aberdeen-music

Kitchen Cynics NYC Diary

Alan Cynic

The party was ace...one of these 'mix tape swaps', and there was live music on in 3 rooms. I played just after Black Forest/Black Sea, who were augmented by Miriam's sister Margot on Sarod (?) (a 4 stringed indian droney thing), and a guy on violin. Most enjoyable.

My own set was full of errors....once I got over my nerves the songs weren't too bad, but the first three were embarrassing. I'm hoping the radio session tomorrow night goes better, or I'll have to hide away for the rest of my life (not that there's that long left, like!)

Now in NYC, and it's roasting. Have just been to the Strand bookstore, and will be meeting the Deviada family in a couple of hours.

Am off to follow up Balvack's Downtown Music tip.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeenat Aman
Does that mean it's not on a regular radio station I can tape? :( Alas... well I'm home from work about 9.20' date=' create a diversion so it starts after that Alan!!![/quote']

No need to worry about missing it, as I believe all the shows are kept online. If listening online is also a problem, I'm sure a cdr of the show can be arranged.

:D

I survived the show......it was cool meeting Nick Castro and In Gowan Ring...they offered me the chance to jam on one of their own session tracks, but I chickened out. If you're a fan of 'The Wicker Man', they did a brilliant version of 'Johnny Gently' at the end of their set, right at the end of thei prog.

I got a plug in for Sundaramusic, but, disappointingly Irene couldn't find her copy of the CD, and out of confusion played one which Philip's not on....I set her straight later, and she tried to cover it, but still got it wrong......sorry, Philip!!!!!! :( She's a very nice person, and will, I'm sure, play some Sundaram again soon!

My own session started horribly, with the old nerves playing up badly, so my first song is awful, but I gradually relaxed, and thought it went not too badly overall.

I was hoping someone from the other bands would offer me accomodation, but they're playing in Philadelphia tonight, so I booked the cheapest room in the Chelsea Hotel....no bathroom, no air conditioning (and it's a very hot & humid night!!!)

Then I nipped down to say hello to Lach, and am meeting him later for a few pints.

Last night was fun too,...I took the Deviadas to McSorley's Old Alehouse, then CBGBs for a Woody Guthrie tribute, then Max Fish, then the Lakeside lounge, then some other place which I can't recall the name of. I also tok them to Katz's deli, and they got the "Where Harry met Sally seats", but weren't too keen on faking orgasms for my video! :D

More later!!!

ps....Zeenat...I got that Donovan instrumental album with harold McNair on it, so I'll do a copy for you, if you don't have it already. I also got a brilliant Donovan album of 'rare' studio stuff copied for me by Jeffrey of BF/BS.

I'm knackered, though.

Was just googling Kitchen Cynics and found Jeffrey of Secret Eye had put this up on a Rhode Island music forum...

also, alan davidson from aberdeen, scotland

will, in fact, be playing a few songs as

previously suggested in this thread.

here is some SHAMELESS plugging for alan:

he records under the moniker KITCHEN CYNICS

and has been doing so for 20+ years.

alan has played live with TOM RAPP of PEARLS

BEFORE SWINE (the first ever "psych-folk"

group) and a whole host of others including

TERRY REID and DAVY GRAHAM. holy shit.

he has more than 25 releases on labels all

over the world (including 1 cd on our own

little providence label, secret eye).

SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE lists alan as one

of his biggest influences...alan says SYD

BARRETT is his. tonight will be the first

ever live USA performance from KITCHEN CYNICS.

The bit about Davy Graham is a bit premature...I MAY be performing with Davy in the audience! This was in response to some other chap posting that "some old charmer from Scotland might also be playing".

Hottest news....just checked my e-mail and some chap liked today's radio session enough to offer me a live slot on a TV prog which airs in Manhattan and Philadelphia. Of course I can't do it, as I'll be back in the'Deen! :down:

Guest Zeenat Aman

I got a plug in for Sundaramusic' date=' but, disappointingly Irene couldn't find her copy of the CD, and out of confusion played one which Philip's not on....I set her straight later, and she tried to cover it, but still got it wrong......sorry, Philip!!!!!! :( She's a very nice person, and will, I'm sure, play some Sundaram again soon!

