aberdeen-music

wanted: tape delay/echo unit

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i'm guessing not many people have a real one, and if they did, they'd be asking more for it than i can afford. so does anybody have a tape delay style effects pedal, for recreating those SUICIDE moments within the cure for cancer's confines? i don't have much money so don't bother replying if you're some kind of rip off merchant. NB i need this effect to have some sort of infinate loop feature. cheers

what do you mean by infinite loop?

do you mean like a loop sampler, as found on Line6 DL4 pedals, where you can record and overdub in realtime, e.g. echoplex-like pedals?

or are you talking about extremely large delay loop times, e.g. 32 second loop times, for example? if this is the case you won't get an infinite loop... because obviously infinity does not loop.

the Line6 DL4 pedal has some crazy sounding delays, with lots of lovely features like reverse swells and things, all very variable.... and it has a loop sampler too. though i found the loop sampler to be quite lofi... though i was using it with an electroacoustic so i probably got what i deserved. they are really quite expensive though, about 180 new i think. i don't have one, but have borrowed one... they are great for recording and live work alike.. although it is a digital pedal, it emulates features of old analog pedals where the sound gets really screwed up by changing the delay time knob whilst playing.

if you can, i'd try to borrow or at least try out (maybe at r&b?) the Line6 DL4 - even if it is not for you, it will give you a good idea of what else is offered on the market, and a bit of history on commercial delay units from the past, if you read the Line6 material on which effects the models were based on. if nothing else it may help you find what you're looking for on ebay or similar.

Poor mans tape delay.

Take the output of a DDL and feed it through a channel (feedback at 0%), take some high,high mids off, send it back to the delay. You probably need to do this post fade for the EQ to work on the auxes in most desks but that gives you the second fader as a feedback control.

You need a desk to do this so it's completely impractical for guitar but it's a nice trick for pulling a bit more of out digi stuff. DDL's tend to be quite harsh,unpleasant and ermm, digital with more than a repitition or two.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i want something like an echoplex, the tape style unit where i could for example scream a short sharp vocal and then loop it in repetition - mess around with the delay frequency and slow it right down and up while the short delay looped endlessly.

apparently there are a couple of danelectro pedals that do this and mimic the lofi tape sound. but by the looks of things, i could get an old WEM copicat for less!

i want something like an echoplex' date=' the tape style unit where i could for example scream a short sharp vocal and then loop it in repetition - mess around with the delay frequency and slow it right down and up while the short delay looped endlessly.

apparently there are a couple of danelectro pedals that do this and mimic the lofi tape sound. but by the looks of things, i could get an old WEM copicat for less![/quote']

I see what you mean. A dedicated mic for that purpose would work. I imagine these things only work on unbalanced jacks since they're meant for guitar so you could DI the output. I'd bring your own XLR to jack to gigs with you though. There's not a lot of use for them in a bigger PA setup so there probably won't be any lying about.

(note to bands: they don't have any use for jack to jacks either so bring your own)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i have a bunch of jack-xlrs anyway, cheers ian.

it looks like this is going ot be an expensive venture, curses. that is, unless anyone has a cheap tape delay/echo unit which they want to sell to me.

the new WEM digital copycat does all the delay stuff

like proper dub reggae stuff

ive got one but its not for sale but I dooo rekommend it....even though its a bit erratic for live use its good in the stoodio like

does what the tape copycat did but without the tapes basically