aberdeen-music

Line 6 Acoustic

Tav

Video here, right click and save as...http://www.line6.com/media/Variax/video/VariaxAcoustic700.wmv

Alternate tunigs without needing to tune! What a great idea! De-tune or use different tunings and retain string tension and tonal definition. Only prob. is that you need an amp/PA/headphones to make use of it's features but it would be a fantastic tool for live and recording situations. I am becoming more interested in what Line6 are going I think the digital market is going to get very big!

Guest operator zero

should keep an eye out on behringer as well - they've got something similar to the POD out already which has gathered favourable reviews so this could get interesting.

Behringer always seem to manage to keep their prices down on all of their products though I presonally don't know what quality is like as I neve r used any. The V-Amp Pro <behringer's rack mounted amp modelling/effects processor> is signifcantly cheaper than Line 6's POD Pro if I remember correctly?

Originally posted by craig deadenstereo:

I've heard (but have never used) that Behringer has reliability issues for Pro Audio stuff, but don't know about their guitar stuff.

Behringer do have a bad rep on reliability. There's one glaringly bad design fault on their DI boxes as well which always gives me grief (If a sound engineer ever points to a silver box on the floor and talks about the 'buttons beside the input', listen up) .

When I get a new Behringer 'pro' product, I expect it to last 2-3 years. I would expect 5 minimum out of most other manufacturers.

If their guitar amps are built to the same general specs, I would think twice about shelling out any cash.

Originally posted by Tav:

What do you think of the line6 from a sound engineers point of view? No mic, no feedback and no need to EQ the guitar to get the best sound from it?

No mic. If it's got a working pickup you don't need one.

No feedback- how? Feedback supression using notch filters?Banging in one of those feedback buster rubber thingies does the job perfectly well normally, and cheaper I'd imagine.

no need to EQ...- why are you assuming that the 'best sound' will be created by this.

No pickup...no hollow body = no feedback. It uses peizo's in the bridge but because of the guitar modelling you don't get the usual peizio sound...you get what you would from a mic. I do assume the best sound will be produced by this from what I have heard. You can virtually move the mics to adjust the sound if you wish.

No pickup...no hollow body = no feedback. It uses peizo's in the bridge but because of the guitar modelling you don't get the usual peizio sound...you get what you would from a mic. I do assume the best sound will be produced by this from what I have heard. You can virtually move the mics to adjust the sound if you wish.

Tav, stop reading glossy brochures. The only real test is to try it and let your ears decide. Quite a lot of the acoustic guitar pick-ups I deal with aren't peizio (sic). My only question is: Why is a good acoustic guitar not good enough?

You can talk options til they come out your arse but the basic fact is, if it sounds good to start with, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Yeah obviously it's a solid body that's how it eliminates any feedback...the sound hole and wood adds to the look. I have heard it and seen it in action on video and mp3, if it doesn't live up to this then I shall be very surprised.

As for if it ain't broke don't fix it...why not try and make some improvements? Acoustics are notorious for feedback. Also why not get a great sound live...finding a great acoustic is hard finding 12 god ! That must be impossible. I have played heaps...maybe 40 or 50 acoustics in the last year and only a few <about 2 or 3> managed a great sound.

Tommy Emmanuel one the best acoustic performers and his acoustic began to feedback about two or three times when performing at The Lemon Tree. He managed to keep it under control as he knows exactly what he's doing but why not make a guitar that won't give you that hassel?

Why so anti digital modelling? Guitarist are supposed to be very anti-technology but I think it is going to get to the point where digital modelling is common place in a set up...it already is in many peoples set ups.

Why so anti digital modelling? Guitarist are supposed to be very anti-technology but I think it is going to get to the point where digital modelling is common place in a set up...it already is in many peoples set ups.

Because it doesn't sound right, simple as that.

If I was going to sell a guitar, I'd make sure it sounded great on any promo vids/MP3s as well.

Originally posted by soundian:

Because it doesn't sound right, simple as that.

If I was going to sell a guitar, I'd make sure it sounded great on any promo vids/MP3s as well.

I'd also make sure it sounded great when people went to try it out...and when the magazines came to hear it.

I'd also make sure it sounded great when people went to try it out...and when the magazines came to hear it.

I'd certainly make sure the magazine got a perfect example of it, not necessarily a production model.

And since they're generally reviewed before release, people already have a preconcieved notion of it's capabilities.

Simple marketing strategies.

Give me a good accoustic with a Fishman pick up any day. Feedback? Only if you don't know how to set it up.

Behringer stuff? Can be dodgy. However, a band I deal with use a behringer desk live and have done for 4 years now with no probs. And they're the busiest band in Scotland, doing 300 gigs a year, so that's working the kit quite hard. They use other behringer stuff in their racks too, but not sure exactly what. Behringer kit makes no allowances for ham fisted amatuers though. Guitarist I know blew half the channels on his behringer desk by fitting xlr's to trs leads and plugging a digitech guitar pedal directly into the xlr of the mono channels!!! Then tried to blame the desk!!!!