aberdeen-music

Would you say that good technical instrumental skill is essential to a good band?

Subbacultcha

As much as I hate guitar wankery' date=' just seen a DVD with Gary Moore doing an amazing version of Hendrix's redhouse...unlike pointless guitar wankery of the 80's, every fucking note he played (no matter how fast, and it was fast!) was valid and musical and not a mere show off of skills. I could even let him off for the stupid faces,[/quote']

He is one of my all time favorite guitarists, I first saw him play with Thin Lizzie in the early 70's he was amazing and 17yrs old I believe.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of hendrix versions but no Gary...

I did a search without success' date=' but I did find this horrid clip...

Ugh, this is how NOT to play the blues... man!

[url']

:puke:

Hehe yeah' date=' maybe a tribute to both?

Moore stunned the crowd by only playing one track...to keep the Hendrix theme going, next up was Jamie Cullum (!?!?!?!?!?) desecrating 'Angel' on his bloody keyboard.....work that one out!!!??![/quote']

Hey....you leave Jamie alone, I saw him at the Nairn jazzfest a couple of years ago and he was very very good...very small but very good.

Guest lime ruined my life
Grrrr' date=' why do people keep saying this, just because someone has crap or limited technique does not mean that they will somehow be able to write better music with more 'feeling'.

Sometimes music NEEDS fast playing etc!

There are plenty of technically superb musicans who dont let their technique get in the way of the music, just as there are plenty of musicians with a lack of technique who do the same.

A great musician, to me, is someone who serves the music(regardless of ability), not their ego.[/quote']

the argument for technically challeneged musicians making good music is more often formed because it seems like a counter-intuitive statement. This makes it more conversation worthy than "i know a great musician, they can play great, i love it!" because that seems kind of obvious, and as such requires less discussion than an artist who manages to impress despite a lack of ability.