aberdeen-music

WAV CD roms?

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest Zeenat Aman

In order to access samples on a wav cd rom, do you need a sampler, or can you get at the single notes/samples by opening them up in cool edit?

I dont own a keyboard or a sampler, but I place(paste) samples to make parts in cool edit. This will be possible with wav format cd roms?

This is the CD rom I'm maybe going to buy

mellotrx.jpg

You should be fine, the cd will simply contain the wav file samples that you can do as you please with. Remember to copy the ones you want to the computer. You may have to set them read/write because they typically copy from CDs with their read-only attribute selected. It's easy to do, by right-clicking on the file and choosing Properties, then unticking the "Read-only" tick box.

Other than that, you should be able to import them straight into Cool Edit, or any audio software for that matter.

ahah, but looking at the cd i can see that you probably DO want to use these with a sequencer. do you have a MIDI keyboard that you'd like to use these samples with? ideally you would be better looking for some sort of mellotron VST or soundfont to use, as from the looks of this page, you are getting a sample for each note of the mellotron, is that correct? in which case you'd either need a hardware sequencer to load this stuff into, or a software one that you'll have to load up manually with these samples. perhaps the CD has some instructions, i've never done something like this before.

edit: e.g. something like this mellotron soundfont from sonic implants:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/ProductDetail.asp?Item=MellotronVintage

Guest Zeenat Aman

I dont have a keyboard yet, or any kind of sampler, I'm just looking for certain sound samples of individual mellotron notes. I will then make parts from those single note samples in cool edit, in the multi track section.

Time consuming, but it'll do for just now.

Thanks for the reply ;)

Guest Zeenat Aman
wow' date=' painstaking!

[/quote']

I kind of like that way of working, as it can result in some interesting/unintentional surprises, especially if i'm working on drum/percussuion stuff!

I kind of like that way of working' date=' as it can result in some interesting/unintentional surprises, especially if i'm working on drum/percussuion stuff![/quote']

One of these days I am gonna tie you up and force you to watch me demonstrating how liberating and easy to use a decent vst sequencer is! Your tracks deserve better than cooledit, and I am being deadly serious when I say that.

wow thats going to take a while.

the only think i would say is that having played about with some mellotron samples in my sampler, the whole "mellotron sound" comes from the different attacks that you get from playing the sounds on a keyboard, so if you just paste the .wav files into your sequencer they might sound cool...just not that much like a mellotron (i think anyway.) i also found in order to get them sounding right the attack and decay times of the sampler had to be adjusted to avoid clicks at the start of the note etc...if i were you id invest in a samper first.

iain

Guest Zeenat Aman
One of these days I am gonna tie you up and force you to watch me demonstrating how liberating and easy to use a decent vst sequencer is! Your tracks deserve better than cooledit' date=' and I am being deadly serious when I say that.[/quote']

Educate me sir!?

:D

wow thats going to take a while.

the only think i would say is that having played about with some mellotron samples in my sampler' date=' the whole "mellotron sound" comes from the different attacks that you get from playing the sounds on a keyboard, so if you just paste the .wav files into your sequencer they might sound cool...just not that much like a mellotron (i think anyway.) i also found in order to get them sounding right the attack and decay times of the sampler had to be adjusted to avoid clicks at the start of the note etc...if i were you id invest in a samper first.

iain[/quote']

Hmmm, having played a real one, the clicks are part of the sound(sometimes). That's one of the problems, I think, with some peoples use of tron samples, they get rid of the erattic aspects of the instrument/sound. This isn't aimed at you as I haven't heard your samples, or how you use them. :p

I think I should buy a midi keyboard as soon as possible huh? I've ordered the cd rom, the other stuff is going to have to be given to me as a gift. ;)

got a question kind of along the same line

my mobile will take mp3s no problem, however you can't use them as ringtones.

I bought a programme calle Ring Tones, by a company called MAGIX and did all my favorite mp3s and uploaded them, but unfortunately by the time I finished, and was patting myself on the back, I flippen realised that the ringtones on my phone are in midi format. So the question is:

How do you take mp3s and turn them into midi files?

Any free software out there to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Bobbie

wow' date=' painstaking!

that's why i suggested the soundfont, because then you can use a program like cubasis or cubase or cakewalk (i think) to plot the notes in the midi sequencer, and the soundfont will do the rest.[/quote']

my mobile will take mp3s no problem' date=' however you can't use them as ringtones.

I bought a programme calle Ring Tones, by a company called MAGIX and did all my favorite mp3s and uploaded them, but unfortunately by the time I finished, and was patting myself on the back, I flippen realised that the ringtones on my phone are in midi format. So the question is:

How do you take mp3s and turn them into midi files?

Any free software out there to do that?

Thanks in advance,

Bobbie[/quote']

i very much doubt there would be software to do that, it would require some fairly impressive pitch recognition technology to do it. converting from MIDI to MP3 on the other hand, well that should be quite easy.

Hmmm' date=' having played a real one, the clicks are part of the sound(sometimes). That's one of the problems, I think, with some peoples use of tron samples, they get rid of the erattic aspects of the instrument/sound. This isn't aimed at you as I haven't heard your samples, or how you use them. [/quote']

yeah i know what you mean...unfortunately i dont think the clicks found witha digital .wav file sound as "good" as those generated by a real mellotron, and a virtual mellotron probably isnt nearly as erratic as a real one.

iain

In order to access samples on a wav cd rom' date=' do you need a sampler, or can you get at the single notes/samples by opening them up in cool edit?

