aberdeen-music

strozsek on friday

Ollie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Les Stroszek
they might want to change the font colour on their myspace site. black on black doesn't read very well.

We've been told about the problem on our myspace site so hopefully we'll get it sorted out though it won't be me as I don't know how to do it! As for us sounding like other bands Interpol, Joy Division etc I would never claim that we're inventing some revoulutionary, new, original music. I think its only fair to be honest about your music (hello Girl Said No!).I've got a list of influences longer than both my arms and they obviously have some influence on the band Interpol, Joy Division etc are a small influence.

Maybe the way the demo was recorded, no offence to Mark who made a good job, doesn't represent our sound properly as we had not found our feet at that point. Im a lot happier with our sound at present but we've only done four gigs yet and I feel we, especially Richey's vocals have improved a lot, any way I don't like Morrissey! I know we still have a lot of progress to make and someone's been teaching me jazz chords so maybe that could be our new direction. Stroszek go jazz you heard it here first! Anyway now for the pitiful self-promotion bit: Come to see us at Drummonds on Friday or Tunnels next Thursday and make up your own minds! Id love to see you there!!

I know we still have a lot of progress to make and someone's been teaching me jazz chords so maybe that could be our new direction. Stroszek go jazz you heard it here first! Anyway now for the pitiful self-promotion bit: Come to see us at Drummonds on Friday or Tunnels next Thursday and make up your own minds! Id love to see you there!!

I can just imagine Richey... "You are witnessing the rebirth of Stroszek."

I'm nae putting an aubergine down my pants though.

[/spinal Tap referencing]

Guest bluesxman

Stroszek is the film Ian Curtis watched before he hung himself, I think the references are pretty clear by the band name alone, along with elements of the Stroszek bio which references phrases straight from a recent NME piece on Joy Division. Interpol are pretty much a more easy listening version of Joy Division which takes the vocal style and guitar sound while giving it a poppier edge.

I like both bands and see no harm in ripping them off along with early 80's Cure which the Stroszek songs i've heard reminded me of more bass-sound wise, make a change from yet another punk or metal band.

The current interest in bands like Interpol, Editors, etc should provide an audience for any band in Aberdeen who do a passable imitation, good luck to 'em.

Guest bluesxman

I am entitled to my opinions as you are to yours. At least mine have some evidence to support them other than 'I disagree with you', that's very insightful. Do you actually have an informed counter argument to anything I said?

EDIT - Thanks to Soundian for pointing out my spelling mistake. Although the as-typed-in-a-hurry cock up was quite apt in a way.

I am entitled to my opinions as you are to yours. At least mine have some evidence to support them other than 'I disagree with you'' date=' that's very inciteful. Do you actually have an informed counter argument to anything I said?[/quote']

Best to ignore Ollie's massive love of Stroszek... I think he loves the band more than Les and Richey do! ;)

I am entitled to my opinions as you are to yours. At least mine have some evidence to support them other than 'I disagree with you'' date=' that's very [b']inciteful. Do you actually have an informed counter argument to anything I said?

That's the best spelling mistake I've seen in a while, or did you mean it as written?

EDIT: That's what I meant, works whichever way you spell it.

So what' date=' such devotion to a local band can only be a good thing

I don't think their style will go down in the bam haven that is Drummonds. The Tunnels gig might be a shout[/quote']

Well we actually found the last Drummonds gig to be better than the last Tunnels gig, but then that was more to do with the sound than the actual audience reception.

Everyone come to both! :D

And also everyone lay off our superfan Ollie!

And just so people know - the name comes from a Werner Herzog fixation, nae an Ian Curtis fixation :p

Enigma Of Kasper Hauser doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Stroszek though.

Guest bluesxman
And just so people know - the name comes from a Werner Herzog fixation' date=' nae an Ian Curtis fixation :p Enigma Of Kasper Hauser doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Stroszek though.[/quote']

Well to save further confusion there's always Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, Woyzeck..... ;) (I know he has many others but I like Klaus Kinski so those are the ones I know which are not linked to Joy Division...)

Well to save further confusion there's always Aguirre' date=' Fitzcarraldo, Cobra Verde, Woyzeck..... ;) (I know he has many others but I like Klaus Kinski so those are the ones I know which are not linked to Joy Division...)[/quote']

I think poster/flyer makers would have even more trouble with "Aguirre, Der Zorn Gottes" though :D

Guest Les Stroszek

This is all really funny! Its about trying to find something original out of your influences which we're trying to do with the band but I won't deny the reference points but Joy Division/Interpol are the most obvious references which people tend to use lazily. I would agree with Bluesxman when he says a lot of our songs sound more early-era Cure in sound. I love the sparse sound of 'Faith' for example. I've been listening a lot to American stuff (Yo Le Tengo, Galaxie 500, Pixies) and especially Scottish bands (Josef k, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, Mogwai and Girl Said No) recentlly which have had a far bigger effect on the music than Joy Division/Interpol which I like but havn't been interested in much (over the last year in fact).

I personally think that our sound has progressed leaps and bounds since the early demo and has a more effects pedal driven atmosperic sound plus our new songs are an improvment. I just hope that people can come out to watch us and not base there opinions on either comments on this site or a couple of songs they heard on Myspace.