aberdeen-music

Good News for Jester, Bad News for Music Fans Everywhere

Guest DustyDeviada

Guest DustyDeviada

Noooooooo! (In a Darth Vader stylee)

Gabriel's in on the act too - looks like this is going to happen.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/8784854?rnd=1131971858890&has-player=false

Amazing how the disintegration of a solo career can hasten the reformation of groups (see also McCartney/The Beatles and no doubt Robbie Williams/Take That in a couple of years time).

Noooooooo! (In a Darth Vader stylee)

Gabriel's in on the act too - looks like this is going to happen.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/8784854?rnd=1131971858890&has-player=false

Amazing how the disintegration of a solo career can hasten the reformation of groups (see also McCartney/The Beatles and no doubt Robbie Williams/Take That in a couple of years time).

Certainly in Gabriel and Collins case they're as big live draws as Genesis is likely to be both doing sold out SECC shows in the last few years. Its unlikely they'd do an album (though you never know) so for these guys they may well make less money as they have to share the Genesis stuff 5 ways instead of paying a smaller wage to the musicians.

On reformation news the Eagles are playing Hampde, on a sadder note, 82-50 a ticket !!!!!

I saw them last tour and paid 35 and I thought that was expensive but it was worth it, there'll be a lot of empty seats at that ticket price i think.

Cheers

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

Phew, this is from Peter Gabriels site:

"Genesis Reunion

This has been the main topic of conversation recently and many of you have written in asking for the official word. I'm told that sadly, there is no truth in it; this rumour seems to come and go every few years and we think that this particular one has been fuelled by the fact that Phil, Peter and Steve Hackett have all been interviewed lately in connection with their solo careers and they are always asked about the Band. They all say the same thing; that they remain good friends and although there are no specific plans, they would not rule out the possibility at some time - although getting the five of them together would prove too hard given their various solo commitments."

I can genuinely say that I am not jealous of Phil Collins for his success/money. There are plenty of musicians who are much more succesful/wealthy who I have tremendous respect for' date=' say Paul McCartney or Elton John. They seem like decent blokes. However, here are ten sound reasons to hate Phil Collins:

1. Playing both Live Aids and feeling very pleased with himself about it.

2. Playing all the instruments on the "Both Sides" album just to show off (even though he can't play guitar and his keyboard/guitar simulations were awful).

3. Miami Vice

4. "Discovering" world music about 15 years after Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel, and releasing a Graceland knock-off. On the plus side, that seemed to kill off his career, record sales wise, so it wasn't all bad.

5. Yes, we know you played the Artful Dodger in Oliver. Stop going on about it at every available opportunity in an attempt to paint yourself as a loveable, cocney, cheeky-chappie. Beacuse you're not.

6. Tarzan, although it did lead to the hilarous post-awards reaction from South Park's Trey Parker & Matt Stone ("I can't believe we lost to Phil Collins") and subsequent ridicule in South Park

7. Dumping his wife by fax and shagging his nanny

8. He, along with his Genesis co-horts (Gabriel excluded) bought a sizeable section of Mull. They allowed the planting of thousands of non indigenous pine trees that managed to turn the land into an acidy swamp that nothing could live off.

9. The lyrics to Another Day in Paradise

10. Buster[/quote']

Jesus some folk are sad! Going on to PG's site just to confirm there is no reunion planned. I don't go on to Michael Bolton's to find out if there's any danger he might be touring.

As for this Collins is a C*** thing: yawn yawn. He never shagged his nanny, that was actually Chris de Burgh, so get your facts right. He never dumped his wife by fax either: if you choose to live your life being gullible enough to fall for second hand tabloid headlines then that's your loss.

He was asked to play both Live Aids by the artists in question. I can't for the life of me see how only playing one of them or both has any bearing on whether he's a C*** or not. Next thing you'll be perpetuating the remour that he "ruined" Led Zep's set.

As for acting issues, he turned down Miami Vice saying "I'm not an actor" which isn't exactly "going on about Oliver all the time". He agreed to a one line cameo only to get there and find it had been rewritten into a major role which he enjoyed and led to other work, including, unfortunastely, Buster, which he's actually pretty sound in if a little overeager. The problem is that the film is repulsive and he wa naive to say the least about it. I would have thought being booted out of the Princes Trust due to the tabloid furore over it was punishment enough.

He never bought any of Mull. You're confusing him with Tony Banks.

None of the reasons you listed excluding the ones that are factually inaccurate are sound reasons for hating him. Meet him and make your own judgement maybe? Of if The Sun or whoever told you to stick your hand in a fire would you believe that too?

John Lennon was according to countless sources homophobic, anti-Semitic and violent on occasion. George Best repeatedly drove a car pissed out of his head. Great blokes huh.

Oh and don't tell me, you probably think PC is a Tory too don't you.

To me he's a good drummer, end of. Wouldn't choose to listen to his sdolo stuff or his Genesis stuff with him singing much either. But I don't get up an hour early each day so I can hate him more either.

Guest bluesxman
Jesus some folk are sad! Going on to PG's site just to confirm there is no reunion planned. I don't go on to Michael Bolton's to find out if there's any danger he might be touring.

