aberdeen-music

Mystery Jets Review From Drowned In Sound.

Ross

MYSTERY JETS

Date: Sunday 22th May

Tour Support(s):The Research

Local Support(s): Little Kicks

Type Of Music: Indie / Rock

Biog: from www.drownedinsound.com

Next up, the Mystery Jets. So youve heard the blurb. The hype about pots and pans and old guitarists, blah blah. Sure, its interesting, its intriguing, maybe to a certain extent even alluring fact is, to them its completely inconsequential. And to those whove shut up about the obvious and given the music a chance, its even more so.

10pm and the taunt of Zoo Time repeated over and over blasts at the audience. The atmosphere stiffens somewhat as those who havent experienced the Mystery Jets before wonder what the hells going on. Then they appear one by one: an insaniac professor behind a drum kit of scrap metal; a leather clad rock star posing and twisting; the boy next door, grinning excitedly; a greying guitarist, glazed and distant and a questionably normal looking one tucked behind a sparse drum layout.

A friend nearby taps me on the shoulder and questions, "What sort of band are they?". For once I dont know. There isnt a label with which to pigeon-hole the Mystery Jets. Experimental? Pop? Indie? Whichever I choose, Im wrong. My reply is simply, "it doesnt matter".

The next 40 minutes are a chaos of mixed and matched influences, from ska guitars to Caribbean oil drumming and everything in-between. Epileptic drum beats, sudden juxtapositions and shambolic harmonies everything about the Mystery Jets is a contradiction in terms. They sound messy and anarchic whilst being mesmerisingly tight. The songs are difficult and intelligent at the same time as being accessible and poppy. The performance is light-hearted yet head-swimmingly intense. Even their stage personas, despite pulling in completely different directions, all show a yearning and respect for the same unconventionalism.

Every corner of every song is stuffed with something exciting and refreshing. This is everyday enchantment, a sort of Laymans alchemy or magic out of mediocrity. The Mystery Jets live show is not something to forget, but something to remember. Its the transformation of basic matter into something inspiring. They take something boring and stale, then twist it, fuck it up, do whats not supposed to happen. If you thought having the singers father in the band was the height of eccentricity, youd better think again.

Doors: 7.30pm

Ages: Over 14s

Price: 5

Tickets from: www.seetickets.com One Up (01224) 642 662 or in person from The Bassment (excluding Booking Fee)

i saw mystery jets with the futureheads and thought they were pretty rubbish/boring. i'm sure they would appeal to a lot of people though, otherwise they wouldn't be on a headline tour! if you go to the gig, try and work out whether the old guy on the far side of the stage is someone's dad, or the guy that used to have the spare garage to practise in......