My own session started horribly, with the old nerves playing up badly, so my first song is awful, but I gradually relaxed, and thought it went not too badly overall.[/quote']

Thanks for the mention and your set sounded great, you are far too self critical Mr Cynic!

ps....Zeenat...I got that Donovan instrumental album with harold McNair on it' date=' so I'll do a copy for you, if you don't have it already. I also got a brilliant Donovan album of 'rare' studio stuff copied for me by Jeffrey of BF/BS.[/quote']

Would that be the Vic Lewis Orchestra, produced By John Cameron?

Hottest news....just checked my e-mail and some chap liked today's radio session enough to offer me a live slot on a TV prog which airs in Manhattan and Philadelphia. Of course I can't do it' date=' as I'll be back in the'Deen! :down:[/quote']

Would it be possible to pre record your set?

Would that be the Vic Lewis Orchestra' date=' produced By John Cameron?

Would it be possible to pre record your set?[/quote']

It is indeed the Vic Lewis one.

I e-mailed the tv guy and said I'd happily tape something if it was in the next 3 days, but I doubt he'll get back to me.

I just found this on the New York Radio Guide...

THIS WEEK`S RADIO HIGHLIGHTS

Today: Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday, July 10, 2005

7 AM - 8 AM

WFUV 90.7 FM

Mixed Bag Radio with Pete Fornatale - with guest Tony Bennett

Sunday, July 10, 2005

8 AM - 8:30 AM

WFDU 89.1 FM

Radio Omnibus/Tabletalk - Bill Hahn talks with Elaini Newport, founder and creative force behind The Capitol Steps

Sunday, July 10, 2005

3 PM - 5 PM

WKRB 90.9 FM

The Sweet Sounds with Ron Forman - vocalist Barbara Rosene discusses her new CD, "All My Life"; tribute to vocalist Steve Lawrence

Sunday, July 10, 2005

5 PM - 7 PM

WFUV 90.7 FM

American Routes - visits with Bo Diddley and Tony Joe White

Sunday, July 10, 2005

6 PM - 7 PM

WBGO 88.3 FM

Jazzset with Dee Dee Bridgewater - the Jazz Academy at Jazz Aspen Snowmass, CO

Sunday, July 10, 2005

7 PM - 8 PM

WFUV 90.7 FM

Woody`s Children - new songs from old friends

Sunday, July 10, 2005

8 PM - 11 PM

WFUV 90.7 FM

The Big Broadcast - vocalists Ivie Anderson and Johnny Marvin, songs of Billy Hill, Jimmy McHugh and Mabel Wayne, lyrics of Dorothy Fields, Oscar Hammerstein, Ted Koehler and Mitchell Parish

Sunday, July 10, 2005

8 PM - 10 PM

WQXR 96.3 FM

Special: Live from Tanglewood - Kurt Masur leads the Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra in Prokofiev`s "Classical" Symphony, Dutilleux`s "The Shadows of Time", and Beethoven`s Symphony No. 7

Monday, July 11, 2005

Monday, July 11, 2005

12 Noon - 2 PM

WNYC 820 AM

Leonard Lopate - Helen Oyeyemi, a 20-year-old Cambridge student born in Nigeria, shares her debut novel, "The Icarus Girl"; simulcast on WNYC 93.9 FM

Monday, July 11, 2005

3 PM - 6 PM

WFMU 91.1 FM

Irene Trudel`s Show - Kitchen Cynics, from Scotland, and In Gowan Ring, with Nick Castro, perform

Monday, July 11, 2005

6:30 PM - 7:30 PM

WBGO 88.3 FM

Jazz from Lincoln Center with Ed Bradley - Wynton Marsalis` arrangement of Duke Ellington`s "A Tone Parallel to Harlem"

Monday, July 11, 2005

7 PM - 8 PM

WFMU 91.1 FM

Jonesville Station with Glen Jones - Peter Noone discusses his career with Herman`s Hermits and beyond; Terry Sylvester recalls his years with the Swinging Blue Jeans and the Hollies

Arf!!!! Good company!!!!

