aberdeen-music

so... the new Doctor Who...

Steve-O

I find it hard to judge Doctor Who. I mean, I desperately desperately desperately want it to be brilliant. I want it to cast all my doubts aside, I want to love it in a BIG way.

But one thing worries me... the BBC. They're shite at making genre shows, I mean, truly truly terrible.

Jerry Anderson's Space Precinct anyone? And what about that BIG Sci-Fi show they did that was about an Alien invasion of Earth? I mean, it just came across as the kind of Sci-Fi someone who'd never read Sci-Fi would write. It was bollocks. I can't remember who was in it or what it was called but it had a "big budget" and a really annoying Scottish woman in it.

Another thing that worries me is that Russell Davies hasn't written a single episode that isn't set on Earth because he isn't interested in "the planet Zog". I mean, really, for a series like Dr Who to have any credibility it has to go places other than Earth.

I mean, Dr Who can go anywhere in any Universerve in any space (meaning the Tardis can actually shrink or expand and the Dr with it) and in any time.

Are you telling me that the most interesting place in the entire Universe in any time is London in 2005? Give me a fucking break! (Yes, I know the Rose chracter is a plot device and our eyes and ears)

Things that were good:

1. Photos of the Dr in past timelines, JFK (Always an angle for Americans) and stuff. It'd be cool if something more was done with that, like he saw a photo in another episode and said something like "I haven't been there yet" and that led into a story.

2. The idea that the Dr possibly has something to do with the problems on the Alien planet of Nestene entity. I mean, it'd be cool if the Dr wasn't quite as "good" depending on your perspective.

3. It's British (But that can also be a bad thing, we'll see)

4. The series shows promise.

5. The next episode is set 5 billion years in the future which shows ambition.

6. It's BACK bitches!

I'd like to see:

1. More stuff about the Time Lords, exploring the idea of who they are and how their power is held in check and balanced out. Never been explored enough on screen as far as I remember.

2. A real attempt to stretch the format of the show

3. A succesful run of shows so more are made with a higher budget.

some decent points there bob' date=' i actually like a lot of it being set in 2005 london, adds a new twist to the legacy, i always felt the old dr who didnt frequent planet earth nearly enough![/quote']

Ah yes but most of the planets were very earth like or quarry like. It has certainly made me rediscover my liking for dr who, watched, Dr who and the loch ness monster and Rememberance of the Daleks, I though Eccleston was a great mix of Davison and McCoy who were actually my 2 favourites, get rid of Colin Baker tho ;) I met McCoy in a pub in Edinburgh, top bloke, used to holiday in maryculter as a child.

Enemies i'dlike to see:

I'm with Delon a new cyberman

Daleks

Yeti

Now I just need to hope they'll realsie scifi could be profitable because theres talk of a new series of Blakes 7.

Oh yeah not all UK scifi isbad, Sky in the UK co-financed the new battlestar galactica and it rocked.

Cheers

Stuart

i deffo prefer tom baker or jon pertwee, i though McCoy played the doctor well but he had to put up with some terrible scripts and the show seemed to have run out of ideas by then - i wish he's have replaced tom baker though didnt mind peter davidson even if he was a bit public schoolboy like!

Guest tv tanned
I would agree that it was much better than expected. After the pitiful Sylvester Mccoy era they needed a doctor with a unique personality and Christopher Ecclestone seems to fit perfectly. He is ecentric without being cheesy' date=' and for my money Billie Piper is a vast improvement on Bonnie Langford and that other one that Mccoy had (I think her name was Ace or something).

The story was amusing and tongue in cheek, yet I think it had the right amount of scary moments for younger viewers. The dummies were freaky and I agree the bin 'eating' was very amusing.

Much better than the 'Americanised' film that they made as well.[/quote']

kandyman.jpg

Kandyman says:

"What was wrong with the McCoy era y'bastard?"

kandyman.jpg

Kandyman says:

"What was wrong with the McCoy era y'bastard?"

