aberdeen-music

Whats your favourite The Beatles album?

-matthEw-

Guest DustyDeviada
White album has one stand out track for me' date=' which in my mind is not a Beatles song, its a John Lennon song (Dear Prudence). Lennon himself said after Sgt. Peppers, The Beatles were not the Beatles, it was John Lennon with a backing group or Paul McCartney with a backing group, with Macca reckoning he was in charge......

[/quote']

If the basis for this argument is the fact that they were no longer collaborating on the actual writing of the songs, wouldn't this apply to all of George's tunes up to this point as well? If you accept that Dear Prudence isn't The Beatles but John Lennon plus backing group then surely you have to also say that I Want to Tell You was George Harrison plus backing group?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh I always though "I want to tell you" was a George Harrison song until rediscovering Revolver. But the interview with Lennon I heard and agree with is about the Beatles post the passing of Epstein....its an interesting interview though....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAiTl56uep0&search=lennon%20breakup

But that wouldn't have bee nthe song it is without Macca's Bass line.

I agree about it being the best song on the white album though.

You got me there....although I've heard solo demo versions which work just as well...it is a great bass line though.

Guest DustyDeviada
Heh I always though "I want to tell you" was a George Harrison song until rediscovering Revolver. But the interview with Lennon I heard and agree with is about the Beatles post the passing of Epstein....its an interesting interview though....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAiTl56uep0&search=lennon%20breakup

Yeah, I've heard all that stuff before, there's lots about it on the Anthology DVDs, and it's undoubtedly true that the way they worked was very different in later years.

But they were still The Beatles, and just about everything The Beatles did was better than the stuff they did individually afterwards.

But they were still The Beatles' date=' and just about everything The Beatles did was better than the stuff they did individually afterwards.[/quote']

Totally agree although the likes of Ram, Band On The Run, Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and All Things Must Pass are very good records

Yeah' date=' I've heard all that stuff before, there's lots about it on the Anthology DVDs, and it's undoubtedly true that the way they worked was very different in later years.

But they were still The Beatles, and just about everything The Beatles did was better than the stuff they did individually afterwards.[/quote']

Just bow down to my way of thinking that I hate the Beatles stuff post Peppers/MMT :D:D

Guest DustyDeviada
Totally agree although the likes of Ram' date=' Band On The Run, Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and All Things Must Pass are very good records[/quote']

Yep, there's even a couple of great Ringo sinles in It Don't Come easy and Photograph.

I'm particularly partial to George's Jeff Lynne phase as well, the Travelling Wilburys in particular but Cloud 9 as well.

Yep' date=' there's even a couple of great Ringo sinles in It Don't Come easy and Photograph.

I'm particularly partial to George's Jeff Lynne phase as well, the Travelling Wilburys in particular but Cloud 9 as well.[/quote']

have to agree again on Mr Starkey and "Ringo" is a quite pleasent LP.

The Wilburys first one was OK but I don't like Jeff Lyne's production in general.

There's some decent songs lurking throughout their solo careers but it tends to bottom out towards the 70s and in the 80s but nothing really blindingly brilliant. Macca's Chaos and Creation is not bad although the best thing I've heard from him over the last few decades is MTV Unplugged...but he's got a stunning live show.

Guest DustyDeviada

The Wilburys first one was OK but I don't like Jeff Lyne's production in general.

I like that production style, the Wilburys albums, Cloud 9, Roy Orbison stuff and Tom Petty stuff all sounded pretty good to me.

Not so sure about Free as a Bird, but I think that's because it sounds like John Lennon singing down a mobile phone line. I thought Real Love was better actually.

1.Give Peace A Chance (John)

2.Every Night (Paul)

3.Working Class Hero (John)

4.My Sweet Lord (George)

5.Man We Was Lonely (Paul)

6.Remember (John)

7.All Things Must Pass (George)

8.Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul)

9.Instant Karma (John)

10.Wah Wah (George)

11.It Don't Come Easy (Ringo)

12.Mother (John)

13.Junk (Paul)

14.God (John)

Couple of non-album singles on there' date=' but I reckon they still count. :)[/quote']

That's one strong album!

Hah, the lyrics to God would have been interesting had they released it as a Beatles track.

1.Give Peace A Chance (John)

2.Every Night (Paul)

3.Working Class Hero (John)

4.My Sweet Lord (George)

5.Man We Was Lonely (Paul)

6.Remember (John)

7.All Things Must Pass (George)

8.Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul)

9.Instant Karma (John)

10.Wah Wah (George)

11.It Don't Come Easy (Ringo)

12.Mother (John)

13.Junk (Paul)

14.God (John)

Couple of non-album singles on there' date=' but I reckon they still count. :)[/quote']

Here's a variation on your excellent set of choices

1. Every Night (Paul)

2. What Is Life (George)

3. Instant Karma (John)

4. Another Day (Paul)

5. My Sweet Lord (George)

6. Love (John)

7. All Things Must Pass (George)

8. Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul)

9. Working Class Hero (John)

10. It Don't Come Easy (Ringo)

11. Mother (John)

12. Junk (Paul)

13. Isolation (John)

14. God (John)

Can't believe so few people plumped for Hard Days Night - as someone said earlier, its the Fabs at their pop peak. It was also a real milestone in their development: the first (and only) LP to be comprised of only Lennon/Macartney Songs. Can't help but smile every time I hear that massive "Brrrrrrraaaaaaannnngggggg" at the start of the title track - inspired me to buy a 12 string Rickenbacker.

