aberdeen-music

microphones

delboy

the shure's are generally regarded as excellent mics and solidly built (cant remember whether its the sm57 or sm58 thats for vocals - ones instrument, one vocals) so if you are using it out and about a good choice

if you are only playing at home it might be a good idea to look at a condensor too (though i cant remember any off the top of my head)

David

if it's for recording only, I'd definitely buy a condenser mic as they produce far superior results to cardiod mics (even SM58s). Even the sub 100 cheapies! These mics require a bit of TLC though, so would definitely be for home/studio use only. Condenser mics don't like being "held" while in use either. If you want to go for a condenser mic, I'd suggest getting a "bundle" that includes a shock mount microphone holder and a pop-shield as well.

Note, most condenser mics have built in pre-amps, which require power. Make sure you can either use batteries with it, or better still, have a mixing desk that produces "Phantom Power". If you're not sure what any of that is, I suggest you do a bit of google homework.

I blew my budget on a 100 condenser, to find out afterwards I couldn't use it 'coz my mixing desk didn't have phantom power! If you want a dedicated "phantom power supply", give me a shout. I have one I don't need anymore that I would sell for 15. (save buying a new desk).

However, if you want a good all-round mic that you might use for doing gigs or live recording with in the future, I'd be inclined to get a Shure SM58 instead. It will still be ok for recording, but will also take punishment at gigs etc.

Marty

I have a Shure SM58 and it is excellent for onstage work, both vocal and instrumental miking, although an SM57 is better suited to the latter.

I bought a Sennheiser e935 and it is the canine's knackers for stage work and does a good job in the studio too, with no need for phantom power. 109 online from Sounds Live. The SM58 now sits in the case and is used only for back-up, but I know it will be up for the show if called off the bench.

The Chilli peppers recorded Californication with an SM58 on the vocals. So it can be done for studio work... Depends what sound you want. If you are looking for the really detailed sound, as if the person is right there in the room when you put on the track you need a large diaphram condenser - bit more money - although AKG C2000, C3000's are good and not too much. Rode NT1's and NT2's or whatever the newer modules are called are good - but avoid AKG C1000's - they're thin, too bright and shit for vocals. i'd rather use an sm58....

The Chilli peppers recorded Californication with an SM58 on the vocals. So it can be done for studio work... Depends what sound you want. If you are looking for the really detailed sound' date=' as if the person is right there in the room when you put on the track you need a large diaphram condenser - bit more money - although AKG C2000, C3000's are good and not too much. Rode NT1's and NT2's or whatever the newer modules are called are good - but avoid AKG C1000's - they're thin, too bright and shit for vocals. i'd rather use an sm58....[/quote']

What sorta pres were they using on the 58's though? I mean, you could be plugging a U47 into a behringer pre and it would still sound shit :)

Couldn't agree more on the C1000s....I'd recommend Rode NT1A's....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rode-NT1A-Studio-Condenser-Microphone-NEW_W0QQitemZ7347168448QQcategoryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Mines have been relegated to overheads, but they sound great...

EDIT...just read it was actually 57's they used on the lead vocals (although the backing vocals were U87's) with a Neve 8038 desk with 1073 EQ and 1176 compressor on the vocals (aswell as guitars)...don't expect this sound from a 57 at home kids....