aberdeen-music

The Snake Temple Kings - Recordings from Aberdeen's new Prog Rock Band

palmer_eldritch

Hey everyone,

Our new band, The Snake Temple Kings, have some material to share with everyone. These are two songs which, are still works in progress. We're hoping to experiment with more instruments in the near future, but here's how are first two recorded songs are working out anyway.

The band is, Thomas Wheeler (Bass), Thomas Ward (Drums), Andy Philips (Keys), and, myself Rory Will (Guitar, vocals); with more to follow in the near future, hopefully. It was recorded at Musical Vision.

We're looking to get gigging soon, so if anyone could share a thought it would much appreciated!

www.purevolume.com/thesnaketemplekings

Cheers :bat:

I guess i was never likely to enjoy this. In my opinion it was too sluggishly paced, the cliched retro-prog keys made the sound too relentlessly dense, and it just lacked the kind of urgency i like in the music. It just felt kind of staid, like dad rock, lacking any hint of youthful exuberance. That said it was, if not memorable, melodic enough and the singing was tuneful (if kind of unemotive sounding). The playing all sounded pretty competent, but that on it's own doesn't mean much.

That might have seemed rather damning, but it's fair to say that it just isn't to my personal taste, and so you shouldn't (and i'd imagine you're smart enough to not) take my criticism too much to heart.

Edit: I just noticed i wasn't specific about each song, but i think the same criticisms apply to both, although the second song was the better for sounding more dynamic.

I like the direction guys... some cool sounds in there. Rory man, you should sing like that more often in TMNC, a bit off key in places, but the more times you sing the melody in rpactice and so on, you'll get more confident with it.

Particularly in song 1, you could be done with something with more of a change of pace... The bit at the end for me comes in too late in the song, some more time changes would be good.

Song 2 was my preferred listen though... Some great keys/synthy ideas in there... ANd big guitar work. Love the guitar riffs in this one. Would like to hear a bigger bass sound wheeler... THis one has a strong band sound, but you could have some really great vocals in this song...

Good steps in the right direction guys.. look forward to a gig! And if you ever need additional vocals you know where I am.. Great stuff for melodies in there.

(Hope you guys are still in MNC too though wheeler/rory.... :up: )

Sounds good, I think the vocals are a slightly off in places and would benefit if there were some tasty harmonies on them. The instrumental playing is spot on!

Larsen's right about the lack of "youthful exuberance", but it's early days yet and as first recordings they are very, very good!!!

EDIT: I felt relieved when I listened to the tracks as it's hard to play this kind of stuff with out sounding uber-horrible. You show good taste and restraint!

Thanks for the feedback dudes, its appreciated.

Yeah, i see what you mean about the "lack of youthful exuberance". We are writing with different styles at the moment so we're still really looking to find our sound. We'd be looking to incorporate more electronic stuff, with a sequencer and such. These are only our first two tracks, but we're still really looking to do more with them. I'm hoping my singing will get better with more practise, but backing vocals on song 1 are something we'll definately want to be looking at.

Larsen - One day i'll write music you'll enjoy :up:

I like the Mars Volta and Mew are frequently tagged prog. I guess i don't like anything from the original prog era though.

Twas just a light hearted post...

Have you heard so much to say you dont like ANYTHING from the original era?

That covers a whole lotta music!!! o_O

It's not all capes, dungeons and dragons min!

Twas just a light hearted post...

Have you heard so much to say you dont like ANYTHING from the original era?

That covers a whole lotta music!!! o_O

It's not all capes' date=' dungeons and dragons min![/quote']

I don't actively like anything from that era in that everything i have heard i've disliked, but to be honest i haven't all that much. I'm sure there is some prog out there for me somewhere.

I don't actively like anything from that era in that everything i have heard i've disliked' date=' but to be honest i haven't all that much. I'm sure there is some prog out there for me somewhere.[/quote']

For sure, most of it is crap, but there are lots of little gems waiting to be found...

