aberdeen-music

Should people keep their opinions to themselves?

UFB

Just wondering what you all thought about people who admit they don't like a certain band or a certain type of music, but refuse to keep their negative opinions to themselves.

I have no problem with people coming upto me after playing a gig, and saying that wasn't to my taste, but well done anyway, that sort fo thing, but why do some people insist on saying to you over and over again, your band is shit, your band is shit, your band is shit over and over agian you get the message.

This makes me very angry, especially when another person from another band calls you shit over and over again, you would think that they would have some respect for you seeing as they should know how difficult it is to keep on going in a band.

Any thoughts People?

P.S. sorry for the spelling mistake in the title.

Hmmmmmm

I never have this problem nowadays,mind you my bands aren't shit,I think the clue was in the message they repeatedly gave you,perhaps a bit more rehearsal and writing decent tunes will do the trick,and don't charge to see your band till you are worth paying to see,I grudge paying money and wasting time watching talentless bands whos friends misguidedly tell them they are great ,save it for the school dance or youth club.

Maybe I should report the whole story i couldn't be bothered before, but i suppose i should really.

It started when i met someone who is going out with with someone i know, who is also in a band, and i told him that i didn't really like the kind of music his band played but thats just what i think, and he said i don't really like the kind of music i played, thats fair enough, end of it you would think.

then tonight i was talking to him on MSN and he starts hurling abuse at me about my band and how shite he thinks we are, and it all got a bit nasty in the end.

I just didn't like the fact he was taking the piss out of us, and his band have only been together for 3 months, and never played a gig in aberdeen. and we have been playing gigs in aberdeen for a year, granted not big gigs, but people are noticing us, surly if my band was as bad as he says it is, we wouldn't be getting gigs. i just thought he was being stupid and contradicting himself considering his band has never played aberdeen.

I don't mind constructive Critasism, that can help towards being a better band, but just slagging of your band with no reasoning behind it what so ever seems wrong to me.

I will be the first one to admit the band i am in is not the as good as it could be at the moment be we are working on that, but then what band can ever say the are 100% with everything they do.

Thanks very much for the advice, and that is not mean in a sarcastic undertone, i am thankful for the advice, the person in question was someone who i thought was indeed a mature person, who appreciated all types of music, i unfortunatly did sink to his level and got in a pissing contest, which i know regreat.

Cheers steve

Guest DustyDeviada

Hmm, the first post implied that someone had actually come up to you after a gig and said you were shit. That's never happened to me, but then again I am 6' 4''. ;)

But that would be a bit different to getting into a silly argument with someone online which in all reality probably had nothing to do with music.

I personally would never call a band shit....even if I did think they were terrible, its just a rude comment. I would say sry that wasent my thing or something like that. In my opinion, anyone who has the balls to stand on stage and play to people deserves some respect and they will have had to put effort into preparing songs etc...

Mind you If I thought they were awful I would not recommend them....

Has the guy given any constructive* reason to why he thinks your band is shit? If he hasn't the he's probably just a tosser and in which case you shouldn't take it to heart.

Also' date=' please note that MSN has a luxury feature known as, "block", should problems persist then I advise that you indulge yourself in this feature.

* By this I mean your bands ability to perform and play and so forth.[/quote']

Nope did not give any constructive reason why he thinks we are shit, althought i have never had anyone come upto me after a gig and say we are shit, but by all means if you see us play feel free to come up and have you say and give us some constructive reasons why don't like us.

I have since change email address not only was there this perosn on there but alot of people who used to know, but have unfortunatly "changed" for the worst, so i have narrowed down my list contacts now.

Hmm' date=' the first post implied that someone had actually come up to you after a gig and said you were shit. That's never happened to me, but then again I am 6' 4''. ;)[/quote']

Picture the evening......

Punter "your band is shit"

Big guy "Oh yeah? I'm a big guy in case you hadn't noticed so you can't say my band are shit"

Punter "Oh, well, but your band 'are' actually shit, how's that?"

Big guy "Erm, well, erm..."

Punter walks away...

A work of drunk fiction by the way. The original version had a great deal of violence but I felt there was no need...

(Just a giggle)