aberdeen-music

Custom Shop Gibson

Neill

Guest DustyDeviada

How do you get an approx. value for one (secondhand)?

Just as there is a huge diference in the price range of the non custom shop Gibsons, there is a huge difference in the custom shop ones. For example, and 1960 Reissue junior is ging to be worth a lot less than a flametop 1959 reissue.

Can you give us any more details of the guitar in question (model, year condition etc)?

Just as there is a huge diference in the price range of the non custom shop Gibsons' date=' there is a huge difference in the custom shop ones. For example, and 1960 Reissue junior is ging to be worth a lot less than a flametop 1959 reissue.

Can you give us any more details of the guitar in question (model, year condition etc)?[/quote']

It's Les Paul (Standard I'd guess). It's cherry red. No scratch guard. (6 strings, two pick ups, blah, blah). And a shockingly bad hard case. No nothing about the neck type/humbucker type (I did tell you I was ignorant :) ). Might be flame top I really wouldn't know.

It's got Custom Shop stamped on the back of the headstock. And a serial number.

Condition is pretty damn good (nothing obviously anyways).

No idea the model, year, etc. And neither has the owner!

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, it's not a standard, as you don't get custom shop standards (unless you class the 59 reissues as standards).

So unless it's an older model, it'll would probably be either a class 5

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/class5quilt/Class5QuiltTop.html

Or a custom

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/lpcustom/LPCustom.html

The main cosmetic differences are the inlays - as you will see the custom has "block" inlays and a fancy inlay on the headstock, whereas the class 5 has standard "trapezoid" inlays.

If you get me the serial number I can tell you the age anyway. In any case, a custom shop LP is probably worth at least 1300, but that's just off the top of my head.

So unless it's an older model' date=' it'll would probably be either a class 5

[url']http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/lespauls/class5quilt/Class5QuiltTop.html

If you get me the serial number I can tell you the age anyway. In any case, a custom shop LP is probably worth at least 1300, but that's just off the top of my head.

Well it's definitely not a custom. It's pretty much looks like the Class 5 but the body is not sunburst (but is has what I would describe as zebra stripes).

serial number CS11162.

No certificate or care set, case doesn't even say Gibson (or that I can see)

Guest DustyDeviada

Very cool, I will be picking up a P90 Les Paul when I go to the states in the summer. I almost bought one of those, but I didn't like the satin finish.

Well, it's not a standard, as you don't get custom shop standards (unless you class the 59 reissues as standards).

Yeah you do. My Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition in Manhattan Midnight Fade is Custom Shop. Very few Standard models ever have been Custom Shop, but there are such things, other than the 59 reissue that is.

Very cool' date=' I will be picking up a P90 Les Paul when I go to the states in the summer. I almost bought one of those, but I didn't like the satin finish.[/quote']

P90's really are the dogs bollocks!! I think my ideal guitar (if money was no object) would probably be a 1954 Custom Shop Goldtop Les Paul with wraparound bridge and P90's. Unfortunately I think my guitar actually has P100's which are like humbucking single coils (I think theres a dummy coil wired into them with inverted phase). Still seems to be just as noisy as my strat when theres electronics around, so they're maybe not as bad.... they sound fucking great though, at full volume its a crushin sound, roll off the volume and it gets more bite...really small amount of volume and its a really raw sound....awesome guitars!!!

Guest DustyDeviada
Yeah you do. My Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition in Manhattan Midnight Fade is Custom Shop. Very few Standard models ever have been Custom Shop' date=' but there are such things, other than the 59 reissue that is.[/quote']

I stand corrected!

Keilan, just to annoy you, my guitar that I will be getting in July is actually a 1954 Reissue from the Custom Shop, albeit not a gold top - it's a limited edition flame top version. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Neill, seems a bit strange that your "friend" would have a guitar like that without knowing anything about it. Is it nicked or something? ;)

Keilan' date=' just to annoy you, my guitar that I will be getting in July is actually a 1954 Reissue from the Custom Shop, albeit not a gold top - it's a limited edition flame top version. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

QUOTE']

;( ;(

Hehe......mind you, not a fan of flame tops though, so you're welcome to it :D P90's or PAF?

2nd best to that goldtop would be a Black Beauty....thats my list for when I win this lotto thing :)

Guest DustyDeviada

P90s, as you will see from this pic that the guitar shop in the states sent me. Already have humbuckers in my LP standard and Gretsch. I had an LP with P100s a couple of years ago but I didn't really get on with them, so I sold it to Jamesy from My Mind's Weapon. Seems he didn't like them either, as I notice he's replaced one of them with an EMG humbucker!

R4_flametop.jpg

Neill' date=' seems a bit strange that your "friend" would have a guitar like that without knowing anything about it. Is it nicked or something? ;)[/quote']

You don't know my friend!

It's definitely NOT nicked. I know where, how and why he got it. And what's more what he paid for it...