I dont own a keyboard or a sampler, but I place(paste) samples to make parts in cool edit. This will be possible with wav format cd roms?

[/quote']

Only problem you might get is that loop points might be lost for sustained notes.You might also have issues with velocity switching. Personally I avoid sample CDs in .WAV format as they are very close in price to the sampler format CDs and often loose velocity crossfades, keyboard mappings, patch combinations etc.

Haven't looked at that sample CD but many of the distributers now post a selection of free snippets on their websites to try.

Sometimes taking the long painful route produces better results.. I'm with you on that one. No pain, no gain :) thats why I still step program my MC-202

There is a certain irony in having Mellotron samples.. it was after all the very first 'sampler'

There were some really good articles in Sound on Sound about the history of the Mellotron a few years ago. Covered the different versions up to Mk V and all the tapes produced for them.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Only problem you might get is that loop points might be lost for sustained notes.You might also have issues with velocity switching. Personally I avoid sample CDs in .WAV format as they are very close in price to the sampler format CDs and often loose velocity crossfades' date=' keyboard mappings, patch combinations etc.

Haven't looked at that sample CD but many of the distributers now post a selection of free snippets on their websites to try.

Sometimes taking the long painful route produces better results.. I'm with you on that one. No pain, no gain :) thats why I still step program my MC-202

There is a certain irony in having Mellotron samples.. it was after all the very first 'sampler'

There were some really good articles in Sound on Sound about the history of the Mellotron a few years ago. Covered the different versions up to Mk V and all the tapes produced for them.[/quote']

Mellotron notes aint for looping. they literally have a beginning, ie the first scratch of a violin bow, or the "too" of a flautist and an end, the bow coming off the strings etc. One of the reasons some peoples samples dont sound real is that they loop them.

The more raw and unedited/produced the mellotron sample is, the better.

Mellotron notes aint for looping. they literally have a beginning' date=' ie the first scratch of a violin bow, or the "too" of a flautist and an end, the bow coming off the strings etc. One of the reasons some peoples samples dont sound real is that they loop them.

The more raw and unedited/produced the mellotron sample is, the better.[/quote']

Not my understanding of how the Mellotron series works. All the sounds are constructed from tape loops. They don't have a beginning/middle/end as such.

The artifacts you refer to are caused by the mechanical mechanism in the Mellotron the scratchyness of the pickup heads, the tape loop points, wow and flutter, tape noise, wear and tear.

Listen to many famous Mellotron pieces and you can hear the 'click' as the pickup head goes over the loop point in the tape for that note.

This was my understanding why all the Mellotron sounds were organ/voice/string/woodwind rather than percussive.

Most sample Cds digitally loop the sustain point to save sampler memory, and sample cd space.

Fair point' date=' but if the samples were only 8 seconds long like the actual mellotron, wouldn't you hear a constant click if the loop lasted for say a whole song?[/quote']

Yes you can. It becomes less noticeable with more notes sustained. Its not really loud but it can be picked out. The choir 'aaaahhhh' Mellotron sound its noticeable on, less so on some others. There are different versions of the tapes too.

If you were looping digitally you could edit out this quirk.

Have a look at http://www.mellotron.com/archives.html

Guest Zeenat Aman

Mellotron tapes aren't loops!

If you hold down a key for more than 8 seconds, you will get a clunk, then silence, until you release the key. The tape will rewind to the beginning upon release.

http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/v_teach/mellotron.html

This was my understanding why all the Mellotron sounds were organ/voice/string/woodwind rather than percussive.

All mellotron sounds last no longer than the 8 seconds of tape available, including sound effects(machine guns, horses, cows mooing!!!), piano's, vibraphones, single hits of percussive instruments and the more well known 'classic' sounds associated with the instrument.

Mellotron tapes aren't loops!

If you hold down a key for more than 8 seconds' date=' you will get a clunk, then silence, until you release the key. The tape will rewind to the beginning upon release.

All mellotron sounds last no longer than the 8 seconds of tape available[/quote']

Sorry you are completely correct.. the tapes do not loop.

Not sure where I got that idea from, I remember reading an interview with OMD and them talking about using Mellotron on the begining of Joan of Arc and how you can hear the loop points.. thinking about it now doesn't make any sense.. and they could easily have been telling porkies.. probably find out now its not even Mellotron.. lol..

I must have got confused with a prototype or something. I remember a lot of famous users had them modified at the time or had custom tape sets created.

I did find some samples located here:

http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/mellotron/

Apologies for any confusion.. :)

Guest Zeenat Aman
Sorry you are completely correct.. the tapes do not loop.

Not sure where I got that idea from' date=' I remember reading an interview with OMD and them talking about using Mellotron on the begining of Joan of Arc and how you can hear the loop points.. thinking about it now doesn't make any sense.. and they could easily have been telling porkies.. probably find out now its not even Mellotron.. lol..

I must have got confused with a prototype or something. I remember a lot of famous users had them modified at the time or had custom tape sets created.

I did find some samples located here:

[url']http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/mellotron/

Apologies for any confusion.. :)

I think OMD did infact use one during their early days, so just the loop bit is porkies. :)

Some lovely, and not so lovely, real sound examples can be found here:

http://www.blackcat.demon.co.uk/tron/

Thanks. Darn, guess I'll have to just download some midi files for the meantime....

again thanks,

Bobbie

i very much doubt there would be software to do that' date=' it would require some fairly impressive pitch recognition technology to do it. converting from MIDI to MP3 on the other hand, well that should be quite easy.[/quote']