Jump to content
aberdeen-music

Friday 23rd @ Kef


Teabags
 Share

Recommended Posts

Friday January 23rd, Kef

New Faith, Apraxia, Hexagonal Pensioners, Element 106

Well, I turned up right at the start of this gig, for reasons unknown to myself. In fact, if I remember correctly (which I do) I was the first person through the door. But well, it was fucking wet and cold, and I just wanted to hear some music really. I looked out of place in my Pig Destroyer shirt punk patch covered jacket, but fuck it. I also felt out of place, considering I'd be locked up if I touched any of the girls (or boys if I was that way inclined, which I am not) there.

This was the first gig Id been to in kef apart from the debut gig that was held hear during the GoNorth thing, with WBL and Alyssa's Wish etc. And anyway, just to throw something in to this review randomly, I preferred Lava.

So, after waiting for a wee while and having a few bottles of fish-guts (it was only 1.50) I headed downstairs to watch the first band. New Faith opened up the night. Now I'd seen this lot at what I think was their first ever gig, and they were bad. Two things they had going for them was that A. they had a song called Rape, Murder, Suicide, which was funny, and B. there were many many many jokes made about the singer sounding like a toad. Same line-up, and they opened with a verse and a chorus form Seek 'n' Destroy. Musically, it was tight, but the vocals were just, still toad-ish. As the night wore on, it became apparent that the only real thing this band had going for them was some guitarists that can play not too bad. After seeing them do a not too bad cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls (which is nothing too hard) they went onto Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" (or did they play Slayer before Metallica, hmm, canna mind). Anyway, the Slayer cover was BAD. Better than their last gig, but still BAD. Went off-time, missed out parts, played riffs wrong, eeeek, it was scary. Word of advice, stop playing that song. Other than that, with a few gigs and more originals as opposed to covers that they are incapable of playing, and when the guitarist stops thinking hes Kirk Hammet on stage at Wembley, New Faith could be a half decent Metal act (well, they might at least be better than Reap).

Back upstairs, more beer, downstairs again for the next band.

Apraxia, started off and it was clear that they were funk to the max. At this point I'm thinking somewhere between Red Hot Chili Peppers and Primus. The vocals were quite strange, but cool. Can't really say who they remind me of, cos the little fun I listen to, I forget about soon after. But its good. In the first song, its made apparent that they have a good bassist, and a good guitarist also, who pulls off a real nice solo. Now, before going into the second song, the bassist and drummer decided to have a little jam session. I think I saw the guitarist change the guitar, but I dunno, maybe the jam was just to show off. And they did, cos the bassist is fucking phenomenal! Anyway, the set wore on, and yes, the bassist and guitarist are both VERY good with their instruments, but the guitarist took over on vocals for one of the songs, and I didn't like that. The sound in the room really didn't compliment Apraxia's style of music, with the bass being too low and the vocals too high. But yeah, it wore on. and on. and on. Eventually it got boring with nothing to really add to the flavour, after watching these guys play around and prove they could play, it just got monotonous, with the songs sounding samey. And also, the drumming was very monotone as well. Even though I can understand that their is not much room for the drummer to explore with funk, still, he could have done something, he was capable of it, and he just looked like he needed to lighten up.

Anyway, if you're into funk, you'll like them, coos they are good, just a bit samey sounding for an entire set.

Next, Hexagonal Pensioners. Now I didn't know what to expect form this lot. All I know is they make some girl wet. And now that I have seen them, I can say they don't make me wet, or give me a hardon, nothing like that. Good guitarist, good bassist, decent drummer. Thats it. The music itself did nothing for me. You can solo, you can tap, and you can even go into off time beats and rhythms in places, yippee.

I can see why some people may like them, but I just dont. Funky stuff with a hint of lounge music (I dunno, I just thought of lounge music while listening) and vocals that remind me of Les Claypool.

Thats all.

Now, the headliners, my old band, Element 106. Now I've never done this, have to watch a band playing live that I used to be in. And I'll say it straight off, it was weird. I think the first thing that grabbed peoples attention when they walked on stage was either A.Hoggs weird wee green guitar or B. the glaring shine off Hoggs head. But I must get on with it. They opened with 'No-One, a heavy song. Tony started vocals, and it was a nice low toned growl. Different form what I used to do (no Jaimi, not a fucking Dani Filth rip-off!), but whatever; I wasnt coming along to see how well he impersonated me. But the song sounded the same as I remember it apart from the vox. Which is good. They then went straight into a slowed down one 'Over You Now' which I thought would be very interesting to hear what the new axe-man Hogg did for the solo (which, if you havent heard it, is a good solo composed by old guitarist, Ian). And the song ran through, sounding good, and the same as it used to, and then the time for the solo came. And emm, it was very quiet. From what I could hear, it was also very different, and seemed very random, but whatever, it wasn't dismal (which to be honest, I thought it was going to be). And so the set ran on, all the songs that were played sounding as they used to, apart form two. 'I Try', a much softer song in which Jaimi takes over on vocals with a very melodic voice, was different, cos while I used to go off stage and have a drink and a fag during this song, Tony did some vocals. With a low background talking voice behind Jaimi's and then towards the end, building this up to a full on growl in the background of Jaimi's voice. It turned out quite good. And then, the last song. Started off VERY new, never heard it before, and I believe it was called 'Strive'. First original of the new line-up. But not completely, The song went through, very well, different style of metal form the old E106, but then changed into an old song 'Marz'. Not the whole song, just parts of it had been cut and pasted out into this new 'Strive'. SO overall, a good performance by the new E106. I enjoyed it. Turned out a lot better than I thought it was gonna be, and as you probably saw, it keeps the kids happy (the boys form New Faith fucking loved it it seemed).

