aberdeen-music

femora..

Guest sludge

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it at times. Vocals could have been louder though I could tell you could sing. that's a comment on the mix, not your voice projection. sometimes i thought it would have suited you to have more clean guitar mixed in with the distorted guitar, but then you did that later on anyway. i heard bits of deftones, mudvayne, slipknot and other things less heavy too that i can't really place a name on just now. haven't really heard a band like femora for a while, will be interesting to see what you do next.

Originally posted by spellchecker:

Vocals could have been louder though I could tell you could sing. that's a comment on the mix, not your voice projection.

I agree with that, but when you could hear them properly, the vocals were ace. You guys were just the right side of too heavy, and really musical and melodic as well. With heavy music, there is a horrible tendancy to start shouting and roaring all the time, but you managed to stay away from that (although your drummers roars were awesome) and make actual 'music'. And to top it all off, you seem like really nice guys as well, which I think is really important.

Originally posted by spellchecker:

Vocals could have been louder though I could tell you could sing. that's a comment on the mix, not your voice projection.

How do you know the PA wasn't at max and that's the loudest they could get the vocals, in which case it would be a comment on voice projection.

Originally posted by soundian:

How do you know the PA wasn't at max and that's the loudest they could get the vocals, in which case it would be a comment on voice projection.

When MMW played straight after the sound guy mooved all the sliders up to the max, it was sore on my ears standing close to the speakers. The femora set was a lot quieter and the guitar ballance wasn't perfect. (Although i dont know if it was supposed to be - and i'm rabbling on about their first gig at moshulu)

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

When MMW played straight after the sound guy mooved all the sliders up to the max, it was sore on my ears standing close to the speakers. The femora set was a lot quieter and the guitar ballance wasn't perfect. (Although i dont know if it was supposed to be - and i'm rabbling on about their first gig at moshulu)

Of course it's gonna be sore on your ears if you stand next to the speakers.

Anyway it's the gig at Drakes Spellchecker was talking about. I was pointing out that unless he'd seen (and understood) what was happening on the sound-desk, it was only an assumption it was a sound problem. I wasn't making any assumptions myself as to where the perceived problem was.

Guitar balance, especially near the stage, will be altered by the guitarists amp levels. You were standing to one side (unless you're 20 ft wide and could stand next to all the speakers simultaneously), so it's natural to assume one guitar would have been louder, the other amp would have been at least twice as far away from you.

If he moved ALL the sliders up to max (how you spotted this standing next to the speakers?), you'd be back to square one in the mix, just louder and probably with a fair amount of added feedback.

Nice!

Originally posted by serious soundian:

Of course it's gonna be sore on your ears if you stand next to the speakers.

Doesn't mean i stayed there

Guitar balance, especially near the stage, will be altered by the guitarists amp levels. You were standing to one side (unless you're 20 ft wide and could stand next to all the speakers simultaneously), so it's natural to assume one guitar would have been louder, the other amp would have been at least twice as far away from you.

Doesn't mean i stayed there

If he moved ALL the sliders up to max (how you spotted this standing next to the speakers?), you'd be back to square one in the mix, just louder and probably with a fair amount of added feedback.

Doesn't mean i stayed there - and it was clearly an exaggeration - but touch anyway

Originally posted by soundian:

Then shouldn't the guitar amps have been turned down if the PA was at max? There were two guitars and one bass. I've never seen a band at drakes where the drums have drowned out the band, yet have often seen guitars overwhelm the mix. At least, that's always what I've heard you moan on about ;)