aberdeen-music

Buying a 4x12 cabinet + possibly a head also

HateEvent

Righty...

I currently have a Mesa Engineering Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Solo 50 combo. I want more bottom end. Do I:

A) Buy a Mesa Recto Standard 4x12 and use it with the combo as an extension cab?

B)Buy a Mesa Recto Standard 4x12 and use it with the combo as an extension cab and then sell the combo when I get some more money and buy a Dual Rectifier Solo head?

C)Buy a Mesa Recto Standard 4x12 and use it with the combo as an extension cab and then sell the combo when I get some more money and buy an ENGL Powerball head?

It will be generally for gigs in school hall sized places. 200ish people turnouts. Also for use of practicing/jamming with a drummer in my garage.

I want a sound similar to what I have but with more bottom end, it's too fuzzy. but with bass at 10, there's still not enough bottom end. Tweaking other settings hasn't helped. I've played about with it A LOT. Cranking the master volume makes it better but it doesn't have as much headroom as I'd like so doesn't stay as super clear at higher volumes.

I'm reasonably happy with my current sound but it's just a matter of more bass really and the same harsh level of gain (think Metallica - Live @#%$ San Diego type sound) without the fizziness.

I use a Custom Explorer with a mahogany body, rosewood top, EMG pickups as my main guitar and an ESP KH-2 Neck Thru as my second guitar. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition for the lower tuned stuff. A Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah and soon enough a Digitech Whammy are the only effects going in.

Opinions? James

I've played both the Powerball and the Mesa straight after each other, through their respective cabs. I thought the Powerball ws nicer - more control over sounds and less muddy. Plus, the stack for that is 1500 - less than the mesa head.

Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh have both stacks, and a insulated room in which you can try them out.

re

but dont feel it has to be a boogie, try other cabs and pick one for the sound not the name.

Na its not choosing it for the name, its more the fact that apparently it will give better bottom end from being bigger than traditional 4x12s. I'll need to give the Powerball a try as I've heard nothing but good things about it. I essentially want a Boogie tone but also be able to replicate the kinda sound Slayer got on 'God Hates Us All'. Now I know they use JCM800's but I don't want one of those. I've heard that the powerball can give both of these tones. Its basically getting a Slayer type tone out of the Mesa without being really loose and muddy thats a problem.

Any more advice greatly appreciated! James