aberdeen-music

Just a tiny wee suggestion...

Dan G

When you are selecting what forum you want to browse, instead of looking like this:

General Forums

-- All Music Discussion

-- Feedback Forum

-- Musicians' Corner

Clubs & Venues

-- Dr Drakes

-- Other Clubs & Venues

Promoters

-- AUBL

-- DuckDuckGoose

-- FudgeNet

Local Band Forums

-- 10 Easy Wishes

-- Alyssa's Wish

-- Black Atom

etc. etc.

If it looked lke THIS, it would be easier to find and select your desired forum:

General Forums

-- All Music Discussion

-- Feedback Forum

-- Musicians' Corner

Clubs & Venues

-- Dr Drakes

-- Other Clubs & Venues

Promoters

-- AUBL

-- DuckDuckGoose

-- FudgeNet

Local Band Forums

-- 10 Easy Wishes

-- Alyssa's Wish

-- Black Atom

etc. etc.

Minor point, and not very important...

And just one other tiny wee suggestion... ditch the Feedback Forum. It smells of poo. Are we honestly expected to discuss forthcoming gigs on the All Music Discussion forum and then, once they're over, switch to the Feedback Forum if we wanna keep discussing them? And what happens when music threads go off-topic, where do they end up then? Oh, and why is water wet?

Originally posted by Kai:

And just one other tiny wee suggestion... ditch the Feedback Forum. It smells of poo. Are we honestly expected to discuss forthcoming gigs on the All Music Discussion forum and then, once they're over, switch to the Feedback Forum if we wanna keep discussing them? And what happens when music threads go off-topic, where do they end up then? Oh, and why is water wet?

This change has really bothered you hasnt it? The way I see it, if there is a discussion going about a gig on the all music forum, then fine, let it run its course. And threads wander off-topic, always have, always will. They almost always either wander back on-course again, or fizzle out anyway. No problem. But if someone just wants to let a band know what they thought of its performance, give feedback in other words, then it makes sense to have an area dedicated to this. If Ive just played a gig along with Orwell for AUBL at Drakes and want to know what people thought of it, should I then go to the all music forum, or the AUBL forum, or the Orwell forum, or the Dr Drakes forum? It just makes it easier to find posts of a certain type, thats all. And the feedback forum is also intended for feedback on other things, such as band CDs, members home recordings etc. Seems to me everything is just a hell of a lot easier to find now. Dont see why thats such a problem.

Well, think of it like this. Suppose you've been online browsing Aberdeen-Music for a while then you decide to go to the bathroom for a wank. It takes you longer than usual to cum, and by the time you return to the computer, 15 minutes have elapsed. 'I wonder what scintillating posts have been made in my absence?' you think to yourself. Normally, this question could be answered in seconds by simply going to the Wasteland and hitting refresh. Now, however, you've got to trawl through 15,0000,0000 separate forums until you hit the jackpot and find the one that's been posted in. It's like trying to find the wet patch on a leaky water bed.

Well, think of it like this. Suppose you've been online browsing Aberdeen-Music for a while then you decide to go to the bathroom for a wank. It takes you longer than usual to cum, and by the time you return to the computer, 15 minutes have elapsed. 'I wonder what scintillating posts have been made in my absence?' you think to yourself. Normally, this question could be answered in seconds by simply going to the Wasteland and hitting refresh. Now, however, you've got to trawl through 15,0000,0000 separate forums until you hit the jackpot and find the one that's been posted in. It's like trying to find the wet patch on a leaky water bed.

Fair enough, if you really want to read every last post of every minute of the day But 'trawl through 15Mforums' is a bit melodramatic. The only difference I can really see is in separating the music-orientated wheat from the who else likes potato waffles chaff. So thats two, then. Is that such a hassle? Surely there are some readers who are only interested in musical discussion, just as there are probably some who only like the irrelevant irreverent social interaction. Im sure most people are probably interested in reading both, but this way seems to me to offer the best choice of options, for the least effort. If you amalgamated all the separate forums, and had one all-encompassing uberforum, you would indeed see at a glance everything that was new since you became 10cc lighter, but youd have threads disappearing off the end quicker than those 10cc just did.

Another thought though On the home page, there has always been a latest forum topics feature showing most recent threads. Would this help? Could this be expanded to show all new posts over a wider period of time? How long should this cover? Maybe you could provide Neil with an average time spent on these relief breaks. Best make it a daily figure to get a nice wide range of readings

Well ya see, if it was just a case of having two main forums - a music one and random nonsene one it wouldn't be a problem. But no, instead we've got The Wasteland (fair enough) and then at least three music forums that all do exactly the same job. And you can try and argue otherwise, but deep down (somewhere near the male g-spot), you know they're essentially the same. It's like walking down Camden High Street and being accosted every step of the way by rastas trying to sell you weed. It's possible to have too much of a good thing. Or in the case of the music forums on here, a bad thing.

Maybe having a way of 'refreshing' the icons on the forums page would help. Don't know if it's possible but it would be handy.

Originally posted by Kus of the Valley:

If you keep your eyes, instead of on the individual forums, but instead on the "new posts" bitty accessable at the top left of the main page:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=getnew

you can hit refresh to get just the new stuff of all the forums. That should sort your problem Kai.

Cool, I'd never noticed that. That does indeed solve the problem then doesn't it? Does this mean my G-spot is safe?