aberdeen-music

Monica Queen + Pinkie Maclure and John Wills + The Martha Dumptruck Massacre - 20/05

interesting music are proud to present another eclectic evening of entertainment

Friday 20th May

The Tunnels,

Carnegies Brae

Aberdeen,

Doors 8pm, Entry 5

featuring

Monica Queen

Pinkie Maclure and John Wills

The Martha Dumptruck Massacre

Monica Queen

Monica Queen is really 2 people. Monica and Johnny Smillie, founder members of the seminal THRUM. The respect they gained through THRUM earned them the plaudits of sounding like Janis Joplin fronting Teenage Fanclub and Tammy Wynette with a hard on. Grant Lee Buffalo, The Jayhawks and Shane McGowan were all impressed enough to have Monica join them onstage. Mark and Lard came on board as fans after seeing them on The Word and invited them on to their show several times. Thrum had been dormant for a few years when Stuart form Belle and Sebastian asked Monica to salvage a song that he felt needed something extra special. The result was "Lazy Line Painter Jane" which went on to be the fan's favourite and band's closing number. It was after seeing the reaction to Monica while singing with the Belle's at the Royal Albert Hall, Glastonbury, Benicassim and The Barrowland's among others that Johnny realised that Monica needed a new vehicle for her voice. This resulted in the wonderfully reviewed "Ten Sorrowful Mysteries" and showed a whole new depth to Monica's vocals accompanied by Johnny's trademark guitar and inventive electronica. It was widely acknowledged that this was a coming of age for Monica's talents and she is regarded as one of Scotland's greatest vocalist's while retaining her hard earned credibility .This earned some new fans too - James Grant asked her to sing the opening track on his album "I Shot the Albatross" as well as providing harmonies on other tracks and then again on his new album "Holy Love" and has become an integral part of James live shows. Chris Coco of Radio 1's Blue Room invited Monica to collaborate on his album Next Wave along with Nick Cave and Peter Green. Jim White also was impressed enough to ask Monica and Johnny to work on a track with him and has contributed to a track on the new Monica album "Return of the Sacred Heart" This new work sees Johnny take Monica's voice to another level again and the sparse production gives it room to be heard in all it's glory.

www.monicaqueen.co.uk

Pinkie MacLure and John Wills

Pinkie Maclure (Sigmatropic / Spleen / The Real Tuesday Weld) and John Wills (LOOP/ Natacha Atlas / Cornershop) are two of a kind. After raising age-old galleons and the neck hair of residing deadheads with Hello, they scoured their soundings and descended headlong into an electronique underwurlde with Lumen. Now they've settled into the deep organic ooze of Cellardyke Harbour as the East Neuk's solitary weird folk-psych duo, mixing electric dulcimer, concertina, spartan beats and pagan verses to create a hypnotic mixture sometimes reminiscent of June Tabor and acoustic-era Swans."Having recently seen them @ The Fence weekend I would also say @ times think Souixe's Creatures meets

Marie Boine. Absolutely magical live" (chilli)

www.pinkiemaclure.co.uk

The Martha Dump Truck Massacre

The collective known as THE MARTHA DUMPTRUCK MASSACRE carry on the tradition

of delivering sound sensation to longing ears. In recent years, independent rock critics and art enthusiasts alike have engorged in the group's musical craft. The Martha Dumptruck Massacre was formed in 2001 by main songwriter Joel Alter. The band has had a constantly rotating lineup in order to accommodate the variety of sounds and styles the band employs.(There have been 50+ members in the band in the past few years.) In 2003, mainstay multi-instrumentalist Scott Wiener (of the Bikini Carwash Company) joined the collective. Soon after, the band began recording regularly and has been touring around North America and Europe frequently. Joel writes songs that make you happy and sad at the same time. One second the songs are quiet-whispered-between-the-sheet stories and the next they are cover-your-ears-shake-your-head-move-your-body rock. As he says, "Once you play with the Martha Dumptruck Massacre, you're always a member." During their live show, MDM gets everyone involved in the music, whether it be meditative head bobbing or singing along. So, in essence, once you see the Martha Dumptruck Massacre, you are forever part of them.

www.themarthadumptruckmassacre.com

A triple bill to make you thank xxxx its Friday again

Honest to god...The Martha Dumptruck Massacre are amazing...they have Rikki Will from Copy_HaHo on drums, Gavin Will from Masamune/Project:Ven-Hell and Al Chiverski from Masamune playing guitar type instruments....when i saw the guy Joel Alter play on his own last year he was immense....with a full band it promises to be amazing....

