aberdeen-music

Through Aberdeen rush hour

Guest JockeySnogger

Guest MarkJDelaney

If this city, and others actually sat down and sorted out traffic flow there wouldn't be problems as bad as there are. These twats out in the country complaining against the city's by-pass are actual idiots. They just do not see WHY we need it. Look at how much traffic has to come THROUGH the city to get by it - that is including 18 wheelers and the likes <<< UNECCESSARY CONGESTION. What I am saying about funking stupid bus lanes is: Does it make sense to shut down a portion of the road during peak times? THAT causes even more UNECCESSARY CONGESTION. You hardly cut it down. Stand in the rain? Oh no. Cry me a river. Put a hood up or use an umbrella. Get in your car if it bothers you that much.

The reason congestion arises is from the control of traffic. Or lack there of. Amongst other factors, buses and their invitation only lanes play a nice role too.

I do think having to go through the city to get to the other side is really quite a poor way of going about especially with the size of roads/amount of traffic and where they are situated. Getting through Dundee seems to be much easier! All the need to do is fling a road around Aberdeen far enough away that it doesn't really impact the population too badly or destory any important areas of land. Ofcourse if you want you can by pass Aberdeen from Stonehaven/newtonhill/portlethen or even at bridge of dee round about. Hit the south deeside road then out into the country and come out near inverurie. I use this way to avoid Anderson drive but that said they aren't great roads from a safety point of view...that doesn't stop HGV's using them...nutters!

I do think that buses are a good idea. The main cause of congestion is probably single car drivers. The amount of single car users is crazy! If there were 4 people per car like they were designed to take then there would probably be near 75% less congestion at peak times. It stands to reason that 1 man in his 4.4 V8 Range Rover is being uneconmical whereas 35 people in a 7liter bus are making the trip in a much better fashion.

Guest MarkJDelaney

Cars were designed with the OPTION of 4. It doesn't mean that you should always carry 4 people. There's rare times when someone actually carries 4 people in their car to go to work etc.

Guest MarkJDelaney

I bet you wouldn't like someone telling you that you couldn't learn to drive because you didn't NEED to. I certainly funking wouldn't. Cars are hobbies, novelties and convenience-mobiles. But obviously a necessity for some.

I cycle in the summer, my work doesn't have showers, so it's a bit of a shit.

I am nae cycling in force 8's with sleet pishing in my face, not for anyone.

10 - 15 mins on a bike (in), 1/2 hour - 45 mins home (all uphill).

I drive a stupid large silver bus like "grande move" (a "mum" car if ever you saw one).

I cycle a no name, no brand silver mountain bike (150 quid from Rosemount cycles)