aberdeen-music

RFR Promotions Ltd Presents:

Ross

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah' date=' I noticed that & it sort of made me sway towards going to see them. I wouldn't mind a listen first though.[/quote']

Surely YOU are opened minded enough just to give it a go. I will if you will. Sometimes it's good to go to something not having heard it before.

Surely YOU are opened minded enough just to give it a go. I will if you will. Sometimes it's good to go to something not having heard it before.

To be honest I was a bit worried they'd end just being a bit too nu-metal or whatever the f*ck the genre is called nowadays. Going on the Moshulu booking policy I had my lingering doubts (apologies if I'm generalising here but I've not seen a gig yet here that i've been remotely interested in seeing). I'm pretty sure i'll be going though.

To be honest I was a bit worried they'd end just being a bit too nu-metal or whatever the f*ck the genre is called nowadays. Going on the Moshulu booking policy I had my lingering dounts (apologies if I'm generalising here but I've not seen a gig yet here that i've been remotely interested in seeing). I'm pretty sure i'll be going though.

Nah, you are just too old to go into Moshulu.

:nono:

To be honest I was a bit worried they'd end just being a bit too nu-metal or whatever the f*ck the genre is called nowadays. Going on the Moshulu booking policy I had my lingering dounts (apologies if I'm generalising here but I've not seen a gig yet here that i've been remotely interested in seeing). I'm pretty sure i'll be going though.

Not at all, their great, try and get a hold of Good Day or Girl Anachronism and i think you'll be suprised!

well' date=' you took your cousin in last week - good move telling him to be quiet as we last time I tried to go in the bouncers never let him up the stairs.

Actually, fair play to them when I think about it....[/quote']

Ronnie was in last week too. They were both a little 'relaxed'. The Jagermeister soon finished them off.

You'd probably actually enjoy a number of gigs that are on in Moshulu.

Ronnie was in last week too. They were both a little 'relaxed'. The Jagermeister soon finished them off.

You'd probably actually enjoy a number of gigs that are on in Moshulu.

They were both a little too relaxed to come out on Saturday afternoon golfing. Or is that hungover?

tell you what - there's a few gigs on at The Tunnels i'll drag you along to & you can try to persuade me to come to some of the Moshulu gigs.

To be honest I was a bit worried they'd end just being a bit too nu-metal or whatever the f*ck the genre is called nowadays. Going on the Moshulu booking policy I had my lingering doubts (apologies if I'm generalising here but I've not seen a gig yet here that i've been remotely interested in seeing). I'm pretty sure i'll be going though.

*giggles*

.....sorry .......not really laughing at you..........but someone percieving the Dresden Dolls to potentially Nu-Metal is kinnda funny :D tho i suppose i do get how you may have stumbled across the misperception

Moshulu does not have a bookings policy.

Fortunately.

To date no "Nu-Metal" bands have played Moshulu.

Like I said, I was generalising & my tongue was firmly in my cheek as I wrote that. I don't read Kerrang! or Metal Hammer so I haven't a clue what half of these bands classify themselves as. In fact, the laughable sub-genrefication of Metal would provide an interesting thread some time. I was merely commentating of what I see as the sort of bands that play moshulu - fairly limited in their scope, I'd say as most seem to be of the standard drums, guitar, bass,vocals variety & there doesn't seem to be much in the way of hip hop, electronic, avant garde or tibetian folk music for that matter.

Still, nothing wrong with that - it's a business & it needs to attract a crowd.

They were both a little too relaxed to come out on Saturday afternoon golfing. Or is that hungover?

tell you what - there's a few gigs on at The Tunnels i'll drag you along to & you can try to persuade me to come to some of the Moshulu gigs.

Fair enough, i'm always happy to check out new bands!

Like I said' date=' I was generalising & my tongue was firmly in my cheek as I wrote that. I don't read Kerrang! or Metal Hammer so I haven't a clue what half of these bands classify themselves as. In fact, the laughable sub-genrefication of Metal would provide an interesting thread some time. I was merely commentating of what I see as the sort of bands that play moshulu - fairly limited in their scope, I'd say as most seem to be of the standard drums, guitar, bass,vocals variety & there doesn't seem to be much in the way of hip hop, electronic, avant garde or tibetian folk music for that matter.

Still, nothing wrong with that - it's a business & it needs to attract a crowd.[/quote']

I don't know like, i'd say The Damned > The Cribs > Therapy? > The Dresden Dolls > The Bluetones > Vanilla Ice > Ian Hunter is as diverse as any other venue in Aberdeen, barring the tunnels maybe.

I don't know like' date=' i'd say The Damned > The Cribs > Therapy? > The Dresden Dolls > The Bluetones > Vanilla Ice > Ian Hunter is as diverse as any other venue in Aberdeen, barring the tunnels maybe.[/quote']

There's still a recurring theme of white guys with guitars - barring Dresden Dolls and, God help us - Vanilla Ice.

The Lemon Tree seems to be more diverse overall.

At the end of the day, I've got to concede that Moshulu's gigs are a million times better than anything appearing at 90% of the venues in town. I'd just be happier to see more diverse & varied acts - maybe that's down to personal preferences on my part though.

I`d prefer a more varied lineup also but sadly people need to be paid and live music really doesn`t make a venue a lot of money. You can loose a shit load of cash in only a few days. The Lemon Tree's lineups are very varied but they did loose 180,000 or so the other year.

Also... we are in ABERDEEN... a small fishing town situated a million miles from anywhere. It costs bands a fair bit extra to travel when part of a large scale production etc so you have to pay through the nose for them. And then you have the smaller population and narrower geral music taste to contend with. Some people would argue that it isn`t really worth it in the end.

I`d prefer a more varied lineup also but sadly people need to be paid and live music really doesn`t make a venue a lot of money. You can loose a shit load of cash in only a few days. The Lemon Tree's lineups are very varied but they did loose 180' date='000 or so the other year.

Also... we are in ABERDEEN... a small fishing town situated a million miles from anywhere. It costs bands a fair bit extra to travel when part of a large scale production etc so you have to pay through the nose for them. And then you have the smaller population and narrower geral music taste to contend with. Some people would argue that it isn`t really worth it in the end.[/quote']

I did think that cost & distance would be an issue. However, to spend a lot of money on a band like Europe then only get 200-odd people through the door& charge them through the nose for the "honour" seems to fly in the face of your point somewhat. Surely there are touring bands out there that would get more people than this? Personally, I think the further that these superannuated 80s hair metallers & their ilk stay from Aberdeen then the better.

I'm not sure if the "small fishing town" argument is valid or not - we are resident in the third most populated city in Scotland after all. The answer to this is to put on bands that would attract people from Inverness, Dundee & all points in between. The question is how do we achieve this?

I'd hate to think that apathy gets the better of us all, though. There wil always be people who think it isn't worth it but surely venues & promoters need to try. If it wasn't for them then no bands would be here at all & I've got to thank you at least for that.

My next tatoo:

"BOOKING AGENTS SET THE TICKET PRICE FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF SHOWS NOT THE PROMOTERS!"

Does the venue have any say on this at all? Do you have to provide set fees for the artist?

Seriously, 18 quid for EUROPE!!!!!! What were you thinking??????

I'm liking this thread - it's proving to be quite enlightening.