Honest to god...The Martha Dumptruck Massacre are amazing...they have Rikki Will from Copy_HaHo on drums' date=' Gavin Will from Masamune/Project:Ven-Hell and Al Chiverski from Masamune playing guitar type instruments....when i saw the guy Joel Alter play on his own last year he was immense....with a full band it promises to be amazing....[/quote']

i kinda recognise that line-up, seems to be a case of dejavu...............

what a great eclectic show this is going to be......... & check the picture of John & Pinkie

in the current issue of The Wire Magazine.

ps John & Pinkie's latest release is a firm favourite of the staff of The Wire Magazine.

If i brought 4.96 to get in...would you let me? Because i just looked and that is actually all the money in my gay little change purse! Im sure i could rake around some couches for the extra 4p needed....but i think 4.96 is a fair price to pay to get in..... :D

I think a FAIR price is probably nearer 10!

I think a FAIR price is probably nearer 10!

you are obviously right about that, but we wouldn't turn anybody away for thew sake of a few pence.

However we are aware & wary of chancers turning-up & one has marked their own card after Saturday!!!!!!!

and i forgot to say' date=' in my opinion Pinkie Maclure has the best voice in

contemporary music in Scotland. Her range is incredible, her style is even

more incredible torch songs, free folk, jazz, come see what the fuss is about[/quote']

a tipsy me returns from a Xenophon meeting.....on my way there tho.....i had to pick up my cds from the Tunnels after the boy lacks patience gig............i had been told to check out Pinkie Maclure the other day............and i liked what i heard in the sound check a LOT ^_^..........unfortunately.....i am drunk and have to go to bed and get up and go to art school tomorrow am to make sure my degree show happens.........but as for the rest of you ...........go see PINKIE MACLURE! ^_^ i reckon i'd like the rest of it too....i'm gonna go some other time

as for THRUM...........they ring bells in my little head......i'm tipsy and dyslexic (therefore only skimmed what was said) but i think when i was 13 (11yrs ago) my friend's sister's boyfriend was in Thrum and my friend (who incidently introduced me to the Pixies then) spoke about them quite a bit .....so that intrigues me too..........

all this is for a more coherant sober me who has finished her degree...........i'll check it all out properly then :) *twitter twitter twitch*

a tipsy me returns from a Xenophon meeting.....on my way there tho.....i had to pick up my cds from the Tunnels after the boy lacks patience gig............i had been told to check out Pinkie Maclure the other day............and i liked what i heard in the sound check a LOT ^_^..........unfortunately.....i am drunk and have to go to bed and get up and go to art school tomorrow am to make sure my degree show happens.........but as for the rest of you ...........go see PINKIE MACLURE! ^_^ i reckon i'd like the rest of it too....i'm gonna go some other time

as for THRUM...........they ring bells in my little head......i'm tipsy and dyslexic (therefore only skimmed what was said) but i think when i was 13 (11yrs ago) my friend's sister's boyfriend was in Thrum and my friend (who incidently introduced me to the Pixies then) spoke about them quite a bit .....so that intrigues me too..........

all this is for a more coherant sober me who has finished her degree...........i'll check it all out properly then :) *twitter twitter twitch*

Just no dioubts about Pinkie's voice, their 1st set in Aberdeen was astonishing & our audience bought every single CD. For the second time in six weeks thev'e blown me

away. And lots of the interesting music regulars think the same.

What a great complementary line-up.........