aberdeen-music

The Cabariet Voltaire

liamtw

Prepare yourself for one of the worst gig experiences imaginable I'm afraid. The place looks really cool, but the soundman is an absolute arsehole, with an ego bigger than anyone I've ever met from a band, so expect to hear nothing on stage, other than the same wall of garbled noise the audience will hear . Also expect to pay 3 for a pint of warm, flat beer. Good luck though!

Edinburgh is pretty gash for decent venues at the moment....

Prepare yourself for one of the worst gig experiences imaginable I'm afraid. The place looks really cool' date=' but the soundman is an absolute arsehole, with an ego bigger than anyone I've ever met from a band, so expect to hear nothing on stage, other than the same wall of garbled noise the audience will hear . Also expect to pay 3 for a pint of warm, flat beer. Good luck though!

Edinburgh is pretty gash for decent venues at the moment....[/quote']

When I saw Jaga Jazzist there it seemed a really nice venue, the sound was good, as was the free whiskey.

Prepare yourself for one of the worst gig experiences imaginable I'm afraid. The place looks really cool' date=' but the soundman is an absolute arsehole, with an ego bigger than anyone I've ever met from a band, so expect to hear nothing on stage, other than the same wall of garbled noise the audience will hear . Also expect to pay 3 for a pint of warm, flat beer. Good luck though!

Edinburgh is pretty gash for decent venues at the moment....[/quote']

shite fucks sake arghhhhh (mumbled grumblings) shite bollocks shite

aw well suppose we'll have to get on with it

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid we have had a similarly rubbish experience there. The soundman was quite simply a total prick. We did our soundcheck and asked him if the levels were OK, and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off! I think he may have been more used to dealing with jazz and world music (as played by toffs with pony tails).

However, don't despair - you might have more luck and get a different soundman, in which case the venue itself isn't too bad. Might well come down and check out the gig anyway since we're playing with you in the 'deen in october :)

As far as Edinburgh venues go, I'd recommend the caledonian backpackers, which has gigs promoted by baby tiger (www.baby-tiger.net). The promoters are really nice guys, and although the set up isn't technically that impressive (just a vocal PA) they have decent sound guys and the gigs usually go well. You can get quite a decent mix crowdwise, as they let the guests at the hostel in for free as well as paying customers.

Failing that there's always bannermans, which is a decent size and has its own backline (handy if you're travelling from out of town) but does often suffer from poor sound. And expensive beer!

I'm afraid we have had a similarly rubbish experience there. The soundman was quite simply a total prick. We did our soundcheck and asked him if the levels were OK' date=' and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off! [/quote']

Ah, the old "shrug and walk", pretty standard for house engineers.

It has a variety of uses:

1) I don't know, but I'm not about to admit that.

2)You expect me to be able to discern anything with that racket going on?

3)I'm tired, leave me alone.

4)I have more bands to worry about at the moment, go away.

5)If it wasn't good enough, I would have told you.

6)Do you think I'm getting paid enough to care?

7)Do your production work before you get here.

8 ) Lets just see how the room reacts with people in.

9)You don't want to know, trust me.

Or a combination of the above.

If you think shrugging shoulders and walking away is being a prick, you ain'seen nothing yet.