aberdeen-music

Mogwai - "Mr Beast" Track Listing

french_disko

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/05-12/13.shtml

Mogwai Reveal Mr. Beast Tracklist

Matthew Solarski reports:

March 6 marks the return of the mighty Mogwai, the Scottish post-rock combo of choice for dreamers young and old. On that hallowed date, Matador will unleash Mr. Beast, the revered fivesome's fifth album proper, featuring ten epic tracks and described by Mogwai manager and erstwhile Creation Records guru Alan McGee as "probably the greatest art rock record that I've been involved in since My Bloody Valentine's Loveless", and "possibly better than Loveless." So, like, post-phenomenal.

Those in the know are forecasting a return to form for the Mogwai, apparently in part a reaction to 2003's deliberately toned-down Happy Music For Happy People. Stuart Braithwaite declares in a Matador press release that he and his bandmates "really missed making a lot of noise!" He goes on to admit: "Although only about 25 percent of the new album is actually noise, that's the one thing we consciously had in mind when we set out."

Nevertheless, what Mr. Beast ain't is Young Team (Reprise), as Braithwaite and company also strove to expand their sonic horizons with this latest release. Since the band's inception, says Stuart, "we knew we were in this for the long haul and we knew we wanted to be making worthwhile, important music until the day our hands stop working, so it serves our purpose to challenge ourselves, on every level." And a noble pursuit that is.

Recorded in Mogwai's Castle of Doom studios and produced by Tony Doogan, Mr. Beast features contributions from composer Craig Armstrong, who lends keyboards to the track "I Chose Horses", and Tetsuya Fukagawa of Japanese post-hardcore epic-mongers Envy (signed to Mogwai's own Rock Action label), who shares his lovely vocals on the same track.

And now, the numbers of the Beast:

01 Auto Rock

02 Glasgow Mega-Snake

03 Acid Food

04 Travel Is Dangerous

05 Team Handed

06 Friend of the Night

07 Emergency Trap

08 Folk Death 95

09 I Chose Horses

10 We're No Here

Mogwai will take their new tunes out for a spin next year with gigs in Europe and Japan. A U.S. tour is scheduled to follow, dates to be announced.

Rock action:

01-07 Dublin, Ireland - Temple Bar Music Centre

01-08 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Spring and Airbrake

01-10 London, England - ICA

01-11 London, England - ICA

01-12 London, England - ICA

01-13 London, England - ICA

01-14 London, England - ICA

01-21 Moscow, Russia - Apelsin

01-24 Tokyo, Japan - Unit *

01-25 Tokyo, Japan - Unit #

* with Melt-Banana

# with Afrirampo

Guest bluesxman
but the bands manager likened to it Loveless...

He only said he thought it was the best 'art rock' record he'd been involved with since Loveless and then added he thought it may even be better. Or maybe i'm reading it differently than anyone else....

after 3 listens or so i've decided it's quite a good album but by no means a departure from previous mogwai efforts. more rock action than young team but when it rocks it sure rocks. i think my favourite track is glasgow mega snake. i'm a little disappointed though i know i shouldn't be. damn alan mcgee getting my hopes up too much. :)

I think it's pish. Post rock by numbers. Glasgow Mega Snake is so generic it could be by just about any Glasgow post-rock band. Mogwai were my favourite band in 1997

i don't think it's pish but yea there is an feeling of 'post-rock by numbers'. but maybe that's because mogwai have had such a big part in shaping that particular sound and style. i've listened to it all morning and i do think it's a disappointment. it's just too comfortable and bland. there's moments where it doesn't command any attention at all and you just drift off. tis a shame. i think i wanted to love this album a bit too much. maybe if i come back to it later after forgetting it's existence it'll sound better. there are some good moments though and while glasgow mega snake is generic, it's done very well and rocks along at a good pace. it's one of the more immediate tracks anyway.

I think it's pish. Post rock by numbers. Glasgow Mega Snake is so generic it could be by just about any Glasgow post-rock band. Mogwai were my favourite band in 1997

For my own education how many Glasgow post-rock bands can you name? I just thought of this after reading about Sons and Daughters saying nobody was interested in them in Glasgow when they first appeared because Glasgow was so dominated by post-rock bands at the time.

empire builder' date=' ganger, life without buildings, aereogramme, el hombre trajaedo, g plan, cayto, eska, uter, il casio illuminitas, scatter

have all be associated/dabbled in glasgow post rock scene over the years

these are all pretty established bands as far as scotland goes, im sure there are a whole load more[/quote']

I know most those names but had no idea they were post-rocking weegies apart from Aerogramme.

• 2 weeks later...