Reflections on the night:

Aparaxia will be one to watch out for, especially that fuckign bassist.

HexPen should dry up the girl they made wet.

New Faith have quite alot of work to do.

Element106 sound different but not bad. We'll see what the older metal crew thinks of the new line-up on the 31st.

Cheers

Dave 'thurisaz'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by thurisaz:

Friday January 23rd, Kef

New Faith, Apraxia, Hexagonal Pensioners, Element 106

Well, I turned up right at the start of this gig, for reasons unknown to myself. In fact, if I remember correctly (which I do) I was the first person through the door. But well, it was fucking wet and cold, and I just wanted to hear some music really. I looked out of place in my Pig Destroyer shirt punk patch covered jacket, but fuck it. I also felt out of place, considering I'd be locked up if I touched any of the girls (or boys if I was that way inclined, which I am not) there.

This was the first gig Id been to in kef apart from the debut gig that was held hear during the GoNorth thing, with WBL and Alyssa's Wish etc. And anyway, just to throw something in to this review randomly, I preferred Lava.

So, after waiting for a wee while and having a few bottles of fish-guts (it was only 1.50) I headed downstairs to watch the first band. New Faith opened up the night. Now I'd seen this lot at what I think was their first ever gig, and they were bad. Two things they had going for them was that A. they had a song called Rape, Murder, Suicide, which was funny, and B. there were many many many jokes made about the singer sounding like a toad. Same line-up, and they opened with a verse and a chorus form Seek 'n' Destroy. Musically, it was tight, but the vocals were just, still toad-ish. As the night wore on, it became apparent that the only real thing this band had going for them was some guitarists that can play not too bad. After seeing them do a not too bad cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls (which is nothing too hard) they went onto Slayer's "Seasons in the Abyss" (or did they play Slayer before Metallica, hmm, canna mind). Anyway, the Slayer cover was BAD. Better than their last gig, but still BAD. Went off-time, missed out parts, played riffs wrong, eeeek, it was scary. Word of advice, stop playing that song. Other than that, with a few gigs and more originals as opposed to covers that they are incapable of playing, and when the guitarist stops thinking hes Kirk Hammet on stage at Wembley, New Faith could be a half decent Metal act (well, they might at least be better than Reap).

Back upstairs, more beer, downstairs again for the next band.

Apraxia, started off and it was clear that they were funk to the max. At this point I'm thinking somewhere between Red Hot Chili Peppers and Primus. The vocals were quite strange, but cool. Can't really say who they remind me of, cos the little fun I listen to, I forget about soon after. But its good. In the first song, its made apparent that they have a good bassist, and a good guitarist also, who pulls off a real nice solo. Now, before going into the second song, the bassist and drummer decided to have a little jam session. I think I saw the guitarist change the guitar, but I dunno, maybe the jam was just to show off. And they did, cos the bassist is fucking phenomenal! Anyway, the set wore on, and yes, the bassist and guitarist are both VERY good with their instruments, but the guitarist took over on vocals for one of the songs, and I didn't like that. The sound in the room really didn't compliment Apraxia's style of music, with the bass being too low and the vocals too high. But yeah, it wore on. and on. and on. Eventually it got boring with nothing to really add to the flavour, after watching these guys play around and prove they could play, it just got monotonous, with the songs sounding samey. And also, the drumming was very monotone as well. Even though I can understand that their is not much room for the drummer to explore with funk, still, he could have done something, he was capable of it, and he just looked like he needed to lighten up.

Anyway, if you're into funk, you'll like them, coos they are good, just a bit samey sounding for an entire set.

Next, Hexagonal Pensioners. Now I didn't know what to expect form this lot. All I know is they make some girl wet. And now that I have seen them, I can say they don't make me wet, or give me a hardon, nothing like that. Good guitarist, good bassist, decent drummer. Thats it. The music itself did nothing for me. You can solo, you can tap, and you can even go into off time beats and rhythms in places, yippee.

