aberdeen-music

Experimental Music Showcase this Thursday

prof_lofi

hi everyone,

a friendly reminder about the Experimental Music Showcase this Thursday at the student union in hilton campus, doors at 7pm, music starts bang on 7:30, F.R.E.E. :) come early!!!

this show we're featuring 'phonography' which is the art of field recording...recording of interesting environments/soundscapes etc...we've received submissions from artists from all across the u.k. everything from recordings of the sea, kyoto monasteries, christmas in mexico, convoys in glasgow, ships of off aberdeen,underground roads in Sweden, parking garages in leeds, gangsters in south england, siberian landscapes, banchory documentaries and much more. we have 5 artists presenting as well as playing submissions that were mailed in, in between sets. we'll also have 4 headphone installations set up in back with all of the submissions that were sent in available for listening before, after, and during intermission. oh, and the whole show will be play across 10 genelec speakers...should be nice!

more information can be found here (scroll over the description for a map) http://www.billthompson.org/experimentalmusicshowcase2.htm or feel free to email me directly if you have questions etc at billthompson@billthompson.org

hope to see you there,

b.

www.billthompson.org

Bill' date='

I have a vague memory of John Peel & Andy Kershaw playing bits of an album which had recordings of drag racing runs. Twas a lovely sound! Got anything like that included?

cheers,

Dave[/quote']

no drag races i'm afraid, but there's a great submission by a glasgow sound artist that was able to record a trucker's convoy who were driving through glasgow in a huge trail, bowing their horns...but each horn is a slightly different pitch so it's strangely musical...i think it's going to be a very strange, but very fun evening. are you going to make it down?

Gonna try my best to make it down as well.

cool! bring some friends...it'll be a weird show, not to be repeated for a while....(like atleast a year)

also, in case anyone's interested...if you come and like what you hear and think "i've heard something that would fit in this show!" as in a cool sound 'spot' scape etc that you've heard and could record, why not record those soundscapes and submit them next year? we'll be doing this annually...and we're submitting the show to Resonance FM in london to get airplay...come see if it's something you'd like to do...

Siberian Landscapes sounds pretty ace. I will hopefully be there! :cheers:

i like it..it's the only 'long' submission from someone not attending that i didn't do an exerpt from...this guy went on a long trip to siberia via a train thinking he'd record sounds the whole way...but the further he went the less sounds there were! to the point where he was only recording the sounds of the recording equipment's self-noise and some wind...so this is a reconstruction that sort of chronicles the experience into a 12 minute piece...this one and the one by stollery are the only sets that aren't straight recordings from one sitting...but both are really good and the sounds themselves are left very natural. i think it's going to be a good night...i've included as many different types of soundscapes as i could to give it lots of variety and not just over-do the typical water/wind/traffic stuff (though, that's there too and pretty good ones at that :))

just been to your site - you think this'll run at Hilton on a monthly basis? I'm currently based there you see.....

well, that's my hope...the last thursday of every month is what we're shooting for, though it may vary depending on if another show conflicts with it etc...anyway, hope you can make some of them! so far they've been alot of fun to do and the union is actually a pretty decent space (until this summer when they demolish it) saaaad.

b.

Bill' date='

What was the mystery recording? Chilli and I were debating about what it could be.

I had a lovely night. Lovely to hear such a variety of field recordings. MMM drones are lovely......

Dave[/quote']

ahh, thanx dave....by mystery recording, do you mean the one that peter cusack asked not to reveal until after you heard it? it was a lone construction worker 15 stories below...i'm guessing he had some kind of hydrolic drill or shovel and it was reverbing off of the walls all the way up to peter's balcony where he was recording it.. it was great tol have you and chli there btw, really!