aberdeen-music

Travelling to Paris, Help required

Im visiting Paris next month & im looking for a good hotel/hostel. There are so many online with alot of conflicting reviews/comments' date=' i dont know what to go for. Im looking for somewhere quite central.

Anyone stayed in Paris? Have any recommendations, suggestions etc?

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks[/quote']

We went last year and booked the flight and hotel through Expedia. We stayed at the Kyriad Brancion Hotel, near Georges Brassens park. It was quite small but very cheap. It's near the Porte de Vanves Metro station, you can get this to the centre of Paris (Invalides). The line also intersects with a lot of major lines. It's not too far out. Out hotel room had a nice view of the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Failing that, I recommend somewhere in the latin quarter.

Good luck and ENJOY! Paris is the most romantic place I have ever been to. I would highly recommend it.

I know this isn't directly helpful, but it's what I do when looking for a decent place.

Go on http://www.hostelworld.com and look for hostels. Look at ones with a really good rating, then google their names to see if people have written about them elsewhere - perhaps people will have blogs with pictures/etc so you can get a good idea about the place. Also, look for places that have a lot of comments - I wouldn't personally risk anywhere that didn't have a lot of different comments praising the place - one or two negative comments are fine, but any more than that and alarm bells should go off.

Generally speaking, the more of a web presence a place has, the better.

I would recommend making sure that wherever you get is close to a Métro station - simply because it makes life far, far easier.

I know this isn't directly helpful' date=' but it's what I do when looking for a decent place.

Go on [url']http://www.hostelworld.com and look for hostels. Look at ones with a really good rating, then google their names to see if people have written about them elsewhere - perhaps people will have blogs with pictures/etc so you can get a good idea about the place. Also, look for places that have a lot of comments - I wouldn't personally risk anywhere that didn't have a lot of different comments praising the place - one or two negative comments are fine, but any more than that and alarm bells should go off.

Generally speaking, the more of a web presence a place has, the better.

I would recommend making sure that wherever you get is close to a Mtro station - simply because it makes life far, far easier.

Yes, I would second that. Although, if you're in the centre of Paris, it's hard not to be near a Metro station.

Bare in mind that if you're only looking for somewhere to sleep, then you don't really need something too extravagant.

Good ideas though!

I went to the hostel site you mentioned previously. I was referring to that when i said about the conflicting reviews....Every hostel seems to have vastly contrasting reviews from people who have stayed in them.

Ill be in Paris for 2 nights, then ill be travelling to Angers & then Orleans & back again to Paris. I want to make the most of my time there and see all the attractions, so accomodation that will make this easier would be an attractive option. I dont want to spend much time in my hotel, just need somewhere safe to rest my head at night.

Bare in mind that if you're only looking for somewhere to sleep' date=' then you don't really need something too extravagant.[/quote']

Yeah, I think it's a false economy to go for something that's really extravagant, especially as Paris isn't exactly the cheapest of cities.

I forgot another tip - don't go for a hostel that doesn't have lots of pictures online. Every hostel I've used has had a lot of pictures - and I've never had a bad experience (yet!). It's also wise to make sure that you have details of a backup place nearby - simply because if the one you're in turns out to be unsuitable for some reason, it's good to be prepared. Obviously if you're central, it's no big deal, but it's wise if you go for somewhere that's not dead central.

Also, don't restrict yourself to somewhere dead central - you might find an absolute gem of a place that's a short Mtro hop away from the centre and is significantly better and cheaper. Being central in Paris isn't that much of a deal because there's so much that's not dead in the centre - a good trick is to get a rough idea of where you want to stay, then go hunting in that direction.

I went to the hostel site you mentioned previously. I was referring to that when i said about the conflicting reviews....Every hostel seems to have vastly contrasting reviews from people who have stayed in them.

I see what you mean' date=' I went on and hardly any of them have glowing ratings. I'd go with the top rated ones, but double check on google before booking anything.

Ill be in Paris for 2 nights, then ill be travelling to Angers & then Orleans & back again to Paris. I want to make the most of my time there and see all the attractions, so accomodation that will make this easier would be an attractive option. I dont want to spend much time in my hotel, just need somewhere safe to rest my head at night.

Okay, what you should do is look at a tourist map (there's bound to be one online) and work out where you'd like to base yourself. Follow the crucial rule that you want to be near a Mtro station, then go on hostelworld and see if there's any top rated hostels there. It's also wise to look at a Mtro map and see how it all ties in - as I've found out, planning things in advance means you get a lot more done on a limited time scale, although you lose a lot of the charm of doing things "off the cuff".

What's your budget?

If you can afford it, try to stay in the Latin Quarter. A 2 star hotel there should be about 70 euros for a single. In terms of getting around, that's by far the best option. If not, try to get a hotel near a RER station. The best line is the A because it cuts right across Paris. A chain hotel, like Etap or Campanille is usually fairly good value; and are always close to a station. For example the Etap at Vincennes will cost you 48 euros a night, or at Val de Fontenay its 45 euros. But do your research, shop around, and you'll usually find something at an ok price. French hotels, as a rule, are much less expensive than British ones, and so you might find a better deal in a hotel than a hostel, if you're lucky. If its a small independant hotel, then its worth trying to haggle a bit too.

