aberdeen-music

Guitar Respray

Munky_Rules

I wanted to try and change one of my red basses colour to sparkle red ( i know not really much of a change there) so i approached the music shops and they told theywould not be able to do it and that they dont know who coul. So i was thinking i have a friend who works in a garage and he told me that if i could get the paint he would use the machines there but i'm unsure of weather thi will work or not.

Does anyone know anything about changing the colour on guitars or have any opinions about using car equipment for a respray?

Guest MarkJDelaney

Remove everything from the body and head that's not to be coloured, rub it down and spray it. It's not hard. If you want a really good finish get yourself, or rent, a little compressor to spray it with the colour and the laquer.

Remove everything from the body and head that's not to be coloured' date=' rub it down and spray it. It's not hard. If you want a really good finish get yourself, or rent, a little compressor to spray it with the colour and the laquer.[/quote']

Yeah was thinking that but where to get glittery paint or paint to make that effect.......hmm

if you want a professional looking finish...DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF!

seriously...you will regret it.

i got a couple of dents patched professionally in glasgow and even they made an arse of it...the paint doesnt match the original colour and its coming off already.

Howere i heard there is a better shop in glasgow called Guitar Guitar who are good for this sort of thing.

iain

Guest MarkJDelaney

If you have some practice before hand, spraying an area the size of a guitar is not hard. Conditions around you have to be right though, ie. as dust free as possible, warm and wind free.

For the glitter paint, this sounds quite crude, but it IS as simple as having paint flakes mixed in with the red (or desired colour)

Guest DustyDeviada

I know a luthier and although I haven't had him respray any of my guitars, I have seen others that he has worked on.

He is based in Mannofield. PM me if you want his contact details, although I should point out that he is not particularly cheap.

ok i'll add my experience for you customisers like meself!

I recently resprayed my Warlock to a metallic blue with silver edges and it was much easier than you would think - it does, however, require some skill and knowledge.

Firstly, you must totally dismantle the guitar, that means knobs, pickups, bridge, neck, tuners, everything until you are looking at just the wooden body and no more.

Then you must sand off the clear laquer, paint and any undercoating there may be - do this until you are down to the bare wood.

Then use grain filler (NOT wood filler) to create a smooth surface to paint on. I used halfords car paints primers and clear laquer... Primer first, then paint coats then finally laquer.

YOu must do a lot of light sanding with fine grit paper in between laquer coats to get a smooth finish.

You then must leave it to dry and reassemble/set up the guitar! all done.

I also added 3 blue LED spotlights to the points of the warlock for fretboard and pickup illumination ;) it's pretty wicked.

The best thing you can do is take it to a car body shop and get them to do it though...if I were to do it again I would do everything up until the clear coats myself - then get it clear coated professionally at an auto shop, it is almost impossible for a home DIYer to get a professional clear finish (like glass) on a guitar unless you are a pro with expensive kit such as airbrushes.

Check out www.projectguitar.com for everything you could ever need to know!!

-Doc