aberdeen-music

Whats up with shit snares?

threeornothing

Anyone heard them? They're all over the radio...New singles by Oasis' date=' Athlete, Snow patrol, coldplay etc etc etc..... snare drums that sound like they were recorded in a 10' metal pipe....I think it sounds shit...who's responsible? Which band took in St.Anger to their producer and said "thats a snare drum!" :D[/quote']

i hate snare drums, i spent about 4 hours last night trying to get the right sound out of one in cubase, it just wasn't gonna happen.

irecon i always get to anal when it comes to stuff that i'm involved in though, far to close.

i quite like the sound l got on the first track on this page, www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

what do you think?

i hate snare drums' date=' i spent about 4 hours last night trying to get the right sound out of one in cubase, it just wasn't gonna happen.

irecon i always get to anal when it comes to stuff that i'm involved in though, far to close.

i quite like the sound l got on the first track on this page, [url']www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

what do you think?

He does...... but i loves him.....

Word on the street is that he is a body double for Will Young videos.

xCROONERxCOREx

*one of these above may not actually be true

Its ok' date=' we know you love snares really :D

Funnily enough I've been having a hassle getting a decent snare sound in Cubase aswell, can't listen to your link at work just now, have a listen here to see what you think of the snare sound I got out of cubase :D [url']http://www.keilan303.demon.co.uk/redmedicine-song2.mp3 . I'll probably end up going for triggers, just sure as hell won't be going for the ones I'm ranting about above!

Funnily enough I've been having a hassle getting a decent snare sound in Cubase aswell, can't listen to your link at work just now,[/quote']

i'm at work the now too, i'll also listen later,

what version of cubase are you running? i'm on sx2

Guest Scorge Spike

My brief two cents....

I think the problem with acoustic snares at the moment is that they're all geared towards tight, crisp sound with the emphasis on pitch, not depth - most commercial pop and rock records are evidence of this with the clear 'crack' sound coming across. Obviously you can tune downwards, but I think there's a worrying trend with the actual manufacture of a snare away from the deeper, more resonant sound that I much prefer.

www.myspace.com/onionterror

Worst snare in history' date=' it's the house kit in the toms recording studio and it sounds like someones hitting a wok with a wet tampon (the kind that expand 30 times their original size).[/quote']

Who was mixing? I've heard that same sound used on the excerts EP...sounds awful...last time i recorded at Toms it came out ok and it was rushed....I wonder why they insist on doing that to the drums? :( Maybe it sounds great in the mixing room at the time?

i hate snare drums' date=' i spent about 4 hours last night trying to get the right sound out of one in cubase, it just wasn't gonna happen.

i quite like the sound l got on the first track on this page, [url']www.myspace.com/genevieveuk

what do you think?

Sounds great...cool song!! Good job

Who was mixing? I've heard that same sound used on the excerts EP...sounds awful...last time i recorded at Toms it came out ok and it was rushed....I wonder why they insist on doing that to the drums? :( Maybe it sounds great in the mixing room at the time?

It was Paul DeNiro, i think it's just the shit snare used as opposed to with the mixing; although i did think that it would have sounded a bit better after he'd tampered with the settings. Never mind, next time we record the drummer's going to bring his own kit.

Regarding kit-sounds one of my recent favourites is the Vol 3 slipknot album, and the Living End sound from 'Modern ARTillery', although because i'm not a drummer they're probably shite.

Ic an't wait to record with Scott's newer Tama snare. It's smaller than your average snare in diameter and has a hammered shell. He's tuned it and it gives a really tight crack! which cuts through the mix...personally how I like it to sound...whiippp CRACK!

Funnily enough I've been having a hassle getting a decent snare sound in Cubase aswell, can't listen to your link at work just now, have a listen here to see what you think of the snare sound I got out of cubase :D [url']http://www.keilan303.demon.co.uk/redmedicine-song2.mp3 . I'll probably end up going for triggers, just sure as hell won't be going for the ones I'm ranting about above!

this is a very cool tune, anyone reading this should go listen to it.

i recon you could save the snare though, i'm not a fan of triggers.