aberdeen-music

Stewart Milne worth more than Romanov?

Stray Cat

Anyway' date=' for purely aesthetic reasons alone, Pittodrie should be demolished. It looks utterly ridiculous. Refurbishing it would be like polishing a turd. Let's get a custom built 25000 seat arena which Aberdeen can be proud of.

.[/quote']

..but the crux of the matter being that the Dons are still performing far below potential, a standard that building a new stadium would only dent further.

So why should Aberdeen supporters have any obligation to 'conveniencing' local residents' date=' who's tower blocks probably came a long time after Pittodrie?[/quote']

Same could be said about the Bouley bashers. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that people move next door to things like red light districts, football stadiums, etc, then complain about it afterwards. I like the idea personally of telling the residents to fuck off, but doing that would just get any proposal bogged down in legal challenges forevermore.

Why should care less if Pittodrie isn't the community central of Aberdeen?

A decent community stadium is something to be proud of, Dunfermline were making massive inroads in that respect with the plastic pitch until the SPL fucked them over. If it's a decent stadium in respects to the community, you can then rent it out for things and make a killing, which pays for the new stadium.

Similarly I don't give a shit if the toilets reek and the pies have brain in them.

Don't have much commercial sense then, do you?

Nice toilets and decent catering facilities will attract fans rather than repulse them - modern sport is about a complete package, not just about the sport at hand. If you're spending a ridiculous amount on money on tickets, the least you expect is decent toilets (seen the Merkland Stand toilets lately? they're an absolute disgrace) and decent catering facilities.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Well, if you're happy for Aberdeen to have a decrepit stadium that's a shame on the community, especially in the face of some of the other stadia in the SPL...

Unfortunately, Aberdeen City Council seems happy to let their facilities slide into the gutter. Look at the state of the municipal pitches for a start, then look further at the state of the Chris Anderson Stadium and you start to realise how chronic the under investment is in Aberdeen. Even the last facility built by the council, the Linx Ice Arena is a ridiculous example of an arena that could've been so much more, but they didn't build the west side with seats, meaning it's useless for top level hockey :\

..but the crux of the matter being that the Dons are still performing far below potential, a standard that building a new stadium would only dent further.

Are they, though?

Aberdeen fans were spoilt by the 80's and early 90's, helped by the fact that Celtic were atrocious back then (and in dire financial straits, I think?) - but at the end of the day, they're just a provincial team. Finishing top 6 is what we should be aiming for consistently, anything better is just a bonus. We'll never compete with the Old Firm on a sustained basis because of bigotry filling their pockets.

Anyway, a new stadium should be largely self financing, once you consider the money they'll get from selling Pittodrie combined with money from the Council to build the thing.

..but the crux of the matter being that the Dons are still performing far below potential' date=' a standard that building a new stadium would only dent further.[/quote']

That has nothing to do with SM though has it? Even Caulderwood has admitted that he's frustrated with the team, they are capable of doing so much better, but seem to be up at down in the performance stakes.

Cloud is right though, Pittodrie is a decrepid place, i had the chance to wonder around the entire stadium, and a lot of it is in bad need of repair that would cost too much. Hearts and Hibs are just as bad, but they only really have one to two stands to sort out (although the pitch is far too close to the stands at Hearts.). At Pittodrie the south stand is still the terracing but with seats shoved ontop, the away section have a portacabin for a food stall and portaloos for toilets, they just installed a disalbed section last year, the main stand is primarally wood, the Dick donald stand looks bloody stupid towering over the other stands, it's far too easy to jump the wall at the south stand/merkland road. I could go on but there is just too much wrong with pittodrie.

Some excellent points there, folks.

I can't be arsed typing out a whole story so I'll summarise what I think in points:

- Pittodrie is a dump. We need to move. A move out the way would be no bad thing.

- Stewart Milne has no obligation whatsoever to invest in Abedreen. He keeps us from going into administration, has paid Seve's wages personally for a season and a half and has contributed greatly by creating a manageable wage structure that will, in time, clear the debt. Someone touched on this earlier, but if you're nae a season ticket holder, stop whining about how rich the man is and how "10 million's nae much to a man wi his money" etc. etc.

- When Milne actually made cash available to sign players what happened - 500,000 was spent in the close season - Let's re - cap what Jimmy C spent this cash on -

Steve Lovell, 200,000 - 9 appearances, scored one league goal, been out injured for most of the season. Those who thought Whelan was shite, we have a worse player already. Rumour has it he's not even injured and just wants out. A truly dire signing so far.

Barry Nicholson, 250,000 - Played every game this season, scored one league goal, played well in approximately two games. Severly underachieving. Remember how great he was at Dunfermline? Hasn't come close to what he's capable of.

Stevie Crawford, 50,000 - 12 appearances, 3 goals (1 dubious) Playing a s a lone striker most of the time hasn't done thi sonce prolific scorer any good, but we're looking at a striker at the end of his career who hasn't injected any much needed goal threat to the front line.

So, 500,000 spent. Which other teams in the SPL outwith the Old Firm spent that kind of money? Second place Hearts? Nope. Third placed Hibs? Nope. Fourth placed Killie? Nope. NOBODY! It doesn't matter if Milne is worth more than Romanov! Both men keep their respective clubs from going under but the difference to date is Milne has given hard cash to his club - Romanov has taken on a load of (very, very good) loan players. Jimmy lost two of our key players (McGuire and Heikkenen) and has so far succeeded in siging / loaning inferior players. All with the exception of Jamie Smith, who is far too good for our current mediocre shite and I wouldn't be surprised if he buggered off to better things. Remember Kristjannsen and Mixu's brothers last season? Inspired signings. The fact is Jimmy has taken a quality, hard to beat side from last season and turned it into a lightweight, non - threatening team who deserve their mid table placing.

