aberdeen-music

Nero - Normalise Function?

MitchPact

I'm compiling a collection of the last 4 filthpact releases plus some bonus tracks for a discography release, problem being its all been mastered seperately and so has a slight variance in volume levels. In an ideal world i'd get it all remastered together, but its 30+ tracks and there simply isn't the time or money available to do this.

As a result i'm considering putting it all together on Nero and using the 'normalise all tracks function' to balance out the volumes of each release but am however concerned that a) clipping may occur, b) it may change dynamics of the sound other than volume.

Can anyone shed any light at all on this? as i'm pretty clueless when it comes to such things!

Cheers,

Dave

I'm compiling a collection of the last 4 filthpact releases plus some bonus tracks for a discography release' date=' problem being its all been mastered seperately and so has a slight variance in volume levels. In an ideal world i'd get it all remastered together, but its 30+ tracks and there simply isn't the time or money available to do this.

As a result i'm considering putting it all together on Nero and using the 'normalise all tracks function' to balance out the volumes of each release but am however concerned that a) clipping may occur, b) it may change dynamics of the sound other than volume.

Can anyone shed any light at all on this? as i'm pretty clueless when it comes to such things!

Cheers,

Dave[/quote']

It depends on how you set it up, but it should not. Suck it and see!

Failing that, take up that generous offer above, or we can remaster the lot for you for just 200.

www.the-byre.com

The Normalise function should simply analyse all the tracks and apply a fixed gain increase/reduction to each track so that theres (theoretically) little discrepency of volume between the tracks. I've never had any problems with it clipping, and it should not affect the dynamics of the tracks because it should not behave variably in the same way that compressors and limiters do.

If you have a copy of Wavelab, you can compile the whole CD in the Audio Montage, along with any crossfades you may want and use the Meta Normalise funtion. In essence it will be very similar to what your doing with Nero, except you have the safe knowledge that Wavelab will do a much better job ;)

Wavelabs meta normalise can use rms instead of peak values, so it's processing on a more accurate reflection of loudness. I imagine nero's normalise function probably works using peak values which won't take into account perceived volume.

But considering the possible tonal changes between tracks, and the probable need for some gentle eq as well as gain adjustments to make the tracks sit better, it's one of these things best done by hand.