aberdeen-music

Americans in Aberdeen

Marillionboy

Curious point. I've just watched a documentary from 1974 about Aberdeen when oil was first making its impact on the city. At that time there was an enormous American invasion and many bars changing to become American themed. The American presence on the streets in the programme is huge.

Despite this, in my entire time in Aberdeen I've never met an American resident there except the odd student. Is this just me or was there some sort of American exodus?

Guest MerryChristmas
Curious point. I've just watched a documentary from 1974 about Aberdeen when oil was first making its impact on the city. At that time there was an enormous American invasion and many bars changing to become American themed. The American presence on the streets in the programme is huge.

Despite this' date=' in my entire time in Aberdeen I've never met an American resident there except the odd student. Is this just me or was there some sort of American exodus?[/quote']

yep but it was a long time ago

they all exodused to the burbs, man

Guest Neubeatz

There was certainly a mass exodus in the second half of the eighties, when persons of all ethnicities walked into their building societies and handed over their house keys before making their way to the airport/harbour/newcastle.

The banks had a field day putting houses to auction for breakfast.

Locals had bumper stickers with the message "Please God, let there be one more oil boom, we promise not to piss it all next time!!!"

Guest Neubeatz

Aye, there is some evidence of that Alan, :)

I at the time rented a room in the servants quarters of a stately home at Cults,

The property developer owner went "under" after a prestigious exec half million development(4 appartent block) he had started building failed to attract any occupants.

The bank asked for some dosh, the result was that the Dutch OIM of the BP Magnus platform aquired the stately home for a pittance, enabling my property developr landlord to complete his project and satisfy his creditors,

For my self and 3 other tennants at his stately home got evicted,

Also he and his family needed a place, so all the tennants in one of his "student flats" got evicted to make way for him.:(

Guest DustyDeviada

There were loads of Americans around when I was a kid in the early 80s. I seem to recall that what is now known as The International School in Milltimber was actually called The American School before they all headed back to Houston.

Worth checking out the film Local Hero to see a gentle take on the Texan influence on North-east life. Great soundtrack too.

Guest tv tanned
There were loads of Americans around when I was a kid in the early 80s. I seem to recall that what is now known as The International School in Milltimber was actually called The American School before they all headed back to Houston.

Yup, we used to get horsed by them at basketball every year.