Foster, Stewart, Muirhead, Dempsey - All TERRIBLE players who wouldn't even get a game for Gretna are still used by Jimmy. I can't quite put it into words - All I can say is we really do deserve to be where we are when we have pish like that in the squad. We are weaker in practically every department compared to last season.

What i'm really trying to say is - Don't blame Milne for what's happening. It's not his fault. We have a shite team who can't string two passes together and have a severe lack of quality. It's the Managers fault, not the Chairmans.

if you're nae a season ticket holder' date=' stop whining about how rich the man is and how "10 million's nae much to a man wi his money" etc. etc.

[/quote']

I pay for 2 season tickets every season, I for pay the red lottery, programmes & half time draw tickets every week so I can "whine" all I like.

I pay for 2 season tickets every season' date=' I for pay the red lottery, programmes & half time draw tickets every week so I can "whine" all I like.[/quote']

Read what I said - if you're nae a season ticket holder, stop whining

You are a season ticket holder, so you're entitled to your opinion as much as I am and are not "whining" about the fitba.

So don't whine if you misread something :dunce:

Guest The Voyeur
Some excellent points there' date=' folks.

I can't be arsed typing out a whole story so I'll summarise what I think in points:

- Pittodrie is a dump. We need to move. A move out the way would be no bad thing.

- Stewart Milne has no obligation whatsoever to invest in Abedreen. He keeps us from going into administration, has paid Seve's wages personally for a season and a half and has contributed greatly by creating a manageable wage structure that will, in time, clear the debt. Someone touched on this earlier, but if you're nae a season ticket holder, stop whining about how rich the man is and how "10 million's nae much to a man wi his money" etc. etc.

- When Milne actually made cash available to sign players what happened - 500,000 was spent in the close season - Let's re - cap what Jimmy C spent this cash on -

Steve Lovell, 200,000 - 9 appearances, scored one league goal, been out injured for most of the season. Those who thought Whelan was shite, we have a worse player already. Rumour has it he's not even injured and just wants out. A truly dire signing so far.

Barry Nicholson, 250,000 - Played every game this season, scored one league goal, played well in approximately two games. Severly underachieving. Remember how great he was at Dunfermline? Hasn't come close to what he's capable of.

Stevie Crawford, 50,000 - 12 appearances, 3 goals (1 dubious) Playing a s a lone striker most of the time hasn't done thi sonce prolific scorer any good, but we're looking at a striker at the end of his career who hasn't injected any much needed goal threat to the front line.

So, 500,000 spent. Which other teams in the SPL outwith the Old Firm spent that kind of money? Second place Hearts? Nope. Third placed Hibs? Nope. Fourth placed Killie? Nope. NOBODY! It doesn't matter if Milne is worth more than Romanov! Both men keep their respective clubs from going under but the difference to date is Milne has given hard cash to his club - Romanov has taken on a load of (very, very good) loan players. Jimmy lost two of our key players (McGuire and Heikkenen) and has so far succeeded in siging / loaning inferior players. All with the exception of Jamie Smith, who is far too good for our current mediocre shite and I wouldn't be surprised if he buggered off to better things. Remember Kristjannsen and Mixu's brothers last season? [i']Inspired signings. The fact is Jimmy has taken a quality, hard to beat side from last season and turned it into a lightweight, non - threatening team who deserve their mid table placing.

Foster, Stewart, Muirhead, Dempsey - All TERRIBLE players who wouldn't even get a game for Gretna are still used by Jimmy. I can't quite put it into words - All I can say is we really do deserve to be where we are when we have pish like that in the squad. We are weaker in practically every department compared to last season.

What i'm really trying to say is - Don't blame Milne for what's happening. It's not his fault. We have a shite team who can't string two passes together and have a severe lack of quality. It's the Managers fault, not the Chairmans.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Calderwood is the most overrated manager in the SPL. While I would admit that he is a far more talented coach than Paterson and Skovdahl, who were both absolutely appalling managers. Calderwood worryingly believes his own hype and he is very adept at manipulating the local press and national media into believing that he is a top quality coach, where in reality he is an extremely average manager with an inflated ego.

His signings apart from Smith and Severin have been extremely dubious to say the least. He frequently berates and belittles his own players, which I can understand the fans doing but if your manager at work constantly humilated you in public then your very unlikely to want to do him a good turn. If your an average player then you need your manager to give you a boost and motivate into you playing well. He signed the players then he needs to back him and motivate them to punch above their weight.

What annoys me about Calderwood is the fact he is deferential to the Old Firm and is willing to submit to Scottish football's status quo. He would probably prefer to see Rangers and Celtic dominate and have the diddy teams scramble for third place. It certainly would make his job easier and all he would have to do is wheel out the old excuses about having having no money to compete with the Old Firm. Hibs have gone against the grain and proved that if you can beat teams like Livingston and Motherwell on a regular basis then you can challenge. Rangers and Celtic are nothing special. There are no superstars in either of those teams.

Hibs are a smaller club than Aberdeen. They just clearly have a more efficient youth policy, scouting network and of course a much better manager.