aberdeen-music

Failure in Schools

Spoonie

This made me laugh out loud. taken from the Scotsman.com mailout:

Call to ban word 'failure' from schools

THE word "fail" should be deleted from the school vocabulary and replaced with the term "deferred success", the conference of a leading teaching union will hear next week."

fucking tremendous! it's not deferred success, it's not any kind of success. it's failure!!!

i saw someone on the news describing what they meant by deferred success and as a system it sounds okay but it sounds so ridiculous when you first hear about it. it sounded like it was kinda like the system we use at college whereby you get remediation chances when you fail a test by a couple of points.

there are far too many cases in education systems that i've been through where people get as many chances as they need to pass stuff and all the support the world can offer, so it gets to the stage that they're pretty much having the work done for them. what's the fucking point of that?! make assessments realistic yet challenging and don't let every cunt on this earth pass unless they deserve to. it's taking the piss!

it's like when people pull all kinds of shitty stunts to get extensions on deadlines, meanwhile the honest among us have to do the work when it's meant to be done. get an extension if you have a legitimate reason by all means, but don't exploit the system.

/x

agreed.

anyone outwith exceptional circumstance that fails.... deserved to fail.

I failed plenty of exams... I'm not thick I just didn't put in the work that's required. It's my own fault.

I don't get why people should basically be handed qualifiations.

I agree too. I remember some guy I was at college with who, to be honest, wasin't the sharpest tool in the box and realistically had no chance of passing his course being taken outside and virtually given the answers. The lecturers just don't want a fail against their name. Thats why schools/ colleges/ uni etc should be about learning not precentages of students who passed in that year.

It's talking about school here, not college (which is for fucking numpties anyway...) school kids can be as young as 4 or 5...surely its not nice to be told you have failed something at that age. Even others may not be able to accept that they have "failed" when they are 15/16 whatever....and will consequently think their life is shit and go on the rampage, beating up old grannies and nicking your car...wouldn't it be nice to cut some people some fucking slack from time to time?!

If you "succeed" as oppose to fail...you'll spend your whole life pissing and moaning that your super big wage is being taxed to fuck to pay for these failures who do fuck all...a little encouragement earlier on in life goes a long way...

Although we can do what that prick suggested in another thread and just round up all these people into boot camps or armies and push them out of society....then piss and moan when they come back as deranged suicidal bomb squads...

Meh... :swearing:

If you "succeed" as oppose to fail...you'll spend your whole life pissing and moaning that your super big wage is being taxed to fuck to pay for these failures who do fuck all

so you're saying that we should spend our whole lives pissing and moaning that our super big wage is being taxed to fuck to pay for these deferred successes who do fuck all?

Guest bluesxman
I remember once being told to let a guy in my college class copy my notes overnight - because I took the most in depth notes in the class' date=' apparently - and I wasn't pleased about it because there were upcoming assessments and this guy had been in the class the notes were from and just hadn't bothered his ass taking any.*[/quote']

When I was at college I got pulled in for cheating one day, turned out a guy sat next to me during a test copied me and didn't even have the brains to disguise the fact, his answer sheet was an exact copy of mine, diagrams in same position etc. Fuckwit. Luckily I was friendly with him and pointed out the error of his ways so he admitted he was a cheating get.

a little encouragement earlier on in life goes a long way...

to me this isn't about encouragement tho' date=' it's about giving people an unrealistic impression of their progress and their abilities. if you beat around the bush and lull everyone into a false sense of security where noone has failed, these people will make no effort to better themselves. i'm not saying that people shouldn't be given a chance, just that pretending they're doing fine when in fact they're completely fucking useless isn't helping anyone. by providing interim feedback and guiding someone in the right direction, you can make it possible for even the most useless cunt to pass things, rather than just letting them bumble along and when they fuck up, consoling them with the belief that they've attained some kind of "deferred success."

as Lester says,

anyone outwith exceptional circumstance that fails.... deserved to fail.

and further..

i want spoonie's babies

:D

as delightful as that child is, i can't help but feel that it bears little resemblance to me and, as such, i am in doubt as to whether i would be able to love it as my own.

however, should you have any further children which bear a more accurate physical resemblance to me, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

kindest regards

matthew davies