aberdeen-music

sustain pedal?

RF Scott

Originally posted by Frostilicus:

Yeah, that wouldn't work at all..

The E-Bow relies on the interaction between the metal strings and the pickups on the guitar.

why do they work on acoustics then?

all the ebow does is vibrate the string i think.

i've seen people use them on acoustic guitars and mandolins etc. cant see why it wouldn't work on a piano.

Originally posted by Ally Boss Koala:

why do they work on acoustics then?

all the ebow does is vibrate the string i think.

i've seen people use them on acoustic guitars and mandolins etc. cant see why it wouldn't work on a piano.

E-Bows work by changing the polarity in the magnit thus vibrating the steel string. They will work on any string instrument as long as the instrument has steel strings.

Originally posted by soundian:

Mmm, balanced guitar cables. I assume you've got a guitar amp with a balanced input on it to put it through.

No, but in that case I use a normal cable. However, when I'm strapped for space, I don't take an amp. Instead I have a rack mounted box containing the pre amp stage of a Fender Club twin and the guts of an SM57. The outputs of this, that go straight into the mixer, are balanced, giving me a guitar that thinks it's plugged into a quality amp thats miked up with a SM57.

I also have Digitech pedal that can be plugged straight into the mixer using balanced jacks, but I don't like the sound of it that way.

What I do sometimes use is a POD 2, the outputs of which are balanced. Now it does sound great straight into a mixer and has a good compressor.

The pick up can make a hell of a difference to feedback. New strings are great for a bit more sustain and you guitar build can also be a contributing factor i.e thru-neck etc. There a some good deals on compressors at Ebay.co.uk. Boss pedals are always good for compressing

• 1 month later...