aberdeen-music

Who says punk guitarist are shit?

Guest Savant

I can do the East Bay Ray sound.

Op Ivy sound I could do on my old Aria with the coils tapped...

Early Green day sound I can sometimes get (39/smooth era) but the Dookie sound is something of a mystery

I'm impressed about the EBR thing. A very difficult thing you have acheived.

Funnily enough Lint the ska king used an Aria with a coil tap. I just use my single coils on my strat.

Never really paid much attention to the Dookie thing though. I'll look into it.

Guest Savant
im using the scenario of a punk guitarist as a person playing punk in a punk band

therefor in that context he/she wont need to play any queen or eddie van halen stuff

if he/she did it in their spare time then fair enough' date=' but it would still be useless when it was time to play some punk

punk is basically no rules music but the one unwritten one is ''no fucking musos'' (I didnt write this...its just one of the ways punk can be loosly defined )

bastardising it with other more musically skilled genres is when it stops being punk and turns into something else

but lets not go there! :D

ANSWER TO ORIGINAL QUESTION:

A person making a statement like ''punk guitarists are shit'' is a dick (probably a muso)[/quote']

Fucking hell man, I was just saying 'check out the solo'! Did you actually check it out? It sounds good (whatever you call it).

i dont imagine any 'punk' guitarists would ever waste time ''learning all those scales / chords etc

if they did then they would be proper musicians pretending to be punks' date=' usually adopting the label to try to add cred to thier shitty metal and emo[/quote']

that's just the thing though! Some of them can! Billy Joe can solo, and Steve Jones played some decent guitar parts on BuckCherry's debut album. And why would an accomplished metal player adopt a punk label to add "cred" to their music? Why would you want people to percieve you as a musically inept moron?

Strung Out are awesome and their guitarists are very very good at what they do. They play very well together and seem to have a grasp at what they're both doing and play well off each other.

i'm not sure they are punk guitarists really, more metal guitarists playing on punk songs, but thats only my opinion. Its the same as Dustin and Teppi from Thrice, fucking awesome but more metal than punk.

:D

Guest Savant
You also asked ''who says punk guitarists are shit?''

I have evidence

Have you ever heard Strung Out? This thread wasn't intended as a 'what is punk?' debate; though I used the word 'punk' so I should've known it would....

I'll rephrase - "Who says guitarists in bands similar to Strung Out are shit?". Happy?

Guest Savant
Strung Out are awesome and their guitarists are very very good at what they do. They play very well together and seem to have a grasp at what they're both doing and play well off each other.

i'm not sure they are punk guitarists really' date=' more metal guitarists playing on punk songs, but thats only my opinion. Its the same as Dustin and Teppi from Thrice, fucking awesome but more metal than punk.

:D[/quote']

Yeah man I agree - they strung out guys are totally into Slayer etc but their music's... shhh 'punk'...

Thrice are just fucking amazing...wouldn't call them punk tho...nor metal...nor harcore! They just seem to mix them all prettymuch equally.

Have you ever heard Strung Out? This thread wasn't intended as a 'what is punk?' debate; though I used the word 'punk' so I should've known it would....

I'll rephrase - "Who says guitarists in bands similar to Strung Out are shit?". Happy?

thankyou for clarifying your question

yes, i would say guitarists in bands similar to strung out are shit

Guest bluesxman
Does it have more than 2 notes? If so' date=' it 's the height of decadence compared to the solo in Boredom by The Buzzcocks[/quote']

Dunno i'm a guitar dunce. Seems to be played on one string and one fret position then bends at the end, think it's 2 notes. But I await the corrections and abuse with glee