I can see why some people may like them, but I just dont. Funky stuff with a hint of lounge music (I dunno, I just thought of lounge music while listening) and vocals that remind me of Les Claypool.

Thats all.

Now, the headliners, my old band, Element 106. Now I've never done this, have to watch a band playing live that I used to be in. And I'll say it straight off, it was weird. I think the first thing that grabbed peoples attention when they walked on stage was either A.Hoggs weird wee green guitar or B. the glaring shine off Hoggs head. But I must get on with it. They opened with 'No-One, a heavy song. Tony started vocals, and it was a nice low toned growl. Different form what I used to do (no Jaimi, not a fucking Dani Filth rip-off!), but whatever; I wasnt coming along to see how well he impersonated me. But the song sounded the same as I remember it apart from the vox. Which is good. They then went straight into a slowed down one 'Over You Now' which I thought would be very interesting to hear what the new axe-man Hogg did for the solo (which, if you havent heard it, is a good solo composed by old guitarist, Ian). And the song ran through, sounding good, and the same as it used to, and then the time for the solo came. And emm, it was very quiet. From what I could hear, it was also very different, and seemed very random, but whatever, it wasn't dismal (which to be honest, I thought it was going to be). And so the set ran on, all the songs that were played sounding as they used to, apart form two. 'I Try', a much softer song in which Jaimi takes over on vocals with a very melodic voice, was different, cos while I used to go off stage and have a drink and a fag during this song, Tony did some vocals. With a low background talking voice behind Jaimi's and then towards the end, building this up to a full on growl in the background of Jaimi's voice. It turned out quite good. And then, the last song. Started off VERY new, never heard it before, and I believe it was called 'Strive'. First original of the new line-up. But not completely, The song went through, very well, different style of metal form the old E106, but then changed into an old song 'Marz'. Not the whole song, just parts of it had been cut and pasted out into this new 'Strive'. SO overall, a good performance by the new E106. I enjoyed it. Turned out a lot better than I thought it was gonna be, and as you probably saw, it keeps the kids happy (the boys form New Faith fucking loved it it seemed).

Reflections on the night:

Aparaxia will be one to watch out for, especially that fuckign bassist.

HexPen should dry up the girl they made wet.

New Faith have quite alot of work to do.

Element106 sound different but not bad. We'll see what the older metal crew thinks of the new line-up on the 31st.

Cheers

Dave 'thurisaz'

Not too bad a review, but still quite alot of misunderstandings, and un-necessarily harsh thoughts, especially towards New-Faith, whom actually did a really good job of the covers that they chose, but on the other hand were covers that seemed far beyond their technical capability's, fair enough, at least they tried -VERY HARD. I was still quite impressed.

The E106 review, now wasnt too bad as i thought you'd be really bitchy and ful of sour grapes, as you see we're doing so well without you, but a few points, Hog's over you now solo, represents nohing of what Ian played, it's a different part all together, and Marz was never a complete song, which we were never happy with. But this played a vital part in "strive", but as you rather unprofessionally put it "pasted together", it might have been noted that the part of marz was very different to the way it was played previously, AND THE TWO WERE SEEMLESLEY BLENDED TOGETHER without and noticable bridge!

A bit of Un-friendly bias toward E106, but it has to be expected really, you looked like you really wish you were still on the other side of the stage!! LOL!!

When is the next VOA gig anyway? :king:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Friday 23rd @ Kef

Originally posted by bostaph:

The E106 review, now wasnt too bad as i thought you'd be really bitchy and ful of sour grapes, as you see we're doing so well without you

A bit of Un-friendly bias toward E106, but it has to be expected really, you looked like you really wish you were still on the other side of the stage!! LOL!!

those two parts are shite.

Its nto a question of how well you're doing without me, I am just trying to look at you as a new band.

And I REALLY didn't want to be on the other side of the stage, trust me. Thats why I quit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Re: Friday 23rd @ Kef

Originally posted by thurisaz:

those two parts are shite.

Its nto a question of how well you're doing without me, I am just trying to look at you as a new band.

And I REALLY didn't want to be on the other side of the stage, trust me. Thats why I quit.

Shite?, typical Dave lowering the tone, need i say more, HA HA HA to you!

You've taken what i said all wrong, never mind, i know it was a fantastic gig, the crowd reaction was kinda a sure fire gurantee of that!

METAL!!:band:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I knew exactly what you meant.

Did I say it wasn;t a success.

"i thought you'd be really bitchy and ful of sour grapes, as you see we're doing so well without you"

by that it's clear you thought I'd be annoyed cos you're doing well since I left, as if I wanted you to do badly without me. Don't try and deny this, its exactly hows its read.

"you looked like you really wish you were still on the other side of the stage!! LOL!!"

by that you mean exactly what it says, you thought I wanted to be on stage and back with Element 106. Which, like I said I didn't, and don't.

So where have I taken what you said wrong?

I'm not lowering the tone, Im just taking what you said and clearing it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...