aberdeen-music

Wages - Opinions wanted

Guest Bob Double Jack

Stacc Set

We played this overhyped dive in Glasgow once on a Monday night for a guy that said he was a friend. He totally stiffed us and even stole the petrol from Andy's car and tried to make off with Ziggy's girlfriend!

We have still to get him back! The night was named 'Orio Dipfucks' or something. If you know who I mean avoid at all costs, he's trouble and carry's a knife that only stabbed backs!!! :jester::laughing:

Guest Bob Double Jack
you were playing the malt mill the other night no??

Surely you cant mean that place........

What happened was, my brother has moved to Stockport and has started hanging about with some guys in a band. He phoned me on Wednesday night - during the Pool game- and went on some rant about his mates band, etc etc being promised one thing, and then getting another. He was wanting some advice, so I offered some (along the line of some posts here!), but thought I'd ask for some other stories and experiences that I can pass on to him. They're all youngish lads, and it was only their second or third gig.

We haven't been fleeced by anyone since 1993, when we played at The Neptune Bar, with a band called "White Knuckle Ride". Basically, we 'supported them', by taking 100 mates from school along, getting pissed and, as I was only 17 and unable to hold my beer, they legged it with the 300 door money while we were dismantling our gear. And it was the bar owner who gave them the money as well. Sorry to disappoint anyone sifting for names but there you go. I have no bad words to say about any venues in this town - all of them are fabulous (and anyone got any dates going?).

Bob

If you agreed a fee for a gig (a verbal agreement) with a venue' date=' played the gig and then discovered that you were not getting the fee that had been discussed for one reason or another, how would you react, and what steps would you take to rectify the situation?

I'd like to hear some venues views on this as well to even it out.

:swearing:[/quote']

I'd tell Del and get him to go round and kill them :)

If a venue wont pay me the agreed amount the words 'petrol' and 'bomb' spring to mind ;)

Before I get any backlash on that comment I was just kidding!!

In previous bands we used to try and get the agreed fee in writing (could also be email) or via an agent' date=' that way you have a course of legal action if the venue doesnt come up with the readies.

I know very little about Law, but is a verbal agreement not binding in Scottish law?[/quote']

I a verbal agreement is a valid contract but the problem is that you don't have any proof of the contract existing. Im not certain but maybe if you had corroborative evidence you could enforce it.