aberdeen-music

Why Don`t the Lorelei Reform?

Ross

Originally posted by Ross:

Aww.... I was looking forward to some Mandalin action...

The correct term is of course poofbat...

Unfortunately as the band now have barely a liver left between them a return is not on the cards. Funnily enough I was speaking to Simon LemonTree about the very same thing nobbut two nights ago, and he was being very persuasive indeed. But no. None of ver kids nowadays would give a monkeys anyways. It's all floppy fringes and angst these days isn't it?

Originally posted by Ross:

Mr Frosty is there still a folk scene in Aberdeen.....?

I'm sure there is, but personally I was never really much of a folkie so wouldn't really know. I'm sure Bodhisattvostsit or others would probably know more about it than me. I'm hearing good things about Pottedheid these days though...

Satan would indeed be skating to work the day the Lorelei reform - even for the levellers - for many reasons which I won't elaborate on, but one which I will is geography. One member of the Lorerei is now in London, and another in Dundee, so logistically it's impossible.

The folk scene in Aberdeen is still, as far as I'm aware, very healthy. The last I heard, the folk club met in one of the pubs on the castlegate, but I'm afraid I don't know which one.

There are several traditional music sessions to be had however.

Tuesday evening - The Globe

Wednesday evening - bar at the Prince Regent (so I've heard, never been)

Sunday evening - The Prince of Wales

Last Friday of every Month - Woodend barn, Banchory

I believe there is also a session at the Blue Lamp, on a Monday I think, but again I've never been.

The Globe and Prince Regent sessions are frequented by a lot of people from the SCAT classes.

http://www.scat2000.co.uk

A fantastic resource for anyone interested in traditional scottish/irish/celtic sessions can be found at

http://www.thesession.org

Regards

Flossie Suvara (getting chufties from this thread)

Which band did Wendy Frenzy - was that The Dreaming, Loreli(sp?), or one of the other early 90s bands who used to play Union Terrace Gardens ? I seem to remember them doing a sheep song - a la Levelllers meets Lawnmower Deth.

Now if Loveless were to reform The Liars and Mogwai would be shaking in their boots:up:

Dave

Guest highroller

Fucking awesome band!!

Love the mini album Schiffer...its incredible...in ways they were like Alice In Chains and in ways were better??!!

James, the guitarist was great and taught me guitar one summer!!

Matt had an awesome voice...he worked in one up then went to Fopp...not sure where he is now....

One God Universe were truly a fantastic band - however, they too are scattered to the four winds.

Matt is no longer in Aberdeen, but can't remember where he is now

James (Jensen) - last I heard he was teaching English in South East Asia

Gordon (Smeggy) - saw him in Aberdeen a couple of years ago - don't know if he's still about.

Ross - haven't seen/heard of him for a long long time.

Ragudave - The lorelei did Wendy Frenzy, and the sheep song was called "Goat"

Regards

Flossie Suvara

Guest highroller

Also the Aberdeen footie player had links with OGU, he played some adtional percussion on the album!! They were worthy of Huge things!! I listen to mine every now and again...

Originally posted by New Found Power:

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't Suvara Lorelei 2.0 anyway?

NO!

Definitely not. Some members of Suvara were in the Lorelei, but they are very different bands. Different songwriters, different style. Please don't make that connection, we never have and really don't want to. Anyway, we're changing the name soon, and keeping Suvara as an acoustic only offshoot. Not saying what the new name will be though, so hopefully we can be judged on our own merits. That's very important.

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

Also the Aberdeen footie player had links with OGU, he played some adtional percussion on the album!! They were worthy of Huge things!! I listen to mine every now and again...

Rrrrrico....! Lee Richardson, I saw him recording his bits. There's a few stories about him, that's for sure...

Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

NO!

Definitely not. Some members of Suvara were in the Lorelei, but they are very different bands. Different songwriters, different style. Please don't make that connection, we never have and really don't want to. Anyway, we're changing the name soon, and keeping Suvara as an acoustic only offshoot. Not saying what the new name will be though, so hopefully we can be judged on our own merits. That's very important.

Well I've never heard the Lorelei, but Suvara get my vote.