aberdeen-music

Underflow Presents: Alfa 9, Stanley, Flaming Katy + Steven Milne - 29th March

Underflow are proud to present:

Alfa9

"Formed in Newcastle-under- Lyme a couple of years ago five-piece Alfa 9 have been gigging constantly and honing their art. Forthcoming single, the psychedelic jangle-monster 'For Your Bones' is an artistic statement if ever I heard one. Their debut album Then We Begin puts the band in the same league as Echo & The Bunnymen or The Byrds and on more than equal pegging with the new generation of Liverpool bands like The Coral and The Zutons. Dreamy harmonies, chunky semi-acoustic guitars, spaced out tunes. If you like '60s era Pink Floyd or early Stone Roses you will find something to love and cherish here. 'Little Girl' has a folky hypnotic magic only matched by The Byrds 'Dolphin Smile' or Lennon's 'Julia' from The Beatles White Album. These talented twenty-somethings are going to be big news next year. John Coleman - London 'What's On' - 8 December 2005

".......Classic English rock with a large psychedelic edge, think Stone Roses............Woodstock period Who, Noel Gallagher style wall-of-guitar laced with astral-progressions and unfolding psychedelic brit-rock bite that's rather good for your bones, oh and maybe a bit of Zeppelin tooooooo. Alfa9 are from Up North somewhere - that much is obvious, they rather like their 70's psychedelic artwork and their Freakbeat look, yep, that's also obvious - they're not obvious though, they hint at things but it's never obvious - we've seen a million tiresome Stone Roses/Oasis/Who flavoured wannabes, Alfa9 are a lot more than that. They have a swagger, not too cocky, it's not a chip on the shoulder attitude thing, they just know....." The Organ - October 2005

www.alfa9.co.uk.

www.myspace.com/alfa9

Stanley

Bands rarely enjoy comparisons, but if you were to take the intelligence of The Divine Comedy, the creativity of Radiohead circa The Bends and the soaring vocal talents of Scott Walker you wouldn't be far away. And that can't be bad, can it?

- www.myspace.com/iamstanley

www.iamstanley.com

Flaming Katy

Early in the summer of 2005, Colonel Barrzo, formerly of Glasgow based power trio Manganese, moves to the Granite City. Upon arrival he is inveigled into forming a new band with the artists formerly known as Sons of the Stage....

Flaming Katy is born ....... how brightly and for how long will her bright light burn?

www.myspace.com/flamingkaty

Steven Milne

Acoustic Set from the Little Kicks Frontman.

Wednesday 29th March

The Tunnels

Doors 8PM

Tax: 4/3

Guest Callum, Underflow

Thanks to the bands and everyone who came along, to make it one of the best Underflows we've had so far.:up:

Hope you all enjoyed it, and I'll see you next wed for Viva Stereo and : ( etc.

:cheers:

Yeah, cheers to all who came down, ended up being a great night. Really busy. All the acts were superb, Stanley again reminding me why they're my favourite local band, Flaming Katy were pretty good as well. Alfa 9 blew me away, their lights were fantastic and they even got two thumbs up from Psychedelic Jim. Check them out if you ever get the chance.