aberdeen-music

Porcupine Tree + Anathema

anyone else see this gig last night in glasgow?

i thought it was fantastic but anathema should have gotten more than half an hour set time :swearing:

the best thing about prog gigs is the 50 year old Pink Floyd fans "moshing" :band:

I thought about going down, I can't stand Porcupine Tree, Steve Wilson is a major twat, hiowever a friend of mine (and the nicest guy in music) John Wesley plays touring guitar for them. Wes is a brilliant guy and a great guitarist. I would have went down, cash permitting, to see him, real shame he didnt have his solo set supporting them.

Cheers

Stuart

I thought about going down' date=' I can't stand Porcupine Tree, Steve Wilson is a major twat, hiowever a friend of mine (and the nicest guy in music) John Wesley plays touring guitar for them. Wes is a brilliant guy and a great guitarist. I would have went down, cash permitting, to see him, real shame he didnt have his solo set supporting them.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

yeah Wes is a fantastic guitarist, and looks exactly like Tony Iommi :D

yeah Wes is a fantastic guitarist' date=' and looks exactly like Tony Iommi :D[/quote']

Nah, Wes is Jesus ;)

Wes was Fish's ex guitarist, I remember one drunken night in Haddington when Fish was playing there when the whole pub erupted in cries of 'Who let the Wes out' Wes looked very scared ;), Wes also got his first UK dates supporting Marillion who he guitar tech'd for in 94. His solo stuff is absolutely superb, I have all his solo albums and most of the live bootlkegs.

url:rtsp://www.john-wesley.com:554/chasingmonsters/04.rm - velvet dreams

New Wes album out via Racket in the next few weeks :)

Cheers

Stuart

Jealousy Mr Hog' date=' want me to ask Wes if you can have a guitar lesson ;)

You were meant to text me today baldy

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

get him to tell steve wilson not to bother talking inbetween songs, its only a matter of time before he starts to sound like a moody english teacher when the crowd shout too many things at him

get him to tell steve wilson not to bother talking inbetween songs' date=' its only a matter of time before he starts to sound like a moody english teacher when the crowd shout too many things at him[/quote']

Steve Wilson is a twat :p

I remember when the porkies played the Lemon Tree in 97, I thought he was a really bad frontman and he just isnt good with the crowd at all. He's very arrogant,one of the reasons I've not been bothered to see PT since. Mind you some of that attitude PT probably learned when they supported Marillion as its similar to Hogarths annoying stage persona.

Cheers

Stuart

I love Porcupine Tree. Would've really liked to go to this gig but things didn't work out. Bugger. How were PT anyway? They play mainly stuff from their most recent album?

Haven't seen them live' date=' so dont know about Steve Wilson being a twat. I can imagine it though, with his voice...[/quote']

they were really good,

they played a lot off the new album, 3 tracks from In Absentia and a lot of the older stuff

Guest Zeenat Aman

I saw PT at the Lemon Tree, round about 1997/98?

The music did nothing for me I'm afraid, cold and sterile. All the black t-shirt clad 30 somethings seemed to love it though.

I saw PT at the Lemon Tree' date=' round about 1997/98?

The music did nothing for me I'm afraid, cold and sterile. All the black t-shirt clad 30 somethings seemed to love it though.[/quote']

Totally agree Phillip, it was 97, the same year Wilson destroyed Fish's 'Sunsets on Empire'. I also feel that PT are very sterile, I've never understood peoples fascination with them.

Cheers

Stuart

MY favourite of their albums is Signify (from what i've heard of them so far). I really don't hear it as sterile at all. It's really refreshing for me to hear some modern day prog rock. The track "Idiot's Prayer" (i think) is just totally awesome, and theres really nothing sterile abou it.

They do have the occassional let down of a track, i admit, and theres something about the lead guitar sound which is a bit off for me. Not sure what it is yet.

But I think your being fairly harsh about them though. They are an original sounding band imho. You have to give them that - Steve Wilsons personality aside.

MY favourite of their albums is Signify (from what i've heard of them so far). I really don't hear it as sterile at all. It's really refreshing for me to hear some modern day prog rock. The track "Idiot's Prayer" (i think) is just totally awesome' date=' and theres really nothing sterile abou it.

They do have the occassional let down of a track, i admit, and theres something about the lead guitar sound which is a bit off for me. Not sure what it is yet.

But I think your being fairly harsh about them though. They are an original sounding band imho. You have to give them that - Steve Wilsons personality aside.[/quote']

See I dont think they are that original soundwise, they're just truing to do Pink Floyd style stuff mixed with the occasional interesting beat. I think PT sound very, very retro, you have to remember Richard Barbeiri from Japan is the other creative force behind PT so you're finding its a mix of Floyd and Japan. I've never ever managed to get into PT i've tried to find something interesting about them, but nope, i do think it very sterile, its something about the way Wilson plays guitar (the Fish album he plays guitar on suffersfrom the same sterility), I was hoping that he might leave some more guitar work on the album to Wes in order to try and give it more life.

Cheers

Stuart

See I dont think they are that original soundwise' date=' they're just truing to do Pink Floyd style stuff mixed with the occasional interesting beat. I think PT sound very, very retro, you have to remember Richard Barbeiri from Japan is the other creative force behind PT so you're finding its a mix of Floyd and Japan. I've never ever managed to get into PT i've tried to find something interesting about them, but nope, i do think it very sterile, its something about the way Wilson plays guitar (the Fish album he plays guitar on suffersfrom the same sterility), I was hoping that he might leave some more guitar work on the album to Wes in order to try and give it more life.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Maybe its the Pink Floyd aspect of PT that appeals to me so much. On "Absentia" i do notice a lot of Tool style songs also...

Sometimes, i have to say, Wilson's singing isnt particularly great either, though i do actually like his guitar playing, just not so keen on his guitar tone.

He maybe overdoes the wah a bit at times.

However, i'm a big fan of middle-eastern - esq songs with a modern touch, and Porcupine Tree do that pretty excellently for me.

Tho Steve Hillage does it far better! :rockon:

See I dont think they are that original soundwise' date=' they're just truing to do Pink Floyd style stuff mixed with the occasional interesting beat. I think PT sound very, very retro, you have to remember Richard Barbeiri from Japan is the other creative force behind PT so you're finding its a mix of Floyd and Japan. I've never ever managed to get into PT i've tried to find something interesting about them, but nope, i do think it very sterile, its something about the way Wilson plays guitar (the Fish album he plays guitar on suffersfrom the same sterility), I was hoping that he might leave some more guitar work on the album to Wes in order to try and give it more life.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

the past two albums havn't had the floyd style at all. and i think he is a fantastic producer (made a fantastic job of opeth's last three albums)

the past two albums havn't had the floyd style at all. and i think he is a fantastic producer (made a fantastic job of opeth's last three albums)

I've never heard Opeth but his production work on Fish's stuff and Marillion's stuff is the worst production those bands have ever had. I wouldnt let him near anything if i was choosing a producer.

On another note it was good tat Anathema didnt turn up witht he string quarttet they broaght when they supported steve Wilsons Blackfield poject, I was hearing some funny stories about them, their idea of an unplugged gig is to play sitting down apparently.

Cheers

Stuart