Would probably take Revolver as the overall champ but every album has something to offer ...yes, even Beates for Sale (No Reply, Eight Days a Week, I'm a Loser, I Don't want to Spoil The Party and I've always had a soft spot for I'll Follow the Sun).

I have to admit I was dubious about the whole Let it Be...Naked thing but I eventually caved in and bought the bugger and its actually rather good - well worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

No.1? I downloaded all of The Beatles albums in one zip file. Couldn't listen to it all...I just disliked too much. Yes they have some fantastic & amazing songs. They also have a lot of substandard songs...well at least to me ears. Not my thing at all. Out of the 350 or songs they have written I can think of about 30 I really like.

Ofcourse not saying they aren't good...just a lot of material doesn't work for me.

the anthology trilogy' date=' a fascinating insight into the workings of the band from start to finish although technically its three albums![/quote']

Mmmm...I think Anthology is only really of use to a Beatles head and even then only to be listened to every now and then. There's some really interesting bits especially the 65-67 period like the Strawberry Fields development.

Mmmm...I think Anthology is only really of use to a Beatles head and even then only to be listened to every now and then. There's some really interesting bits especially the 65-67 period like the Strawberry Fields development.

Putting 'out fakes' on them was a rip off though!

Despite that they are interesting albums!

Guest DustyDeviada
Putting 'out fakes' on them was a rip off though!

Despite that they are interesting albums!

What's an "out fake", is that when they combined more than one out take?

Cause I thought the "out fake" of One After 909 was pretty good, much better than the vesrion on let it Be anyway.

What's an "out fake"' date=' is that when they combined more than one out take?

Cause I thought the "out fake" of One After 909 was pretty good, much better than the vesrion on let it Be anyway.[/quote']

Yup, they may have been more listenable than just one complete take, but it's not what actually took place at the time, so you have what is essentially a fake version.

They chopped up A Day in The Life on Anthology two, thus robbing us of one of the most sublime real out takes(the complete version of the "sugar plum fairy, sugar plum fairy" take) that there is from The Beatles, but on the same album gave us a dreadful full version of Yes It Is!?!?!

Plus, they removed the beautiful harmonies from take 1 of Strawberry Fields Forever!?!?!

Yup' date=' they may have been more listenable than just one complete take, but it's not what actually took place at the time, so you have what is essentially a fake version.

They chopped up A Day in The Life on Anthology two, thus robbing us of one of the most sublime real out takes(the complete version of the "sugar plum fairy, sugar plum fairy" take) that there is from The Beatles, but on the same album gave us a dreadful full version of Yes It Is!?!?!

Plus, they removed the beautiful harmonies from take 1 of Strawberry Fields Forever!?!?![/quote']

But then again some of their "proper" finished songs were parts of different takes anyway.

I waited years to hear the infamous Mary Jane, then I got the 'Sessions' LP on vinyl in the late 80s, which features that and most of the decent unreleased stuff...but it was a dissapointment. Weird though underwhelming.

But then again some of their "proper" finished songs were parts of different takes anyway.

Not in the same way as the out-fakes.

Anyway, I just felt a bit cheated when I discovered some of the music on the albums weren't true out-takes.

Not in the same way as the out-fakes.

Anyway' date=' I just felt a bit cheated when I discovered some of the music on the albums weren't true out-takes.[/quote']

I suppose there had to be a balance between stuff that would appeal to the hardcore obsessive and the more mainstream audience - some people can only take so much of incomplete takes - even I think I would get a bit sick of listening to the entire Twickenham sessions (available on bootleg as "Thirty Days"). Personally I would've loved to have heard more from the "Helter Skelter" session on Anthology 3 which I loved but you can't please all of the people all of the time. For my more obsessive moments which Anthology fails to meet I stick with "Turn me on Deadman" and the Yellow Dog 7cd "Unsurpassed Masters" set.

I suppose there had to be a balance between stuff that would appeal to the hardcore obsessive and the more mainstream audience - some people can only take so much of incomplete takes - even I think I would get a bit sick of listening to the entire Twickenham sessions (available on bootleg as "Thirty Days"). Personally I would've loved to have heard more from the "Helter Skelter" session on Anthology 3 which I loved but you can't please all of the people all of the time. For my more obsessive moments which Anthology fails to meet I stick with "Turn me on Deadman" and the Yellow Dog 7cd "Unsurpassed Masters" set.

I'll have to check those two out. Cheers

I've a load of bootlegs but as you say trawling through the Get Back stuff can be a tad tiresome