aberdeen-music

kef gig on saturday

Guest valley69

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Cloud:

I dunno, this looks funny to me full stop..my way of seeing it though is that Aberdeen is crying out for something different, and the ever friendly Cuts seem to have that part sown up. There's been a lot of queer gigs lately though, this just strikes me as being yet another one that hasn't had much thought put into it. Anyway, is headlining really that important in Aberdeen anyway?

What's the actual running order anyway? are point actually supporting cuts, or what? And more importantly, who on earth are 'no pints'?

You have raised some valid points here...

To be totally honest I think it does matter to a varying degree...

At this level though i never like it to be called "headlining!" You arent headlining, you are "closing the night!"

Ok, if an out of town band that is pretty unknown is playing then stick them on mid bill so people stick around to catch them...thats ALWAYS an awesome idea!! It works!

I dont know the running order here but it does look like the Cuts are closing. Paul Stewart aint stupid and i have a great friendship and working relationship with him so im not gonna put a slur on his character...but to me this bill is one that Point really should have been closing.

However, on the flipside...chances are the Cuts (as they are new at the moment) will have a large crowd so it might make sense for them to go on last...

Who knows? Point really should be at least on second last!

I also think that the whole "weve been around longer" argument isnt totally black and white. I mean, to an extent it does!

Last nites bill at Moshulu was a perfect example of the right way to do things although with the three bands involved it was quite obvious how to do it!

Weapon on first...good band get a decent crowd but only on their 7th gig! Wbl next, awesome band also pull a healthy amount and been around while, Eric Euan got a large following and are named best band in Aberdeen.

You just gotta be careful how you word things and to be honest the initial post got up my nose a bit...i guess experience teaches yu how to word things though!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

Then again, Josephine also played that gig and I thought they were utterly terrible, so what do I know...

you are shitting me...

actually broken sunshine are playing last.

to me its just a local four band line, the words 'headlining' and 'supporting' shouldn't really come into the equation, four bands on an equal level and i for one am looking forward to the gig....

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

To be totally honest I think it does matter to a varying degree...

Yeah, I don't think there's one solution for every gig - but rather it depends on circumstances/etc. I don't think it's as simple as saying that 'oh x band are the biggest, so they should go on last, and x band are new, so they should be first'.

At this level though i never like it to be called "headlining!" You arent headlining, you are "closing the night!"

I have to say, that's one of the most sensible things that I've heard on here. It does depend on the gig though - closing can be a wonderful thing, or an awful thing..it's just one of the little things about here, but of course, there's always the moan that people don't stick around for the last band because of buses/etc.

Ok, if an out of town band that is pretty unknown is playing then stick them on mid bill so people stick around to catch them...thats ALWAYS an awesome idea!! It works!

Should be done more, I agree. I suspect you'd always get people who were fucky about not closing though.

I dont know the running order here but it does look like the Cuts are closing. Paul Stewart aint stupid and i have a great friendship and working relationship with him so im not gonna put a slur on his character...but to me this bill is one that Point really should have been closing.

If, as said, Broken Sunshine are closing, it makes sense to a degree, but only if you consider them a closing act and not a headlining act. I don't know though, this whole gig seems a bit strange to me. It doesn't seem like a 'point' gig anyway.

However, on the flipside...chances are the Cuts (as they are new at the moment) will have a large crowd so it might make sense for them to go on last...

Well, I'll be there wearing my Cuts t-shirt, obtained for a fiver :) I dunno though, they seem to be going along the lines of building a fanbase rather than getting a large crowd from the outset.

Who knows? Point really should be at least on second last!

Well, I'd say that they deserve to have the choice of where to play - not based on who's better, but simply based on who's most likely to drag the most people in.

I also think that the whole "weve been around longer" argument isnt totally black and white. I mean, to an extent it does!

Yeah, I agree...I don't see why a band that's been around for ages should have any sort of status if they aren't pulling people in through the door - although their opinion should be considered, simply based on their experience.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Originally posted by Ben Quik:

arent they that really boring band...no no no im thinking of the Gents...christ!!

the gents are/were coma inducing

josephine on the other hand are ace upbeat punky indie/pop. Ultra cool frontman and super-hot bassist

point should be headlining in the sense that they've been around longer which i think is a totally valid point but you've gotta make sure ppl stay - so if the cuts get lots of people to come....

i don't think we're headlining

anyway stop worrying when people will be on and enjoy the gig!

are any of the bands bringing amps?i think paul was talking about hiring them out and splitting the cost?....

wah, well, i don't particularly care who plays where, i'll be there for the whole lot anyway :p

see, i solved all problems when i promoted my own gig and lost loads of college money in the process, we held a random drunken draw, which resulted in possibly the most fucked up order ever, but it was a great laugh :)

(yes, we had speed metal after acoustic guitar, that's how wonderfully organised it was)

Paul has explained his reasons for running orders of the bands on a number of occations and to be fair, he does know what he is doing. Cuts and Broken sunshine have alot of fans - be it actual fans or just friends showing support - who come and see them. Therefore it makes sense to put them on later to make sure people stick around for the WHOLE show and see ALL the bands, rather than leaving after the 1st two or whatever.

Saying that though, it would be shit to send PoO on first. Simply because there are the veterans of the night. Second Last would be an ideal spot.