aberdeen-music

I dont want an ordinary guitar

Hog

yeah man. To be honest Im not wanting a Chapman stick (actually, yes I would). All Im wanting is guitar which is just one string more than a 7 string.

After searching Ebay.com I realsied that there are tons of manufacturers who make 8 string basses, so why not 8 string guitars? I know that Meshuggah use Nevborn 8 string guitars but they cost $3000

Another option... The Element bassist (Yeti) has a Dad who makes instruments. He custome built Yeti's bass and it is quality. Maybe I should save up and see if he could make one. Although the other difficult point is the pickup for an 8 string.

Why am I so complicated?...

If you happen to find a cheap source of 8 string guitars, please, give me a shout about it.

If your wanting an eight for the low end, you'd be far better trying to get your hands on a decent seven, putting on a really heavy guage, and tuning down. I've been tuned to F (FA#D#G#C#FA#) using this method, for about the last four or five months, and really recommend it as a solution to getting that low end without having to spend out a shitload of cash.

In such a situation I'd also recommend getting a seven string with a larger scale neck. I only know of one guitar company that uses an extended scale as standard for seven strings, and that's Schecter. All their sevens, bar the 007 elite, have 26.5" necks, rather than the standard 25.5". Don't know if that's for a particular reason, but I'd imagine it would be quite helpful. I know from my own experience, I have to tune just slightly higher to keep enough tension in the strings to allow for a good thrashing. Although, that said, I've only altered the tension of my trem, haven't touched the truss rod, so getting the guitar set up would perhaps be advisable.

Shit, that turned into an essay and a half. Yeah, good luck on finding a new guitar.

As I said, if you find a cheap source of eight strings, please, for the love of fuck, point it out!

* low end junky *

If you happen to find a cheap source of 8 string guitars' date=' please, give me a shout about it.

If your wanting an eight for the low end, you'd be far better trying to get your hands on a decent seven, putting on a really heavy guage, and tuning down. I've been tuned to F (FA#D#G#C#FA#) using this method, for about the last four or five months, and really recommend it as a solution to getting that low end without having to spend out a shitload of cash.

In such a situation I'd also recommend getting a seven string with a larger scale neck. I only know of one guitar company that uses an extended scale as standard for seven strings, and that's Schecter. All their sevens, bar the 007 elite, have 26.5" necks, rather than the standard 25.5". Don't know if that's for a particular reason, but I'd imagine it would be quite helpful. I know from my own experience, I have to tune just slightly higher to keep enough tension in the strings to allow for a good thrashing. Although, that said, I've only altered the tension of my trem, haven't touched the truss rod, so getting the guitar set up would perhaps be advisable.

Shit, that turned into an essay and a half. Yeah, good luck on finding a new guitar.

As I said, if you find a cheap source of eight strings, please, for the love of fuck, point it out!

* low end junky *[/quote']

Want to start a guitar company? hehe.

Nah, cheers for the advice. Looks like 7 string will be the option. No harm in trying though

Guest b-bert
Want to start a guitar company? hehe.

has anyone here built their own guitar, is it difficult?

I have a tree that needs chopped down and part of it looks suspiciously like a flying v

After searching Ebay.com I realsied that there are tons of manufacturers who make 8 string basses' date=' so why not 8 string guitars? I know that Meshuggah use Nevborn 8 string guitars but they cost $3000[/quote']

Aye, but most eight string basses made by well known manufacturers are just the equivalent of 12 string guitars. I'm presuming that that's what will mostly be on offer through eBay.

Although the other difficult point is the pickup for an 8 string.

From the very little I've seen, Seymour Duncan do custom eight string pick-ups, as do Lundgren, who I'm assuming you're aware of through the Nevborn website. No idea about any companies who make them as part of their standard line. Wouldn't like to imagine the cost of a custom pick-up like :down:

you could maybe try a baritone guitar as well if youre looking for lower tunings' date=' i dont know much about them myself, there cheaper than 8-strings though :p[/quote']

Baritone's may not cut it as far as eight string tunings. I guess it would be possible, but it would mean losing out on two strings, tuning to F#BEAC#F# instead of F#BEADGBE, which, depending on the style being played, is quite a lose. Also, Baritones seem to be pretty rare, even compared to the likes of seven strings.

I guess it's down to the player though.

At the moment I want at least a 7 string guitar' date=' preferably 8.

Dont want to spend 2 grand though! Im I kidding myself? After checking this out, I found the following

[img']http://www.charliehunter.com/gear/images/currentsm.gif

Sleipner%20XL.jpg

The band Sarah from France who played The East Neuk and Drakes (castlegate) had a guy who played a similar looking guitar...but he was playing bass parts at the same time as he was playing guitar parts...crazy band! He just stood staring the back wall the whole time he played, had to play some keyboard at the same time as the bass aswell I think...

sarah.jpg

6d_1_b.JPG

But I will change the pick ups to EMG 81s (SYL, Deftones pickups)

I wasnt tempted by the Kerry King Signature EMGs, I think his guitar sound is shit (hang draw and quarter me) Also, they are a rediculous price! And.....these days, there is a signature Kerry King thing for almost anything related to metal.