aberdeen-music

Looking into buying a head

Born with Wings

No point in getting the mode four because for the same price you can get a marshall valve amp...I have the JCM2000 and I can get a killer Killswitch Engage style tone on it. I might also add that Slayer use Marshalls as do a million other metal bands.

Obviously what you really want is a Mesa/Boogie but unless you have 3 grand to spare....

500-600 will get you a great Marshall head.

Originally posted by Born with Wings:

Hmm so Dan you think a JCM200?...or what.

that's what dan, jamesy and craig quik use.

dan and jamesy both have a fairly killer tone, then you've got all teh pedals you can use as well. ken.

Originally posted by alex.:

that's what dan, jamesy and craig quik use.

dan and jamesy both have a fairly killer tone, then you've got all teh pedals you can use as well. ken.

and they can take away from the tone...ken? I try and minimize the amount of effects i use. In fact, all in front of my amp is a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor(to reduce even more sound), a Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner, a Crybaby Wah and a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive. The only other effects i've really been looking at are a Digitech Whammy, a Boss Delay and a Line 6 Modulation Modeler.... neither of which i need or can afford :(

I'm running a Marshall 30th Anniversary 100watt head(which i run at half power so it euns at 50watts) through either a Marshall 1922 2x12" cab or a Marshall 1935 4x12" cab. The head has independant EQ's on each channel, so i have one clean sound and two overdriven sounds.

I boost my overdrive sounds(when i feel the need) with a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive(which has been modified to sound like an Ibanez TS-808)

Originally posted by Eriatarka:

and they can take away from the tone...ken?

although its only really when you have 5 or more effects that tone starts to get worse...

I have an ibanez delay, boss chromatic tuner, boss chorus pedal and boss equaliser through the effects loop - and a dunlop wah in between the guitar and amp. I hardly use any of them except for the odd delay/chorus in clean bits, and equaliser for solos.