aberdeen-music

The Hazey Janes+Le Reno Amps+The Vandelays

Graeme

interesting music promotions present

The Hazey Janes+Le Reno Amps+The Vandelays

Thursday 2nd February, The Tunnels-Aberdeen, Entry 5, Doors 8pm, Phone (01224) 211121

The Hazey Janes

Dundee - once famed for jute, jam and journalism is also home to the jangly pop melodies of The Hazey Janes.

After the well-deserved praise and attention heaped on their eponymous mini-album in 2004, the Scottish quartet escaped the Caledonian rain and absconded to Spain. The Hazey Janes' first full-length LP Hotel Radio was recorded at the studios of legendary Spanish producer Paco Loco (Josh Rouse/Golden Smog) in Cadiz; a world away from dreich Dundee and the dull tenement flats where the songs were conceived. Fuelled by the unrelenting Andalucian sun, the band expanded their sound with the addition of more pedal-steel guitar, viola, banjo and melodica.

Acknowledging both the past and the present, the resultant record is packed with life-affirming, driven pop (Your Enemy/Don't Look Away) and breezy Americana (Always There/Step Into The Country). Swooping and soaring with trademark Hazey Janes harmonies, Hotel Radio still makes room for the melancholic melodies of This Place Is Just Not My Kind and Katie Goes.

Some big names from the alt-country scene passed by the studios including Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) who provided backing vocals (Baby Tell Me) and Sara Lee Guthrie who lent an ear. Hotel Radio was mixed by the esteemed John Agnello (Patti Smith /Dinosaur Jr./The Kills) and mastered by Greg Calbi in New York.

The Hazey Janes will be on tour to promote the record.

www.thehazeyjanes.co.uk

Some of you may know that Le Reno Amps recently played their first gig with a bass guitarist and drummer. This may become a regular feature. Tonight however its just the the loveable twosome.

Tonight? It's Thursday right?

I was at the Stereo gig where they first played as a four-piece as my mate is drumming. Sounded pretty good, although I do like them on their own as well.

Tonight? It's Thursday right?

I was at the Stereo gig where they first played as a four-piece as my mate is drumming. Sounded pretty good' date=' although I do like them on their own as well.[/quote']

Yeah, I meant tonight, as in Thursday night. I think they're scared to try the four-piece in Aberdeen!

Sunday Mail Review

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/entertainment/sevendays/tm_objectid=16640037%26method=full%26siteid=64736-name_page.html

HAZEY JANES - HOTEL RADIO *****

This album is just what you need to brighten up a dull winter day. It's upbeat, melodic, country-pop mixed up with power punk. Think The Thrills, The Magic Numbers, The Beach Boys and Teenage Fanclub.

So it comes as a bit of a surprise that it was conceived in Dundee. But the band - Andrew Mitchell, Alice Marra, Matthew Marra and Liam Brennan - did escape to Spain for the recording.

Immersed in country is the lovelorn Moanin' Face, about the tiredness of worn-out relationships, while the upbeat Step Into The Country makes you want to do just that. A heartwarming, cheerful album.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/entertainment/sevendays/tm_objectid=16640037%26method=full%26siteid=64736-name_page.html

HAZEY JANES - HOTEL RADIO *****

This album is just what you need to brighten up a dull winter day. It's upbeat' date=' melodic, country-pop mixed up with power punk. Think The Thrills, The Magic Numbers, The Beach Boys and Teenage Fanclub.

So it comes as a bit of a surprise that it was conceived in Dundee. But the band - Andrew Mitchell, Alice Marra, Matthew Marra and Liam Brennan - did escape to Spain for the recording.

Immersed in country is the lovelorn Moanin' Face, about the tiredness of worn-out relationships, while the upbeat Step Into The Country makes you want to do just that. A heartwarming, cheerful album.[/quote']

thank you & just a reminder, its tonight

Just for fun. I'm having a competition. Send me a PM saying what the connection between The Hazey Janes and my Avatar is before 4pm and one lucky winner (drawn from an imaginary hat) will gain free entry. The winner will be informed before 5pm.

its fairly obviously your real life picture & your Jane in the Hazey Janes

therefore

crossdressing

is the answer

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The winner has been informed. I'm impressed by those that knew the answer. For those that didn't. My Avatar is the very Scottish' date=' none cross dressing Michael Marra, father of Matthew and Alice from The Hazey Janes.[/quote']

Thanks to Graeme and Mike for my free entry :up: Nice to meet you guys in the flesh.

Gig was great and The Hazey Janes impressed me more than I thought they would. I'll have to give their CD a spin later on. The Amps were, as always, marvellous and my first time seeing The Vandelays gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Top night.

The winner has been informed. I'm impressed by those that knew the answer. For those that didn't. My Avatar is the very Scottish' date=' none cross dressing Michael Marra, father of Matthew and Alice from The Hazey Janes.[/quote']

A little bird tells me that Marra is appearing in a play up here. Any more info Graeme?