aberdeen-music

turntables/record players

Guest iamkelly

Guest iamkelly

Can anyone suggest a good turntable?

It only needs to play 45 and 33 (standard LP) RPM.

Oh..and it's just for playing records, not DJing or mixing (so it doesn't need any of those odd features.)

thanks

kel

If you do mean 78 rpm then you're going to have to look hard. If you do mean 45 rpm then any bog standard record deck will do the trick. What people pay hundreds of pounds for is direct drive decks (it works on magnatic induction rather than physical contact). Great for mixing, superfluous for listening to vinyl at home.

Guest iamkelly
Originally posted by soundian

If you do mean 78 rpm then you're going to have to look hard. If you do mean 45 rpm then any bog standard record deck will do the trick. What people pay hundreds of pounds for is direct drive decks (it works on magnatic induction rather than physical contact). Great for mixing, superfluous for listening to vinyl at home.

Ah! Thanks for catching that. I did mean to say 45. I already have a deck that plays 78 rpm (and it was almost impossible to find).

Magnetic induction? That sounds hi-tech, but effective. But I think I'm a bit too back-to-basics for that.

Thanks though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Main Agent

Also take into account the quality of the "cartridge" thats the bit where the stylus(or needle) is housed, the quality of this can really affect what sort of sound you get .

Originally posted by garygilmore:

How dull is this: "Which " magazine recommend the Pro-ject Debut II (around 135) as a "Best Buy" in their February magazine..but you can get a cheap deck for 50. Look out for second hand ones because if they are looked after a deck will last for years...it's how you look after the vinyl that counts.

Aye you can get a Bush turntable which might sound okay but what is the build quality like ? Once you hear a more expensive TT its unlikely you would be happy with the 50 squid model...

If you're on a tight budget buy second hand,

Dave