i hate being a student

catherine

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest *alex*
its impossible to get a summer job. no where seems to want to take people on for 4 months. i had this problem last year and its happening all over again.... grrr

Pretend you want it for longer than four months, then just quit after 4months..

I heard Boots in Mannofield were looking for a summer worker though.

mannofield isnt close to my house though...

they always ask and i hate lying. one job even made me come back to aberdeen (costing me 40) to then tell me after the first interview stage that they couldnt take me on for four months, but will offer me a term time job in ayr next year.... why cant i just work over summer then transfer? their reason was it takes 4 months to get fully up to scratch then id be leaving... but if their offering me another job i wouldnt be leaving?????

Guest tv tanned

most supermarkets will be looking for temporary staff, the trick is not to be fussy and remember that at this stage most students work for the money and not for the job satisfaction!

It is possible to find a job anywhere, it just depends how fussy you are.

Nursing homes are always looking for bank staff, but people over look them because they can't stomach the idea of wiping an arse once in a while - it's actually a very small part of the job. Same for Auxillary staff up at the hospital.

Nursing Homes,

Aberdeen Royal Infirmary,

Space Kitchens,

Pubs,

Woolworths,

Marks and Spencers

Try the likes of there. :)

Little John's were looking for full time waiting staff over summer I think. Just print out heaps of CVs and hand them in everywhere, even if they haven't any jobs going, you never know.

Ooo, and I used to work in McCall's dress hire on Bridge Street, they normally get busy over summer what with weddings and graduations. Piss easy, just measuring guys for kilts.

Have you got an old employer you could approach?

Guest stuartmaxwell

its a case of getting off yer arse and finding one

following up every week "did you get my cv anything going?"

you will get the call

Little John's were looking for full time waiting staff over summer I think. Just print out heaps of CVs and hand them in everywhere' date=' even if they haven't any jobs going, you never know.

Ooo, and I used to work in McCall's dress hire on Bridge Street, they normally get busy over summer what with weddings and graduations. Piss easy, just measuring guys for kilts.

Have you got an old employer you could approach?[/quote']

To think you could have sized up my gusset! *Shudders/gets pleasure?*

asda at the beach are still hirin staff

as is the 'foyer' and 'forum' restaurants, both for summer students

sainsburys at berryden are looking for people

boots in the bon accord centre have started taking summer applications

why not try the cinemas? they're always looking for people over the summer

good luck tho :cheers:

Guest valley69
yes indeed. its something a bit different' date=' beats sitting at a till all day long. the uniform is shit though.[/quote']

id be up for that, fit dus the job entail?

It is possible to find a job anywhere' date=' it just depends how fussy you are.

Nursing homes are [b']always looking for bank staff, but people over look them because they can't stomach the idea of wiping an arse once in a while - it's actually a very small part of the job. Same for Auxillary staff up at the hospital.

I take it you speak from experience ?

uhhhh.. why was i called an idiot by someone on this thread? i'm not fussed, but i was just wondering why i had a scene point removed due to some comment i made within this thread?!

please enlighten me, i don't see an 'idiot' remark made by me..

I take it you speak from experience ?

Yes.

I worked as a care assistant in a nursing home for over a year' date=' at weekends and during holidays, gave it up when Uni started. :)

Plan to apply to the auxillary nurse bank up at the hospital for the summer, mostly because the pay is marginally better and I'll be living close to there. Although if for some reason they don't have anything available I'll just apply to another nursing home.

Yes you have to wipe arse, yes you have to wash and dress old people, but while I know it sounds like a cliche I still maintain that it's an incredibly rewarding job and to an extent I do actually really miss working there.[/color']

I worked as a care assistant in a nursing home for over a year' date=' at weekends and during holidays, gave it up when Uni started. :)

Plan to apply to the auxillary nurse bank up at the hospital for the summer, mostly because the pay is marginally better and I'll be living close to there. Although if for some reason they don't have anything available I'll just apply to another nursing home.

Yes you have to wipe arse, yes you have to wash and dress old people, but while I know it sounds like a cliche I still maintain that working there was incredibly rewarding and to an extent I do actually really miss working there.[/color']

one day we will all be in nursin homes, and we'll be thankful for people like you!!

:)

Haha, go to Asda.

The standard of some of the people working with us is awful, pay is good enough for students (5.06 for under 18s, about 5.40 for over 18s), and it's open till 10pm, so ideal for evening work. I think they're still recruiting for the beach at the moment too (??)

However, another supermarket may be better, with shorter inductions. Bastards.

Haha' date=' go to Asda.

The standard of some of the people working with us is awful, pay is good enough for students (5.06 for under 18s, about 5.40 for over 18s), and it's open till 10pm, so ideal for evening work. I think they're still recruiting for the beach at the moment too (??)

However, another supermarket may be better, with shorter inductions. Bastards.[/quote']

haha.. i work in the beach asda, it's actually really good fun!! i've got great people to work with, apart from 2, who i'd quite easily throw of the nearest cliff

one day we will all be in nursin homes' date=' and we'll be thankful for people like you!!

:)[/quote']

It's the way to think about it, if you're not willing to look after the elderly, how can you expect anyone to look after you when you get to a point in your life when you require round the clock care?

I'll admit when it was suggested to me that I apply there I put it off and off because I really didn't want to have to look after smelly old folk, but I needed the care experience for the Medicine. Now I'd recommend it to anyone who feels they've got a caring - and reasonably patient - disposition, especially those who are considering applying to Medicine or Nursing - if you haven't had previous experience working with the elderly then boy are you going to get a shock when you eventually get onto the wards.

Yes.

Yes you have to wipe arse, yes you have to wash and dress old people, but while I know it sounds like a cliche I still maintain that it's an incredibly rewarding job and to an extent I do actually really miss working there.[/color']

I give you credit then, I was a student nurse for almost 2 years and I hated it.

Guest valley69

my mum does it and loves it. I couldnt handle the shit though, no matter how natural it is, though respect to rainbowprincess and co for fit they do. word. :rockon:

haha.. i work in the beach asda' date=' it's actually really good fun!! i've got great people to work with, apart from 2, who i'd quite easily throw of the nearest cliff[/quote']

You work in the restaurant, yes? If so, it was my counter you stole the ice off of on Sunday, haha, woo. We have a few ace people in our little bit, but a couple of assholes too, but as tv_tanned said, we're really working for the money more than any job satisfaction at this stage.