As for this Collins is a C*** thing: yawn yawn. He never shagged his nanny' date=' that was actually Chris de Burgh, so get your facts right. He never dumped his wife by fax either: if you choose to live your life being gullible enough to fall for second hand tabloid headlines then that's your loss.

He was asked to play both Live Aids by the artists in question. I can't for the life of me see how only playing one of them or both has any bearing on whether he's a C*** or not. Next thing you'll be perpetuating the remour that he "ruined" Led Zep's set.

As for acting issues, he turned down Miami Vice saying "I'm not an actor" which isn't exactly "going on about Oliver all the time". He agreed to a one line cameo only to get there and find it had been rewritten into a major role which he enjoyed and led to other work, including, unfortunastely, Buster, which he's actually pretty sound in if a little overeager. The problem is that the film is repulsive and he wa naive to say the least about it. I would have thought being booted out of the Princes Trust due to the tabloid furore over it was punishment enough.

He never bought any of Mull. You're confusing him with Tony Banks.

None of the reasons you listed excluding the ones that are factually inaccurate are sound reasons for hating him. Meet him and make your own judgement maybe? Of if The Sun or whoever told you to stick your hand in a fire would you believe that too?

John Lennon was according to countless sources homophobic, anti-Semitic and violent on occasion. George Best repeatedly drove a car pissed out of his head. Great blokes huh.

Oh and don't tell me, you probably think PC is a Tory too don't you.

To me he's a good drummer, end of. Wouldn't choose to listen to his sdolo stuff or his Genesis stuff with him singing much either. But I don't get up an hour early each day so I can hate him more either.[/quote']

Thanks for all that. But I hate him because he is actually a c**t who makes god awful music.

Umm, no, I saw a thread over at progarchives and it reminded me of this one, so I posted what PG's site had said regarding the reunion.

5. Yes' date=' we know you played the Artful Dodger in Oliver. Stop going on about it at every available opportunity in an attempt to paint yourself as a loveable, cocney, cheeky-chappie. Beacuse you're not.[/quote']

Sorry case of mistaken identity, The Artful Dodger was Steve Marriot of The Small Faces and Humble Pie. RIP Steve.

But you are not alone, God appears to have made the same mistake. We can surmise this because Steve died in a tragic accident and Phil still walks the earth. Ugh!

Sorry case of mistaken identity' date=' The Artful Dodger was Steve Marriot of The Small Faces and Humble Pie. RIP Steve.

But you are not alone, God appears to have made the same mistake. We can surmise this because Steve died in a tragic accident and Phil still walks the earth. Ugh![/quote']

http://www.philcollins.co.uk/biog1.htm

He did the west end stage thang.

Guest DustyDeviada
Jesus some folk are sad!

Some folk are indeed sad. I can't think of anything sadder than defending Phil Collins.

BTW' date=' this guy seems to think that Phil Collins did indeed buy part of Mull.

And I believe him.

[url']http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac33/andtheyc.htm

I actually forgot about him ruining the Led Zep set. Amazing, only a cunt like Phil Collins could manage to turn a top ten list into a top eleven list.

Phew' date=' this is from Peter Gabriels site:

[i']

"Genesis Reunion

This has been the main topic of conversation recently and many of you have written in asking for the official word. I'm told that sadly, there is no truth in it; this rumour seems to come and go every few years and we think that this particular one has been fuelled by the fact that Phil, Peter and Steve Hackett have all been interviewed lately in connection with their solo careers and they are always asked about the Band. They all say the same thing; that they remain good friends and although there are no specific plans, they would not rule out the possibility at some time - although getting the five of them together would prove too hard given their various solo commitments."

Yeah, but I read on www.genesis-news.com that that wasn't true. And which do you think is more reliable...??

Bodast will kill me for laughing about Phil Collins

Never! Hurting us only makes us stronger!

Anyway. If Genesis reunite, then I'll be able to feel what the Floyd fans felt at Live 8. But if not, then the Musical Box are touring again, and they're just as good but with a better looking lead singer :O

Genesis Management 01/12/05: "There are no decisions by Genesis to perform anywhere whatsoever at this time. This situation will not alter in the next twelve months."

01/12/2005: Both the Genesis and the Steve Hackett Management told the Italien Fanclub DUSK that there are no plans for any kind of action (Reunion, live performances) for the next twelve months. This indicated that the protagonists will meet again in twelve months to discuss the possibilities for a reunion in 2007. It seems that the different commitments, especially of Gabriel and Collins, simply make a Reunion in 2006 impossible. Meanwhile, the mysterious Reunion-Talk took place on November 19, not the 20th as rumoured before.

"In case anyone was bothered"...

Guest bluesxman
Genesis Management 01/12/05: "There are no decisions by Genesis to perform anywhere whatsoever at this time. This situation will not alter in the next twelve months."

01/12/2005: Both the Genesis and the Steve Hackett Management told the Italien Fanclub DUSK that there are no plans for any kind of action (Reunion' date=' live performances) for the next twelve months. This indicated that the protagonists will meet again in twelve months to discuss the possibilities for a reunion in 2007. It seems that the different commitments, especially of Gabriel and Collins, simply make a Reunion in 2006 impossible. [b']Meanwhile, the mysterious Reunion-Talk took place on November 19, not the 20th as rumoured before.

That little clarification from the Genesis Management team has made me feel much more content.