I've now put new versions of the songs up. Same tracks' date=' but Philip (aka MKII), has overdubbed some flute and mellotron on them, so you can get a taster of what we might sound like with Philip in The Snake Temple Kings.

Cheers again Philip for sending those, i'm really digging your additions![/quote']

Eek, you've put them online! 8o

Glad you like the overdubs though. :gringo:

Gosh.....Genesis overkill.

The second track sounds like an outtake from Genesis Live' date=' way too heavy on flute and mellotron, well enough performed but very very dated.[/quote']

Hah, that'll be my fault! :king::jester:

Gosh.....Genesis overkill.

The second track sounds like an outtake from Genesis Live' date=' way too heavy on flute and mellotron, well enough performed but very very dated.[/quote']

Strange, cuz i wrote the songs before i started listening to Genesis, but I guess I can see your point.

Keep in mind, the mellotron and flute parts were just ideas which Philip had overdubbed and sent me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Strange' date=' cuz i wrote the songs before i started listening to Genesis, but I guess I can see your point.

Keep in mind, the mellotron and flute parts were just ideas which Philip had overdubbed and sent me.

Thanks for the feedback![/quote']

Its funny that with prog in general you have to hide your influences more than with any other form of music, if you dare to sound like anyone from the past the critics have a field day, or if the guitar sounds have a little more crunch to them and you dare to use sequenced keyboards they want to define you as prog metal....its a tough old game.

I don't listen to lots and lots of prog rock (King Crimson I like...not sure what else I listen to could really be classed as prog for sure) but I like this, doesn't seem to go on for too long and keeps me interested enough throughout.

The second song's definitely preferred though. The Moorings will lap it up anyways :p

Its funny that with prog in general you have to hide your influences more than with any other form of music' date=' if you dare to sound like anyone from the past the critics have a field day, or if the guitar sounds have a little more crunch to them and you dare to use sequenced keyboards they want to define you as prog metal....its a tough old game.[/quote']

I disagree, the same thing goes for lots of different kinds of music, particularly if it's in vogue at the time, for example anyone with a stab of trebley guitar being a Gang of Four rip-off.

I disagree' date=' the same thing goes for lots of different kinds of music, particularly if it's in vogue at the time, for example anyone with a stab of trebley guitar being a Gang of Four rip-off.[/quote']

Cant see why thats disagreeing, I didnt say it only applied with prog...

I am a big prog fan, both the older stuff such as Yes, Focus and Kansas and new stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X.

Graeme is correct, there is a lot of Genesis there which is a good thing in my opinion as I like Genesis up until the point they got boring (discussion for another topic).

I was quite impressed with the songs. They don't go on for too long, that is just what people used to listening to 2 minute pop songs say. Of course it is possible to make a piece of music too long if you run out of ideas to stimulate the listener. This deffinately isn't the case in these songs. Not everyone has a very long concentration span.

I don't agree with the criticism about the vocal motif coming in again too late in song 1.

The engineer should be shot because of the drum sound but the rest is good sound-quality-wise.

The songs are extremely relaxing in the parts with the vocals. I will try to make sure I see this band live.

I am a big prog fan' date=' both the older stuff such as Yes, Focus and Kansas and new stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X.

Graeme is correct, there is a lot of Genesis there which is a good thing in my opinion as I like Genesis up until the point they got boring (discussion for another topic).

I was quite impressed with the songs. They don't go on for too long, that is just what people used to listening to 2 minute pop songs say. Of course it is possible to make a piece of music too long if you run out of ideas to stimulate the listener. This deffinately isn't the case in these songs. Not everyone has a very long concentration span.

I don't agree with the criticism about the vocal motif coming in again too late in song 1.

The engineer should be shot because of the drum sound but the rest is good sound-quality-wise.

The songs are extremely relaxing in the parts with the vocals. I will try to make sure I see this band live.[/quote']

Very few pop songs are two minutes. People want 3 and a half minutes for pop song satisfaction. And don't treat pop like a dirty word.