aberdeen-music

We're back (And bigger than ever)

The Milner

Guest stuartmaxwell
the vocals when they're on in general should be the loudest instrument and the highest in the mix' date='

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

utter bollocks!

Care to give a quick explanation of this trick?

Basically' date=' he patches the impulse generated by the hit of the snare drum through a MIDI unit (which converts the audio into MIDI data), then overdubs what's produced on to a new track. He'll then use this MIDI information through a sampling unit (I assume you understand how MIDI works) - and the controls that are written to the track will define what kind of sample is played (in terms of velocity / loudness etc.). He can then record the output of the sampler into [b']another track, and either mix it with the real snare drum or just replace it altogether.

Mixing? I always like it 4 ways (kinky) nobody out shining the others, although perhaps vocals very slightly up in the mix but not much at all.

Out of interest why is it the snare which is midi triggered. A lot of bands lose the sound in the bass drum and trigger that instead (Fear Factory a good example) however of course, You guys are not a metal band, so dunno.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Are you stupid?

Thanks Gumpy :cheers:

Hog... Lets be general here!

Song: Music with a lyric and vocal

Instrumental: Music with no lyric, but maybe with wordless vocals(ie: ooh's, ahh's etc)

Hmmm then again, what about an instrumental with a narration!? Or what if someone sings solo but with no words!?

:stupid::D

Hmmmmm!

Hog... Lets be general here!

Song: Music with a lyric and vocal

Instrumental: Music with no lyric' date=' but maybe with wordless vocals(ie: ooh's, ahh's etc)

Hmmm then again, what about an instrumental with a narration!? Or what if someone sings solo but with no words!?

:stupid::D

Hmmmmm![/quote']

Well, a song is music made for singing, but nobody is forcing the said person to sing :D

Mixing? I always like it 4 ways (kinky) nobody out shining the others' date=' although perhaps vocals very slightly up in the mix but not much at all.

Out of interest why is it the snare which is midi triggered. A lot of bands lose the sound in the bass drum and trigger that instead (Fear Factory a good example) however of course, You guys are not a metal band, so dunno.[/quote']

it just sounded better with the song we thought. it gave it more of a poppy kind of sound i think which was cool with us, we also triggered the kick drum as well and blended it with mine but thats not so obvious.

Cheers for all the feedback guys so far i havent lost any scene points on this thread.....haha waits for it.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Because it's the only American accent I can do.

Heh, good reply...

It does sound american-ish(Yes, blink:P), but I doubt the track would work so well with an unadulterated aberdonian vocal!

!

Why WHY WHY must you sing with that ridiculous American accent? It totally ruined what I otherwise considered a good song. Nice guitar riff.

It's his voice. It's not like he sets out with the mindset of 'Fuck, have to try and sound like I'm from America!'...

Guest Tam o' Shantie

if you know how to record and process vocals properly then you don't need to simply make them louder in the mix. a good engineer knows the difference between 'loudness' and 'prominence'.