aberdeen-music

big band, forgotten album...

Christy

Guest bluesxman
Good choice with Sea change' date=' but I'd disagree with Bossanova, it's my least favourite Pixies record.[/quote']

Philistine! You prefer Trompe Le Monde?? o_O

That is their highest selling album (over 600' date='000 copies).[/quote']

Oh well, i can imagine that. i was more meaning amongst indie-ers or whatever, where everything by them after Yesterday Went Too Soon is regarded as crap (which is largley true, but this is my favourite one by them). I just never hear of anyone who rates it on message boards or whatever.

Guest Gasss
Trompe le Monde is far superior! It's worth it just for distance equals rate times time... In the grand scale of things' date=' both albums are better than 90% of other albums, but Bossanova doesn't do it for me like the rest of them.[/quote']

But there's no surf rock on Trompe Le Monde!

Nice one' date=' my favourite U2 album with October a close second :love:[/quote']

It's a great album. There's so much post-punk brilliance on it, but it's criminally overlooked. I prefer "War" though, from this particular phase in their career....

As a side note (and this may sound silly), but do you not think "October" sounds so very Irish? Whenever I listen to it, I just think of bleak Dublin terracing. I don't know why really, maybe because of the "Gloria" video when they're on that barge in a really shitty urban setting. I guess that doesn't mean it's specifically Irish, but when "Tomorrow" comes on, I can't avoid thinking it. Just like when "Is This Music?" by Teenage Fanclub plays, at the end of "Bandwagonesque", I feel all proud and Scottish with blue and white blood coursing through my veins

Guest bluesxman

I was on hols in Torremelinos (wrong spelling? probably) many moons ago and while supping a Guinness in an Irish pub a strange version of 'Tomorrow' came on, on quizzing the barman it turned out to ce a re-recording by Adam Clayton and Bono on a compilation of Irish music called 'Common Ground'. I bought it when I got home, the rest of the album is unremarkable but that song is still much niceness..

That Teenage Fanclub tune is one of my favourite ever, nice call, was just listening to that the other week along with A Catholic Education.

Guest bluesxman
But there's no surf rock on Trompe Le Monde!

Exactly - Cecilia Ann = one of the greatest album openers ever.....plus it has 'Down By The Well' on it......

I was on hols in Torremelinos (wrong spelling? probably) many moons ago and while supping a Guinness in an Irish pub a strange version of 'Tomorrow' came on' date=' on quizzing the barman it turned out to ce a re-recording by Adam Clayton and Bono on a compilation of Irish music called 'Common Ground'. I bought it when I got home, the rest of the album is unremarkable but that song is still much niceness..

That Teenage Fanclub tune is one of my favourite ever, nice call, was just listening to that the other week along with A Catholic Education.[/quote']

Torremolinos is the festering scab of the world. Full of crusty old British fucks

"Under a Blood Red Sky" is a worthy disc too. Have you heard a studio version of "11 o'clock Tick Tock"? I think it was an early early single, but I would like to hear it.

I don't really like "Is This Music?" actually, I just get patriotic....

Guest bluesxman
Torremolinos is the festering scab of the world. Full of crusty old British fucks

"Under a Blood Red Sky" is a worthy disc too. Have you heard a studio version of "11 o'clock Tick Tock"? I think it was an early early single' date=' but I would like to hear it.

I don't really like "Is This Music?" actually, I just get patriotic....[/quote']

Don't remember much about the place, was over 10 years ago I went. Day trip to Gibraltar sticks in the mind more.

I used to have the 7" of that song, not sure what happened to it. It was weird to hear being used to the live version. First U2 album I ever bought that was.

I have all Aerosmith's studio albums' date=' and I honestly think Nine Lives is one of their best. Even better than Get A Grip![/quote']

Totally agree, I don't know why it got so slated by critics, there's so much stuff on there where they're actually trying to do something new as opposed to sticking to the stadium-rock formula. I need to go out and find it on CD as I bought it when it first came out and cassettes were still a big seller, which as ironically 'retro' as they probably are, they're a fucking nightmare to get to the song you want to hear.