No need to worry about missing it' date=' as I believe all the shows are kept online. If listening online is also a problem, I'm sure a cdr of the show can be arranged.

:D[/quote']

Yay, you're right, it's available here, although I did catch the last 25 minutes or so of the set - you sounded great Alan! I'm going to try to listen to the start just now :cheers:

Guest Zeenat Aman
It is indeed the Vic Lewis one.

I e-mailed the tv guy and said I'd happily tape something if it was in the next 3 days' date=' but I doubt he'll get back to me.[/quote']

I have the Vic Lewis lp, uk version mind you. The version of Lord of the Reedy River is nice and eerie.

You should mime if you get taped, I'll fly out and we can pretend to do something from the album!?

:gringo:

Yay' date=' you're right, it's available here, although I did catch the last 25 minutes or so of the set - you sounded great Alan! I'm going to try to listen to the start just now :cheers:

Hear how he constantly puts himself down, his fascination with death and also his 'subtle' flirting with the hostess... he happens to play some songs as well.

Hear how he constantly pus himself down' date=' his fascination with death and also his 'subtle' flirting with the hostess... he happens to play some songs as well.

:D[/quote']

Hehe, I would flirt with her too, she has In the Land of Grey and Pink on her recommended listening list :up:

Yay' date=' you're right, it's available here, although I did catch the last 25 minutes or so of the set - you sounded great Alan! I'm going to try to listen to the start just now :cheers:

Am I alone imn finding it funny that at 5pm on Sunday the presenter is called Gaylord?

There are some things in life you never grow out of - juvenile, pureile, schoolboy "humour" seems to be one.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Am I alone imn finding it funny that at 5pm on Sunday the presenter is called Gaylord?

There are some things in life you never grow out of - juvenile' date=' pureile, schoolboy "humour" seems to be one.[/quote']

You seem to have a thing about gay things.

:kiss: love from pip and the boys. ;)

Hehe' date=' I would flirt with her too, she has In the Land of Grey and Pink on her recommended listening list :up:[/quote']

Guess what I played before going to work at 5.45am today?

:ding::music:

Guess what I played before going to work at 5.45am today?

:ding::music:

:) What a cheerful start to the (way too early!) day! I have work at 1, so I don't have time, but if I start now then maybe I could fit in twenty something minutes of Nine Feet Underground...

Ace, you played the Jo(h)n Anderson song Alan, I was hoping you would !

Guest Zeenat Aman
:) What a cheerful start to the (way too early!) day! I have work at 1' date=' so I don't have time, but if I start now then maybe I could fit in twenty something minutes of Nine Feet Underground...

[/quote']

Only side A.

Hoi Hoi!

I hope your having a good time' date=' Alan! :) Best of luck with all your adventures.

You must tell me about any inspiring haircuts you see when you get back :love:

Woot! :princess:[/quote']

Still enjoying myself! Had a couple of drinks with Lach at the Sidewalk Cafe, then worked my way back to the Chelsea Hotel via a few pubs.

Lots of weird haircuts here, Lester!!

(old pot calls young kettles black).

Holy Mackerel...

I never realised the world of namby pamby shite was so interesting ,I think I'll gae it a bash sometime.

It may well be the onslaught of grey hair on ma heid and rapidly festooning nasal and aural hair though, so I suppose I could ayewis dae the exciting stuff tae, groan- it I'll be the pipe and slippers next and the DVD Gold collection of rare 1970s punk and 1980s SKA.

hELP i NEED A DIVERSION -preferrably with electric drums, gaes a shout if ye need ony weird sounds and namby pamby backing world music percussion, take care ,cheers Biz.

Cheers, Biz!! In New York the Namby -pamby shite seems to co-exist happily with the electronic/artsy stuff, so we could have you in the slippers, with pipe etc no probs :D

I've been to Manitoba's (run by the ex-Dictators guy), which is where the old punks hang out, and I've recruited a New-York franchise of the Kitchen Cynics, called the KitcheNYCynics, and they've already got 2 songs written, one called "Gabba gabba hey nonny-no" and one called "Too drunk to folk". :rockon::band:

I