ROTFL

Did you know that Bassets tried to sue the BBC for that episode because of Kandymans liking to a certain product of theirs? LOL

And I liked Silvestor McCoy, if the BBC hadn't let the show degenerate (ie advertised and had it on its original saturday slot), McCoy could have developed his character more, I always liked the way McCoys Doctor would manipulate the events around him to his needs.

Martin C x

As one of the very few folks here who watched Dr Who from the start, with william Hartnell (although I gave up after Tom Baker), I thought it was pretty good. My own jury is still out on Christopher Ecclestone though...I'd have preferred Bill Nighy or Alan Rickman, but it could have been a LOT worse, so I'll definitely watch the other episodes. :up:

Guest tv tanned

I think they missed an opportunity for nostalgia at the beginning.

I have The Five Doctors on video, and it begins with a Hartnell monologue saying:

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until that day, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

I think that would have made an ace start to the show, but then what do I know?

some decent points there bob' date=' i actually like a lot of it being set in 2005 london, adds a new twist to the legacy, i always felt the old dr who didnt frequent planet earth nearly enough![/quote']

The first episode had to be set in 2005 though, I mean, we have to remember that Doctor Who is pretty much aimed at 8 year olds who have no concept of the programmes premise other than what they've maybe been told by their parents.

So setting it in the present day was a no brainer really.

I've thought of another thing that would be good (if done properly):

A future episode in which the Paul McGann Doctor falls into grave danger and it happens that Chris Eccleston comes to his assitance... but can do nothing to save him. He could be the first Doctor to watch himself regenerate into his present self.

Haha.

That made no sense, but hey... they should at some point try to put that regeneration on film.

I think they've got every other one.

Guest tv tanned
The first episode had to be set in 2005 though' date=' I mean, we have to remember that Doctor Who is pretty much aimed at 8 year olds who have no concept of the programmes premise other than what they've maybe been told by their parents.

So setting it in the present day was a no brainer really.

I've thought of another thing that would be good (if done properly):

A future episode in which the Paul McGann Doctor falls into grave danger and it happens that Chris Eccleston comes to his assitance... but can do nothing to save him. He could be the first Doctor to watch himself regenerate into his present self.

Haha.

That made no sense, but hey... they should at some point try to put that regeneration on film.

I think they've got every other one.[/quote']

Colin Baker refused to do a regeneration, because he was pissed off about being given the dunt, so his regeneration scene was actually McCoy dressed as Baker (complete with curly wig) lying face down.

Colin Baker refused to do a regeneration' date=' because he was pissed off about being given the dunt, so his regeneration scene was actually McCoy dressed as Baker (complete with curly wig) lying face down.[/quote']

Yeah, I knew that.

(Oh dear)

I've just had another ace idea for an episode in which the Doctor visits a rock quarry. I don't know what happens from there, but he should visit a rock quarry at some point.

"Ah yes Rose, it may only look like a rock quarry, but you'd be surprised how many alien worlds look like rock quarries."

Guest Zeenat Aman
"One day' date=' I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until that day, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."[/quote']

The words of Dr Drake?

You've hit on something there, Philip!!! I can imagine a " Dr. Drake" film, with Jim Ewen as the Doctor, obviously, and Sharon as his assistant, natch. They could be moving through space and time, but only within the confines of Aberdeenshire, and only since 1960.

I can envisage an ace episode where they go back in time to save Aberdeen Music by preventing the births of *insert least favourite Aberdeen band here*, by stopping parents meeting, providing contraceptives etc Another episode could have them saving one of the Beatles (played by the Bily Shears Band of course), from an early grave on their tour with Johnny Gentle. Another might see them off in the future to help Hog's little son, Hog Jr achieve his ambition of winning the local Universe heat of the Battle of the Bands.

Any ideas what their version of the Tardis would be? (whatever it is it'd need to be renamed the 'Tarves') :ding: