aberdeen-music

Will Saddam get a fair trial?

Hog

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thinks its very very important that this murdering maniac is executed very puplicly' date=' You never know, it might deter some other crazy despot from making more innocent people suffer for their pleasure.

As for a fair trial....no he wont, remember the Iraqi's are making up their laws as they go along at the moment.......but hey, who cares? behead the bastard and be done with it.[/quote']

I seriously doubt that Saddam being executed will stop any other budding autocrat from murdering people.

Generally, I don't see why everyone is so riled up about this issue. Lots of people are like Saddam, but the only reason people go on about him is because he gets a lot of media coverage here (EDIT - I've just answered my own question, never mind).

You could extend this a bit. Does Saddam deserve a more harsh punishment because he's killed more people? Remember when the government here had that scientist murdered over the Iraq dossier? What's the difference?

I seriously doubt that Saddam being executed will stop any other budding autocrat from murdering people.

Generally' date=' I don't see why everyone is so riled up about this issue. Lots of people are like Saddam, but the only reason people go on about him is because he gets a lot of media coverage here (EDIT - I've just answered my own question, never mind).

You could extend this a bit. Does Saddam deserve a more harsh punishment because he's killed more people? Remember when the government here had that scientist murdered over the Iraq dossier? What's the difference?[/quote']

You will note that I said "it might" stop someone else doing it.

"Whats the difference?" you should possibly be asking some of the hundreds of thousands of people who suffered and lived in fear of Saddam, in Saddam's Iraq you would now be dead for making the statement above, thats the difference.

There's no way he'll get a fair trial, but to be honest, it doesn't matter, cos he's as guilty as sin. Even inside his deluded head, he knows he's done wrong, and is trying to get the best deal he can out of this trial.

There's one thing that's going to disappoint me after this trial. Saddam will get sentenced to death. I'd much rather he spent his days locked in solitary confinement, suffering, but in reality it's not going to happen. Even if he did get put into a prison cell in Iraq, he could probably still intimidate those supervising him, or a prison break with the help of allies would be imminent. A prison sentence would be best served somehwere other than Iraq, maybe they should consider re-opening Alcatraz for the bastard.

But anyway.

Are the Americans involved in this? Duh!

The Americans have INSTALLED the puppet regime in Iraq (illegally) and are trying Saddam Hussein, who by rights is STILL PRESIDENT OF IRAQ, for war crimes and crimes against humanity. The US knew at the time when he gassed the Kurds, bet yet continued to supply him with aid and lifted sanctions against him. They continued to support him fight against Iran. OK, he is guilty - no doubt about it... but aren't the US also guilty for supporting him and helping him with the crimes he is accused of?

This trial has been delayed to divert media attention from what is really going down: The war against Iran!

You will note that I said "it might" stop someone else doing it.

Your point being?

"Whats the difference?" you should possibly be asking some of the hundreds of thousands of people who suffered and lived in fear of Saddam' date=' in Saddam's Iraq you would now be dead for making the statement above, thats the difference.[/quote']

Actually, I doubt I would be dead. In any case, he's not going on trial for intimidating people, he's going on trial for killing people, which is something every government does. That's why there's no difference.

Your point being?

Actually' date=' I doubt I would be dead. In any case, he's not going on trial for intimidating people, he's going on trial for killing people, which is something every government does. That's why there's no difference.[/quote']

So you think he's an ok bloke that should have been left to get on with it ?

I thinks its very very important that this murdering maniac is executed very puplicly' date=' You never know, it might deter some other crazy despot from making more innocent people suffer for their pleasure.

As for a fair trial....no he wont, remember the Iraqi's are making up their laws as they go along at the moment.......but hey, who cares? behead the bastard and be done with it.[/quote']

A very democratic attitude.