aberdeen-music

Perhaps the biggest band out of Aberdeen:

Steve Temple

Geneva were from Aberdeen (or the hinterland) and were orignally called Sunfish. Got snapped up in what was rumoured to be a fantastic deal. Only heard their first single which didn't do exceptionally well (at least, according to record company standards), but thought it was pretty good.

My old band played with them at The Palace (or Ritzy's, or Bonkers, or whatever it's called now) a looong time ago (must be over 10 years).

Regards

Flossie

yes it certainly is the same shamen' date=' i think (and correct me if i'm wrong) they were called alone again or before the shamen but by the time they hit the big time in the early 90's only colin angus was left from the original band and they had long since relocated to london.

[/quote']

They were indeed Alone Again Or......I saw them a few times then, supporting the likes of The Presidents Men. In fact I'm fairly sure I saw them being supported by APB at the Copper Beech.

I recently saw Momus (Nick Currie) doing an art show, and I think he's sustained a good level of success in various cities (Berlin,Paris, NYC and Aberdeen!!)

On a purely 'number of releases' basis' date=' Chris Cowie would have to be Aberdeen's most prolific musician, with over 150 records out internationally, and his music licensed on possibly many hundreds more of compilations and mix cd's. My favourite story of his was when as a publicity stunt for a forthcoming mix cd his label were releasing, he hired a helicopter to take a set of decks, dj, and some journos to the top of ben nevis to record 'the highest mix cd ever'.[/quote']

Yep....loads of releases! However, as a session guitarist Billy Bremner would be on too many recordings to list, by the likes of Paul McCartney, Johhny Cash, the Pretenders etc

Were Coast not also an Aberdeen band?

I remember hiring a PA from the loveless when I was in my 1st ever school band! Totally blew me away whenever I saw them live. I also have some of their vinyl in my collection. Does that mean I will be rich if I sell the vinyl on ebay.com?

I seem to remember seeing Coast supoorting Teenage Fanclub in 1991, about the same time they released The King.

*whispers* I played bass for Pink Windmill, who supported Coast & 18 Wheeler in Drummonds many moons ago...I used to be matey with Paul Fyffe, Coast's guitarist.

The Squibs!!!! Brings back many happy memories. I've got a single by them, with Davy Cattanach on drums, Dave Baird (often seen in Drummonds) on bass, etc

Paul Fyfe is also in Pablo with Ian Slater. I've got a squibs single too somewhere. Anyone remember a two piece band called the Dice Men? If I remember rightly they sounded vaguely like Killing Joke with a drum machine. Had an excellent backdrop of a video projection of buildings falling down. I saw them at Crazy Daisy's (going back a bit there...).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...