Just don't have breakfast in the hotel, the boulangeries are always better!

The RER from Vincennes/Val de Fontenay to Chatelet normally takes 15 minutes max, but often more than double that in the rush hour.

Another consideration to make is that transport to zone three will be slightly more expensive, it's around 1 euro 50 for a single journey into Paris, and once you're in zones one and two use t tickets or walk, which is perfectly possible!

If you need any more info, I'll dig out my Paris Pas Cher and have a look in there.

I don't know how much you can spend, this may not be any help to you as its about £70 a night. However i stayed there when i went to paris this summer and it was a great hotel. Its literally a 30 second walk from the louvre, walking distance from the seine, musee d'orsy, verseilles, notre dam, and there's a metro station again 30 seconds walk away. The porters are mega helpful with anything you need (be it directions to somewhere, or a doctor should you manage to get ill while you're there as I did- nothing to do with the hotel I can assure you!!).

The breakfasts not great but you can take as much as you want to set you up for a hard day's sight seeing! It's also pretty easy to get there from the airport, just hop on the train then get a cheap taxi/walk if you're feeling adventurous.

Anyway the hotel is the "Louvre Saint Honore", address: 141 rue St-Honore

75001 Paris

France . You can find it on the BA website (www.ba.com)

Anyway good luck and have a fantastic time!!!

A metro pass would probably be a good investment?

Yeah a metro pass can last 7 days and is quite cheap. It gets you on the Metro and TGV trains. Our hotel (Kyriad Brancion) was not too far from the centre, close to the Porte de Vanves Metro and also close to the Perifirique (the ring road that goes round Paris, like the London Orbital). It is handy staying next to the Perifirique as it's much quicker to get to Charles De Gaulle Airport in a taxi!! Book your taxi to the airport the night before you leave!!! We made this mistake and nearly missed out flight.

The hotel was also near a corner shop (called Shoppie!), a fruitier, an Irish Pub that sold Guiness!, a post office, a chemist and a big park. Very nice!

Its hard to decide on the things you want to see...There are so many & so much tourist information sites....It makes things confusing & difficult!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed. We spent 8 days in Paris and saw everything we wanted to see' date=' but were knackered!!

Must Do's:

[list']

[*]Arc de Triomphe

[*]Eiffel Tower and Trocadero

[*]Montparnasse Tower (highest in Paris)

[*]Notre-Dame

[*]Ile de la Cite

[*]Sacre Coeur

[*]Musee du Louvre

[*]Pigalle (red light district)

[*]Champs du Mars

[*]Champs Elysee

Avoid all the zoos because they are shite!

Yeah a metro pass can last 7 days and is quite cheap. It gets you on the Metro and TGV trains. Our hotel (Kyriad Brancion) was not too far from the centre' date=' close to the Porte de Vanves Metro and also close to the Perifirique (the ring road that goes round Paris, like the London Orbital). It is handy staying next to the Perifirique as it's much quicker to get to Charles De Gaulle Airport in a taxi!! Book your taxi to the airport the night before you leave!!! We made this mistake and nearly missed out flight.

The hotel was also near a corner shop (called Shoppie!), a fruitier, an Irish Pub that sold Guiness!, a post office, a chemist and a big park. Very nice![/quote']

A wee correction there. You mean RER not TGV, completely different things! And with regards transport, the OP said he was only staying 2 nights, just use a 'carnet' of 't' tickets if you're staying in zones 1 or 2, which is 10 euros 70 for 10. If you're staying in zone 3 or 4, it might be worth a Paris Visite card, depending on the length of your stay and if you're going to CDG by RER or bus, then it's probably worth it. If you ever happen to be coming to Paris for a week on a Monday, then you can buy a carte orange like the locals do, which is 15 euros something to zone 3 for a week, bargain! Basically, do your homework and find the best deal depending on your trip. Also remember that the sights of Paris are in relatively close proximity, and the metro interchanges can be massive (do your best to avoid Chatelet if possible!), quite often its quicker to walk, and you get to see more on the way. Get a bus map too, because they will often cover routes that involve a lot of pfaffing (sp?) about on the metro, the 21 being particuarly interesting for tourists.

Getting a taxi to the airport is seriously expensive. If you're leaving in 'unsociable' hours, shall we say, get the Roissybus from Auber, if not the train from Chatelet. Top tip, the day before, if you're passing through Chatelet, go to the Information Desk, and ask when you can get a direct train to CDG. I know that during the day it's at 45 past the hour, but there are other ones as well. It'll save you a good bit of time on the journey, as opposed to the ones which stop at every single station.

Irish pubs, beware, they are very expensive. And to be honest, you're in Paris, do as the Romans do and go to a nice little caf!

Don't worry about not speaking French. Practically everyone wants to speak English to you and will bend over backwards to do so. Which is fine if you don't speak French, a bit annoying if you do...

Have a good time, I'm hoping the weather cheers up, its been really miserable for the past couple of weeks!

Ive found this hotel & it seems quite nice, but having looked at literally hundreds of hostels/hotels, i dont know? Just looking for some reassuring words before i actually book it. So please, take a look at the pages & be honest.

Thanks

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/HotelCaliforniaSaintGermain-Paris-9484#

http://www.california-saint-germain-hotel.com/index.html