aberdeen-music

PS3 release details

MattJimF

take from here

Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

"A completely simultaneous launch is physically impossible," Kutaragi said, "but we believe we'll be able ship to users throughout the world around this time."

Sony's production line is set to pump out one million units per month to meet demand, with a total of six million units to be produced in Fiscal Year 2006 (through March 2007) alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

should be interesting to see how they fair compared to the 360 launch. reckon microsoft have forced their hand a little bit but of course kutaragi would never admit that.

I don't see them doing a simultaneous launch. They've had such big problems in the past with producing enough units that they're going to want a big successful launch - they're not going to get that by selling say a million in each region and having yet more shortages.

It's still too dodgy to predict how things are going to go, but there's still no commercial blu-ray player on the market which is notable - do Sony really intend to launch the PS3 without the technology being mass tested first?

It'll be very, very interesting if Christmas arrives without the PS3 having been launched anywhere, especially if the Revolution turns out to be a killer console.

I don't see them doing a simultaneous launch. They've had such big problems in the past with producing enough units that they're going to want a big successful launch - they're not going to get that by selling say a million in each region and having yet more shortages.

It's still too dodgy to predict how things are going to go' date=' but there's still no commercial blu-ray player on the market which is notable - do Sony really intend to launch the PS3 without the technology being mass tested first?

It'll be very, very interesting if Christmas arrives without the PS3 having been launched anywhere, especially if the Revolution turns out to be a killer console.[/quote']

the revolution won't affect sony or microsoft really, it may well sell shitloads but it's looking at a different market. a market which microsoft have failed utterly to tap into(though this may change with viva pinata) and which sony have only barely got a foothold.

i think now that it's been announced sony will have to do a simultaneous launch or lose face to microsoft who did as near a simultaneous launch as you can get i guess. it's obvious now that there will be shortages and those who claimed the ps3 launch would be handled better than the 360 will find out how wrong they were. as you say blu-ray is still largely untested and along with the thousands of other components required for a ps3 i'd be very surprised if they had less faults than the 360 or they managed to meet their production targets without incident. of course we can only wait and see what happens.

can't wait to see one running though, i might be an xbox fan but i'm a computer game fan first and if it's awesome i'll be getting one.