aberdeen-music

Sigur Ros

flyingsinatra

sigur ros are to play glasgow carling academy this July, i think i might be in america for this one which is so sad as they are perhaps one of if not my favorite bands, anyhoo just thought i'd let you guys know.....even if i can't go :down:

This thread might have been beter placed in all music discussion, but ah well, what do u do....

anyone think it started to go wrong from the ( ) album.. onwards.... anyone...? *puts hand up*

I'd agree with that. gtis Byrjun was a fantastic album' date=' [i']() was slightly poorer, and Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do was very disappointing indeed. I haven't heard Von yet, so I'm unable to comment on it. I can't really decide just why they've been getting progressively poorer with each release, but it seems to be a pattern they're following now, and it is a real shame. Perhaps they'll improve, perhaps not.

I'd agree with that. gtis Byrjun was a fantastic album' date=' [i']() was slightly poorer, and Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do was very disappointing indeed. I haven't heard Von yet, so I'm unable to comment on it. I can't really decide just why they've been getting progressively poorer with each release, but it seems to be a pattern they're following now, and it is a real shame. Perhaps they'll improve, perhaps not.

Von was very average indeed, there is perhaps 2 songs i'm into on that cd. Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do was also pretty poor, but i still think ( ) is an excellent album. It has a fantastic flow to it, something that gtis Byrjun lacks. As the band themselves state, in ( ) there is a big gap of silence, this is to separate the quite first half of the album, from the loud 2nd half. Each song flows nicely into one another. On gtis Byrjun, each song fits quite awkwardly next to its predecessor, which in some cases can be a good thing, but with Sigur Ros the flow works better. They are a band that you can drift off to, and that is why ( ) works better in my eyes (and ears).

Note: gtis Byrjun is still a phenomenal album, i just feel that ( ) is not a step backward and am defending its corner

nice to see so many sigur ros fans on here' date=' i'm tired of all the threads on shitty emo or metal.......also if u like sigur ros check out " Mum" they are excellent.[/quote']

Mum are brilliant, and I'd also recommend Gregor Samsa or Stafraenn Hakon.

So tempted by Sigur Ros, NIN's the night before too... Two nights in Glasgow, but will I still have any hearing left aft NIN?

Mum are brilliant' date=' and I'd also recommend Gregor Samsa or Stafraenn Hakon.

So tempted by Sigur Ros, NIN's the night before too... Two nights in Glasgow, but will I still have any hearing left aft NIN?[/quote']

Mm are a bit of a Sigur Rs: their first album on Fat CatFinally We Are No Onewas phenomenal, and remains perhaps the prettiest, most heartbreaking album I own. The follow-up, Summer Make Good, was good, but massively disappointing. Perhaps I'm the only one who felt this, but, having discovered Mm by way of a random CD purchase the year before, I was quite excited about their new album, but it turned out to be a disappointment.

Stafrnn Hkon is extremely good, from what I've heard, though I've only listened to Ventil / Poki, so can't comment on anything other than that. Hopefully his other albums don't follow the trend set by his fellow countrymen...

Mm are a bit of a Sigur Rs: their first album on Fat CatFinally We Are No Onewas phenomenal' date=' and remains perhaps the prettiest, most heartbreaking album I own. The follow-up, [i']Summer Make Good, was good, but massively disappointing. Perhaps I'm the only one who felt this, but, having discovered Mm by way of a random CD purchase the year before, I was quite excited about their new album, but it turned out to be a disappointment.

Stafrnn Hkon is extremely good, from what I've heard, though I've only listened to Ventil / Poki, so can't comment on anything other than that. Hopefully his other albums don't follow the trend set by his fellow countrymen...

I found the second Mm album to be a lot darker, which I wasn't really looking for to be honest - The first album I'd agree is a beautiful little toybox of an album. Stafrnn Hkon's Ventil / Poki album is the most recent, and seems closer to Sigur Rs than the previous albums. The earlier albums are well worth checking out, but to my ears Ventil / Poki has much more form and substance.

I'd recommend having a listen to Psapp if you're a fan of Mm, reminds me a lot of the playful glee that shone through on Finally We Are No One.

just bought my ticket for glasgow, and after an hour of translating a german booking site, i have my ticket for Berlin too.

I read (badly translated) on this german site that ANIMAMINA are supporting, now i thought that was the string section of sigur ros, i could be wrong. i'm pretty sure they've released material of their own. maybe they mean Sigur Ros with ANIMAMINA playing with them, not supporting.

I found the second Mm album to be a lot darker' date=' which I wasn't really looking for to be honest - The first album I'd agree is a beautiful little toybox of an album. Stafrnn Hkon's Ventil / Poki album is the most recent, and seems closer to Sigur Rs than the previous albums. The earlier albums are well worth checking out, but to my ears Ventil / Poki has much more form and substance.

I'd recommend having a listen to Psapp if you're a fan of Mm, reminds me a lot of the playful glee that shone through on Finally We Are No One.[/quote']

I think that was probably my problem with Summer Make Goodit was a good album, but it wasn't really what I wanted. I have enough music with a dark edge in my collection, and I was hoping for more music-box prettiness with the album, and didn't really get it. Had it been my first Mm album, I think I would probably have loved it.

Stafrnn Hkon was recommended to me by a pretty young lady working in One-Up when she saw me buying Mm's Duck Log EP, and I am very grateful for the introduction. The name "Psaap" does ring a bell, but I don't think I've heard anything by them, but this will be added to my ever-growing list of things to track down.

Oh, and in answer to your previous question, I suspect your hearing will be impaired for at least a week after Mr Reznor has had his way with you.

Aw baws' date=' Sigur Ros better be at least a pretty band to stand and watch...[/quote']

i dont think i could stand and watch sigur ros actually, they do kind of 'rock out' at times like say the end of the ( ) album... but i'd have to sit or ly down somewhere especially for the nothing song...

can i just add how bad the recording of the 'nothing song' is on the ( ) album... it completely loses its abience/serenity compared to the live performance

as far as favourite songs go 'Virar Vel Til Loftrasa' is probably the best song i've ever heard, might have listened to it quite a few times now, but its whole structure is just so damn good. love it.