aberdeen-music

Music industry/business questions

Jim Stax

no i do believe that was the sound of my kick drum for half an hour..............

and your wrong' date=' not most things EVERYTHING with Peavey written on them is horrible.[/quote']

I have to disagree, some of their top end stuff is alright. Not that I'd buy it cos I could probably get something better for round about the same price.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mr Blastcap

i too like the tunnells, its groovy. mind you, it had to be explained to me twice why i couldnt get a mobile recption in there. i think Aberdeen needs more bands like My Minds Weapon, there's to much art rock on the go and it gets dull.

Drakes was sooooo essential I doubt a lot of bands in town would even exist without it.... it was the only place to play (or that you could play) for a long time *salutes* :cheers:

I second that. In my opinion the council should devote a small portion of their Lemon Tree budget to funding Dr Drakes' date=' and offer to pay the people that ran Dr Drakes a decent wage to manage it for them.

.....which is my point really, the whole quality of musical culture in the deen revolves around and pretty much depends on its live venues *cough* (I almost said 'scene')....otherwise bands ands promoters are kinda fucked

Right now the *cough* culture is in a very fortunate position in that virtually all the local venues - Lemon Tree, Blue Lamp, Drummonds, Tunnels, Moshulu, Malt Mill, Kef, Snafu, and Moorings - are independent. Thus no pay for play and very preferential terms for promoters. That could so easily start to change and, unlike what happened with Drakes, let's all realise that would be a bad thing BEFORE it happens.

Guest bluesxman

I've only been coming on here a few months, my first observation was how snide people seem to be towards each others bands and efforts. Maybe some of it is in a joking way but some seems pretty serious. Surely a supportive culture between bands would be better to establish a thriving music scene in Aberdeen. Different styles of music do not have to be excluded from each other if an open mind is adopted.

Some of the best gigs I have been to have featured support bands who were completely different in style to the headline act but turned out to be great. I went to see Therapy? at the Barrowlands many moons ago, one of the supports was Credit To The Nation, who I expected to hate as a novelty rap act who stole the riff from ...Teen Spirit but brought the house down.

I've only been coming on here a few months' date=' my first observation was how snide people seem to be towards each others bands and efforts. Maybe some of it is in a joking way but some seems pretty serious. Surely a supportive culture between bands would be better to establish a thriving music scene in Aberdeen. Different styles of music do not have to be excluded from each other if an open mind is adopted...[/quote']

Now yr wanting the moon on a stick aswell!

Thus no pay for play and very preferential terms for promoters. That could so easily start to change and' date=' unlike what happened with Drakes, let's all realise that would be a bad thing BEFORE it happens.[/quote']

I agree, pay to play should be stomped on as soon as it raises it's ugly head.

As much as I hate Battle of the Bands competitions they do serve a useful purpose, which is the same as pay to play but without the pay.

I second that. In my opinion the council should devote a small portion of their Lemon Tree budget to funding Dr Drakes' date=' and offer to pay the people that ran Dr Drakes a decent wage to manage it for them.

Right now the *cough* culture is in a very fortunate position in that virtually all the local venues - Lemon Tree, Blue Lamp, Drummonds, Tunnels, Moshulu, Malt Mill, and Moorings - are independent. Thus no pay for play and very preferential terms for promoters. That could so easily start to change and, unlike what happened with Drakes, let's all realise that would be a bad thing BEFORE it happens.[/quote']

It's quite an impressive list of indepenent venues isn't it?! Hard work but something to be proud of!!!!

Now I'm off back to the website that has flats in Edinburgh 'for rent'... Fuck ye's aaaaaaaah.... (Note to all promoting the music and arts, iiis toon disnae deserve ye!)

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::jester::jester:

It's quite an impressive list of indepenent venues isn't it?! Hard work but something to be proud of!!!!

Now I'm off back to the website that has flats in Edinburgh 'for rent'... Fuck ye's aaaaaaaah.... (Note to all promoting the music and arts' date=' iiis toon disnae deserve ye!)

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::jester::jester:[/quote']

Ooops shit just realised I missed off Kef - sorry that wasn't intentional. Will rectify now. Doh and I forgot Snafu too. See this list is so long now it's virtually impossible to commit to memory. So yes this city does have much to be proud of.

Unfortunately we also have Chicago Rock, Liquid, and Tiger Tiger...

Well

Ooops shit just realised I missed off Kef - sorry that wasn't intentional. Will rectify now. Doh and I forgot Snafu too. See this list is so long now it's virtually impossible to commit to memory. So yes this city does have much to be proud of.

Unfortunately we also have Chicago Rock' date=' Liquid, and Tiger Tiger...[/quote']

Since the demise of Drakes and the reintroduction of myself to my 'LIFE' I have become a regular visitor to above latter named venues and I find them extremely pleasing. Especaily in the ares of originality and a unique thought process!!!! I can't see at all how they could have impacted on a city's culture and the Council in there infinite wisdom should allow as many of these places to open as possibel. I especially praise the move toward yet another chain venue/club on Belmont Street right next to Drummonds. Surely there aren't enough of these places in said area?

I will now go a throw myself down the stairs at work directly on my head!!!! :D